Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

IMO skip the 1/2 ton trucks....all of them. None of them, including the Ford, are really built as a "tow" truck. With an 8000 lb. trailer you are beyond the ability of a 1/2 ton to be able to tow well IMO. Look to the 3/4 tons.

You mentioned that it is your daily driver and implied (to me) that you didn't want a 3/4 ton because of that. Why? Believe me, I was in your shoes as some on the forum can attest and would NOT go to a 3/4 ton because of my perceptions of ride (I had a bad back), parking, etc. I wanted a better, safer towing experience so bit the bullet and got the HD 3/4 ton. At first I thought it was a spine cracker, but now I wouldn't change for the world and plan on getting a 1 ton next go round. I don't ever want a 1/2 ton for towing an RV of any size again. Now, if all I did was throw a washing machine in it or something a 1/2 ton would be fine.

Gas vs diesel. Your trailer isn't large enough for you to "need" a diesel. Is it the final size you will have? Do you have a growing family? If so, those are considerations you need to think about when you get the truck. Larger trailer many times means larger truck to be safe. If there isn't a possibility of going larger (REALLY think about that because so many do upgrade) then go with the gas engine if you think it will work. I pull my trailer (about 9400 loaded) with my Ram 6.4L gas and it does a very good job. Would a diesel do better? Yes, but at a significant cost. Does the 6.4L with this trailer make me want a diesel? No. IMO a diesel becomes a mandatory engine ("tool") when you exceed 10-11,000 lbs. It will work a gas engine too hard if you travel in any mountainous areas routinely.

Good luck on your choice(s). You can't go wrong with any of the big 3 diesels. If you decide on a gas engine realize the GM option 6.0 gives up 50 or so lbs. of torque to the Ram and Ford engines last I looked.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow