Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #31
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell View Post
It has been several years since we last looked at the HCs but unless they have made a major improvement, would not waste money on one. The interior trim falls off in many places. Worst feature is that the slide floors, when extended, do not match the permanent floor, creating a lip that is very easy to trip over. Look at the Montana floors and compare; huge difference.
Damn , gotta put our '14 up for sale before the interior falls apart or I or my wife trip and hurt ourselves - NOT A CHANCE

Old 01-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #32
cpaulsen

We just bought a 2018 HC 330RL........looked at a lot of Montanas. Have the king bed....double bathroom sinks.....4 point leveling....2 a/c's/1 with the heat pump. Could not be happier.

cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #33
Wicked1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
We just bought a 2018 HC 330RL........looked at a lot of Montanas. Have the king bed....double bathroom sinks.....4 point leveling....2 a/c's/1 with the heat pump. Could not be happier.
We are comparing the MHC 305RL to the Montana 3160, love the 6pt Hydraulic Auto Leveling but saving $15,000 getting the MHC 305 just seems to be the smart idea for ppl who camp 30-60 nights per year, doesn’t make sense to upgrade to something in the $65K range but I think the Montana quality is better then the MHC? Do you guys feel the same?

The Montana 3160RL has been discontinued so very hard to find one
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Comparing the Montana fifth wheels to the Montana High Country fifth wheels is comparing apples to oranges. There are enough SIGNIFICANT differences in construction and in equipment that a "one to one" comparison just can't be made. You can compare floorplans (some are similar) you can compare furniture (both models have the same color selections) you can compare air conditioners (Montana has two, HC has one is a heat pump in the Montana, both are heat pumps) you can compare refrigerators (both can be ordered with a residential or RV type refrigerator). After those similarities, the floor is constructed differently (solid floor in Montana, sandwich floor in HC), the leveling system is different (hydraulic in Montana, electric in HC), the slide mechanisms are different, axles are different, wheels/tires are different, pin box is different, 12" frame on Montana, 10" or 12" frame on HC (depending on length of trailer), Load Range G tires on Montana, LRF tires on HC, fiberglass front/rear caps on Montana, fiberglass front/conventional FILON rear on HC, Road Armor suspension kit on Montana, More-ryde CRE 3000 on HC, Wet bolt kit on Montana, not available on HC.

There are many similarities, but there are some significant differences. I'd suggest that it is a bit naïve to compare them just because they both say "Montana" on the front cap. They are two entirely different trailers built with significantly different construction techniques. The Montana uses "traditional" construction while the HC uses "light weight construction techniques" which means it weighs (by the advertisements) 1300-2500 pounds less than the Montana. Some things have to be significantly different to remove 1.25 tons of weight from a 40 foot trailer.

I'm not saying either is better or worse, more capable or not, more reliable than the other. I'm just saying that they aren't the same, and in some areas, they are night and day different.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #35
Wicked1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Comparing the Montana fifth wheels to the Montana High Country fifth wheels is comparing apples to oranges. There are enough SIGNIFICANT differences in construction and in equipment that a "one to one" comparison just can't be made. You can compare floorplans (some are similar) you can compare furniture (both models have the same color selections) you can compare air conditioners (Montana has two, HC has one is a heat pump in the Montana, both are heat pumps) you can compare refrigerators (both can be ordered with a residential or RV type refrigerator). After those similarities, the floor is constructed differently (solid floor in Montana, sandwich floor in HC), the leveling system is different (hydraulic in Montana, electric in HC), the slide mechanisms are different, axles are different, wheels/tires are different, pin box is different, 12" frame on Montana, 10" or 12" frame on HC (depending on length of trailer), Load Range G tires on Montana, LRF tires on HC, fiberglass front/rear caps on Montana, fiberglass front/conventional FILON rear on HC, Road Armor suspension kit on Montana, More-ryde CRE 3000 on HC, Wet bolt kit on Montana, not available on HC.

There are many similarities, but there are some significant differences. I'd suggest that it is a bit naïve to compare them just because they both say "Montana" on the front cap. They are two entirely different trailers built with significantly different construction techniques.
Not comparing them that way, Inknow they are different....

I am wondering do I spend less money and go for a MHC which will not last as long or cost as much then how much $ would I have to put in it to say bulletproof it????

Or do I spend more knowing the Montana is built better with better components and will last longer?

Main question I am curious to know is which unit seems to have more issues? I see tons of Montana’s around and talk to ppl who have owned them for years and are very happy. I talk to dealers about pricing and it is a nightmare to get a decent price on a unit.

MHC are priced way less so if I buy one how much will I lose in 3-5 years which is the length I plan to keep this next model.

I am more or less interested to see how many issues MHC have had verse a Montana owner, I think the Montana will hold up better so we are leaning towards a 3160 but man what a pita negotiating a price for one especially that they have been discontinued dealers want a ton of $ for them and won’t budge.
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

You can go to the NADA guides: http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs and do some comparisons of 3,4 or 5 year old trailers to see what the average retail is for each model. The original MSRP is listed with each model, so you can easily compute a "percentage of loss" for each trailer. That will give you some idea of how much each depreciates in a given period of time. Of course, the "false depreciation" factor will come into play when you consider that virtually NO trailer is ever sold for MSRP, so depending on how much discount you get, the percentage of depreciation will differ from those calculations.

Honestly, for me, I'd be more inclined to get a trailer that I like, with a floorplan that works for me at a price I can afford and I'd not be overly concerned with how much it will be worth 5 years from now. Things change so dramatically (think back to the gas shortage, the energy crisis, the downsizing of RV's). Who knows if we'll even be allowed to tow on public highways in 5 years????? Yes, I know that's an extreme statement, but just because a trailer is a "good investment" today doesn't mean anyone will want to buy it in 5 years, which makes it a complete loss.....

Any time you think recreational equipment, whether it's Ping golf clubs, a Chris Craft "yachet", a snowmobile or a ATV, chances are it'll cost you much more in dollars than you'll ever get out of it in "recreation". We buy them because we want them, not because it's a good investment......

As for which will last you the 5 years? Remember that the least expensive RV that Keystone builds, the Summerland, qualifies for the same 12 year financing that banks lend on the Montana and MHC, so from a "loss perspective" it looks like the banks expect the cheapest to last as long as the most expensive brands from Keystone, otherwise they'd only offer 36 month financing on them.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #37
sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
We are comparing the MHC 305RL to the Montana 3160, love the 6pt Hydraulic Auto Leveling but saving $15,000 getting the MHC 305 just seems to be the smart idea for ppl who camp 30-60 nights per year, doesn’t make sense to upgrade to something in the $65K range but I think the Montana quality is better then the MHC? Do you guys feel the same?

The Montana 3160RL has been discontinued so very hard to find one
This is a subjective question that only you can answer. What is "better" to you? What means "quality" to you? What things are important? What is worth investing an extra 15k? Do you think that paying more means you get better quality; "more"? How much money do you want to spend? How much can you spend? You have to do your homework; look at and feel the potential candidates; look for what you think is "quality"; look for what you think is important and what it's worth to you. The folks on this forum cannot possibly answer these things for you. It is a personal decision you have to make; preferably by eyes and hands on the potential units. I wouldn't EVER buy anything based on what someone thought was great or a great buy without seeing it, touching it, feeling it and trying it out.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:15 AM   #38
notanlines

Wicked1, if you pay about 62K for a Montana tomorrow at a big RV show and keep it five years the worth of that RV will be about 29K at that point. That in itself is running you $18 per day just for the ownership. Let's add in the 5-9% your broker could have been earning on your 62K. That's about $10-12 per day in earning power that you are throwing away. If you have to finance this beast rather than paying cash you are REALLY up the well know creek. How about I only lightly mention your new F350 Platinum, hitches, storage fees, insurance, tools, appurtenances, (those are high), maintenance.....
Fun costs money. A friend once told me that if I knew how much fun actually costs I wouldn't go there.
Take all this into consideration before you buy something. Yes, even before you buy that new Chevy Tahoe that sweet baby thinks she "needs."
I've got to bring this to an end because I've depressed myself so much I'm ready to sell everything and move into a Motel 6.....
2017 Mobile Suites
20K Reese slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #39
bwright

We've had our HC for 2.5 years and we love ours. Minimal issues and the ones we had are probably the same things with any RV. I am very happy with the way the fifth wheel tows compared to a TT. The 4 pt auto level works great and wouldn't be without one going forward.

2015 Montana High Country 353RL
2016 Ford F-350 6.7L Powerstroke
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, montana