Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
msuron

Back jack question (electric)

Just purchased a used 2011 Cougar High Country 291. It has electric jacks on the back end. When extending them, what if the camper is higher on one side than the other? Does one jack stop upon contact with the ground, and the other keep lowering until it also touches? Or will both jacks extend the exact same amount, thereby making me use blocks to even out the sides?

Thanks for the advice!
msuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Bluewater

the rear jack will automatically compensate for moat any ineven ground. Remember not to use them to lever or lift the rv. They help support only to keep the bounce and sway down.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Pmedic4

Rear Stabilizers

When I use mine, they somewhat level the RV, but I wouldn't count on them more than 1/2 inch or so. Using blocks on one side to level really won't help, since you really can't raise the RV with the stabilizers, like Bluewater says - note, they are called stabilizers not Jacks. Important subtle distinction.

If you are unlevel side to side, the best solution is to pull(or back) the RV onto blocks on the low side. I carry some pressure treated 2"x10" blocks for those uneven sites, back in past where I want to go ( If I can), and then pull the RV forward onto the 2 blocks on one side. I have enough to go up 2 pieces but haven't ever done that.

I'm also not a real stickler for 100% level, just don't want to walk into a 'funhouse' type of setting. Most people will mention the refrigerator has to be perfectly level, but that isn't so. Most important part of that is to make sure the condensate will run out the drain for the refrigerator pan, of course otherwise you'll get water everywhere you don't want it inside your RV.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
warsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuron View Post
Just purchased a used 2011 Cougar High Country 291. It has electric jacks on the back end. When extending them, what if the camper is higher on one side than the other? Does one jack stop upon contact with the ground, and the other keep lowering until it also touches? Thanks for the advice!
Yes.....they will self-adjust.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
pjhansman

The electric stabilizers on my Laredo are screw driven from a single drive, and as a result have no "self adjustment" feature.

I use blocks of different heights to ensure the rig is being lifted squarely.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
SkiSmuggs

Mine self adjust on my 2012 High Country 299RKS, but I level the trailer when I first pull in to the site with leveling blocks under the low side tires. And if the site drops off at the rear, I use more leveling blocks under the rear stabilizers so I don't hyper-extend them.
Remember the rear stabilizers are the last thing down and first thing up.