Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
dvn/ajn

Front Cap Insulation

Have a 2013 Mountaineer 295RKD' only have one a/c but noticed the bulk of the heat comes from in the closet which is in the front cap area. Just wondering has anyone ventured into this area. Thought about some of the commercial spray in insulation. Any comments or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
16K SuperGlide
dvn/ajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
sjturbo

My experience with our new/old (2010) Laredo today in the Arizona sun, 110', was that they do not insulate the front cap. I believe that I have read similar posts to that conclusion. I have not heard of an easy way to take care of the issue other than removing the cap?
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:35 AM   #3
WaltBennett

Haven't noticed that much of a difference in our Monty (yet), but if you do use a foam spray-in, be careful or you could end up with a lumpy looking cap. It takes a few minutes for it to completely expand, so be patient while shooting it in. Long story that I'd rather forget about why I know this!

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
Sparky

We have noticed the same issue with front cap heat. Because the ac does not have return air ducts we open the closet doors and put a fan on the floor of the closet (front cap) to push the hot air back into the living room. This seems to help significantly in keeping the bedroom cooler. We also close of the ac air unit discharge down to about 30% discharge which in turn pushes more cooled air out the bedroom ac ducts.
Keep your cool!
Pull Rite Hitch
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
pookie210

The owners manual for our new Cougar talks about circulation and suggests leaving closet doors cracked open in extreme warm and cold conditions to allow those areas to "breath". Something I never considered because doors are made to be closed to keep things out of sight right.

Walt, I too have um, shall we say personal experience with said spray foam. To this day my husband will not allow it in the house. Nor will he allow me in the aisles of the hardware store where it is displayed.

Happy camping!
pookie210 is offline   Reply With Quote