Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
club325

New Raptor 332ts.

Hello all. New to the forum and have ordered a Raptor 332 TS. We will hopefully take delivery at the beginning of August. My question is, does anyone pull this model or something similar with a 2009 Chevy 2500HD. Mine is a crew cab 2wd with Z71 package. If so, how does it pull? I plan on adding air bags. I currently own a KZ Durango fifth wheel that weighs approximately 9000 lbs. The new TH will weigh 13600 ish dry. I will also have a Polaris ranger 800XP in the garage that will add about 1300 lbs. I plan on immediately replacing the tires with LT tires. I may get G614's but have been looking at other tires in size 265/75/16 that are close in weight to the 3520 lb tires that come on the Raptor. These tires have a 3415 weight limit. Any opinions or experience would be appreciated.
club325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
CWtheMan

Personally I think your new trailer is going to be way to heavy for your current tow vehicle. It’s not what the truck can tow, it’s how much weight can it hold. At what point will the truck become overloaded and just how far overloaded are you going to comfortable? Adding features to help offset the overloading just compounds the overloaded condition.

If you have not signed the papers for the new trailer you still have leverage with the manufacturer about tire selection. Personally I think the wide tires you mentioned would be very bad for the trailer’s suspension system. It’s a question for the vehicle manufacturer. If you’re going to have a long term commitment to this new trailer you should consider a very minimum optional upgrade to some LRG, 16” tires. When maintained properly they will last longer than marginal tires and they have a higher (75 MPH) speed limit than your OE tires (65 MPH).

CW

OOPS! Sorry, a double post. It's also in another section.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
Drew Waller

332 ts

I have the Toy Hauler you are getting. I tow with a Chevy 1 ton dually Durmax. I wouldn't go smaller! I've had the 2500 HD diesel on a 38' 5er and it wouldn't stop the trailer very quick. It was a lighter trailer than you have now. The 332 is 1500 lbs. more than what I had before. You'll need ALL your brakes working GOOD, if some one pulls out in front of you. I didn't like sitting on pins and needles watching out for everybody pulling out on me! Just a word of caution.

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
C130

I pull our 2011 Fuzion 322 with a 2011 F250 and it pulls it great, plenty of power. My next truck will absolutely be a dually though as I want the stopping power and the rear stability. Personally, the brakes on the F250 aren't impressive at all to me and I don't care much for them. With the 5th wheel hooked up it actually stops fairly well but no matter what I'm not stopping real quick if someone pulls out in front of me. I still can't believe how many people pull the 40'-43' toy haulers with F250's and I don't care what they say it can't be a safe feeling. I was on a country road where the speed limit was 70 and I was going around 60-65 at most and the road got kinda rough. Several dips in the road and it felt like my suspension was bottoming out a few times. I have air bags but with the bouncing it was uncomfortable for a few seconds.

Just pulled our trailer from north of Houston to San Antonio area and I'm amazed at how inconsiderate and stupid people are. It was very heavy traffic for an hour and a half and no one will let you over and then they pull right in front of you and slam on the brakes. The more space you allow the more people that cut in front of you. Off my soap box now, I just love Houston drivers.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
maxx1963

I tow a 2008 Fuzion 362 which is 39'6" and when I am loaded with quads and no water it weighs about 15,000. My 2005 2500HD duramax tows it like a dream. Of course a dually would be nice for stability, but in a campground it is sure nice to not have that wide truck. I have driven big rigs for the last 14 years so i know a thing or two about loads. With the triple axle on the trailer it rides very smooth. I have never had a problem with swaying. If brakes are an issue, first off just learn to give yourself plenty of room from the car ahead of you, you cannot drive these like it is a 24' travel trailer behind you. And second get a compression brake installed. I personaly think it is very doable with your truck, at least try it and if you dont feel comfortable with it then get a dually. DEFINITELY get air bags!!! Just dont be in a hurry, take it easy. I only drive 60 even in a 70 zone, I guess thats the trucker in me, notice all the speed limit signs usually say truck speed limit 60.

2005 2500HD CCLB Duramax. LBZ mouthpiece, factory CAI mod, Diamond eye "quiet" downpipe back exhaust/ Reese elite under bed rail hitch
2008 Fuzion 362
2008 KFX 700
2007 Yamaha Wolverine(wife's)
2002 Suzuki LT-A50(daughter's)
1995 Yamaha G14 golf cart
maxx1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
kettle moraine

We've been pulling a new 332 since april with a duramax dually. Pulls real nice but she is heavy. The weight in the bed is what you'll notice. At least 1k more pin weight than our last one and probably 2k more overall. It levels out the suspension on our dually. I'm sure you can pull it with a single wheel, but I'd rather have a dually.
kettle moraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
rdrunr

I have the same model as you for 3 weeks now.

We bought a new 2012 left over Ram 3500 dually with Cummins of course, extended cab, Laramie Longhorn 4x4 with the 8' box to tow the 332TS and with the weight of that 5er...I could not imagine towing it with anything smaller than that monster truck!
rdrunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
club325

Thanks again for all of the replies. After pulling it home (3 hour trip) my worries have gone bye bye. It is definately heavier than the old 5th wheel, but is manageable. Stopping was no issue after setting the gain to its proper setting. I did already have it loaded because I took most of the stuff we keep inside and put it in the trailer before heading home. I did not have a toy in it. I did have the Goodyear G614's put on before picking it up so I wasn't worried about a china bomb going off...Not that I went very fast. Top speed was 65 mph. The only thing I still want to do it to have the back truck wheels weighed by a Truck Enforcement friend to get my loaded weight. I will keep yall posted when I do in case anyone else in interested in this model.
BTW, weight on this trailer from factory was 13180. According to the label, this weight accounts for full fresh water tanks (fresh and hot water) and empty grey and black tanks. Mine also does not have the outside kitchen option or the back pario option so this reduced some weight but I do have the generator. Was told that advertised weights include ALL options from Keystone and the full fresh water. The 13180 was on the shipping documents.
club325 is offline   Reply With Quote