Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
jambull

can you walk on the roof ?

I want to install a new wingman to our wineguard antenna and was wondering if others have got onto their RV roofs without damaging the rooftop ...any suggestions ???
Old 07-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
SLIMSHADIE

I walk on mine all the time. Just be careful. Also wish it came with a ladder.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:08 AM   #3
floydsheating

Exclamation ...

its fine until you realize that your lying on the living room floor looking through your brand new impromptu sky light! i avoid getting on my roof at all costs!
floydsheating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
campingcpl

They walk on the roof at the factory to install and seal the A/C, tv antenna, stereo antenna, roof vents, and roof trim. They also walk on the roof after putting the roof decking on to rout out all the openings. So I don't see a problem with you walking on the roof.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

I have been up on my roof numerous times and have yet to end up on "the living room floor looking up at my brand new skylight". Like walking on any roof, use common sense and you will be alright.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
kenn209

I'd be more concerned of falling off the roof onto the ground than the living room.
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
Flyguy

It's not the fall, it's that sudden stop!!
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
MackDaddy

Im about 220lbs and I didnt have any probs on my roof. Good Luck

2005 Ford F250 Lariat CC 6.0 PSD
2010 32' Keystone Laredo 303TG
MackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
floydsheating

Talking i was told not to...

my dealer told me that it was a bad idea and they showed me a picture of one trailer with a big hole in the roof from what looks to be were somebody broke through but i just choose to be a little cautious and i dont want to take the chance.

2010 Summerland 2520 RD
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
floydsheating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
jambull

thanks for all the replies ...well..seems to me it must be safe enough from all the positive comments ..have any others on here installed a wingman to their wineguard antenna ? and has it gained you any extra channels and better signal reception?..
Old 07-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
Jim W

Hi, I installed one on my older 5TH wheel and I did not see any improvement with the addition of the Wingman to the antenna. I do have to state that I had to added a digital convert to the TV system. My older camper had an analog TV in it so this may have been part of the problem also.
I have notice an improvement over the older analog TV with the newer digital TV in the Cougar, we now own. We camp at the same park this year with the grand kids and the picture was better and had more channels available then last year.
Hope this Helps?
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambull View Post
thanks for all the replies ...well..seems to me it must be safe enough from all the positive comments ..have any others on here installed a wingman to their wineguard antenna ? and has it gained you any extra channels and better signal reception?..
Yes I have installed a Wingman and no extra channels but a little stronger signal. Would I do it again ... yes ... the cost was minimal and VERY easy to install.
As for your original concern .. I am 250+ lbs. and I walk on my roof at least twice a year to clean it and inspect sealant on vents and other openings. Use caution and common sense and you will be fine. Dealers want you to pay them to clean the roof and seal vents ... you can bet that they will be walking on it. If it makes you feel better go to the Keystone website and check under the construction of your model. I'm sure it mentioned walk on roof for my Cougar.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #13
Seann
Permanent User Ban

If you walk on the roof make sure there is no debris in the soles of your shoes that could cut the rubber roof. If you have a roof that is thin ,like on my keystone Zeppelin then I recommend that you cut some 8" wide sheets of plywood to distribute your weight over more of the roof.
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #14
Flyguy

Good advice Seann, I couldn't agree more.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #15
SLIMSHADIE

Probably a little dangerous, but I leave my flip flops at the bottom of the ladder and use my bare feet, for that reason. With the velvet soft rubber it doesn't feel slippery at all, even when cleaning.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
jambull

well,thank you all for the info ,my trailer roof info does not say its a walk on , so will take peoples advise and spread out a sheet of plywood to distribute the weight ..also I have a buddy who clicks the scales in at like 140 lbs so he is small enough and light enough to move around up there...also from what I can see in their video ( wingmans) its a simple install ..so if we are lucky he will not be up there too long ...again thank you all for your tips and suggestions and words of wisdom ( newbie here ) thanks again ...
Old 07-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #17
Festus2
Site Team

I see that you tow your 278RLS Bullet with a Ford Ranger p/u. How does this combination work for you? ( I realize that this has nothing to do with your original question about walking on the roof but wondering if you find the truck a bit on the "small" side --- even tho the Bullet is categorized as a Lite Weight?????)
Old 07-26-2010, 03:50 AM   #18
jambull

yes ,it may seem like a small truck but it tows the bullet quite well. the only time we have had any trailer sway was a trip we made last weekend. we were on a bumpy back road hwy and the wind was blowing at least 40-50 kms a hour . it was not dangerous or anything ,just slowed down a bit and she settled down . so far, other then that one time have not seen a need to add a sway bar and we have driven it at speeds of 100 kms a hour on better paved hwys. before buying the truck we did a bit of homework (newbie trailer owners,but have camped lots of times)..its a FX4 ranger 4x4,126 inch wheel base, 4 liter 6 cyl engine with a class 3 receiver . also in stock form it has a automatic transmission cooler with a 4.10 limited slip rear gear. only thing I added to it so far is K+N air filter,and a pro net cargo tailgate net for improved gas mileage,and added a prodigy 2 brake controller ,7 point wiring harness, a husky weight distribution hitch and Ciba door mounted mirrors so we could tow the bullet . not too sure about the gas mileage but its not too bad.. checking out truck models we still wanted decent gas mileage to go sight see after we set up our site . and to be honest the only thing I find small on the truck is the interior , my fault not fords... ...who knows I may have gotten lucky and it doesn't think its a "little" truck ...
Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #19
Bowline

Check that Roof!

When we purchased our RV in October, the first thing we had done was to have a ladder installed. It is crucial that you get up there to check out the seals and regularly apply UV screen to the plastic parts such as the air conditioner shroud, vent caps, plastic parts of the TV antenna, etc. (I try to do mine every 6 weeks during the summer.)

So many people neglect their roofs and pay for it when leaks develop. If you are concerned about your weight bending the roof trusses, just get down on your hands and knees to distribute the weight. It's safer, anyway.
Bowline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #20
Stargazer

I downloaded the FAQ from the Keystone web site and this is the official statement on walking on your roof:

Q-Can I walk on my rubber roof?
Yes, with a few exceptions as noted (Springdale, Cabana, and Outback). Our roofs utilize 3/8” plywood underlayment and are designed to be walked on. Please, always use caution when working on top of any RV.

I had no problems going up and installing my roof vent covers and Wineguard Wingman, but getting down was another issue. It's a bit freaky hanging over the rounded roof edge without anything to hold on to. I know my wife told me that my foot was only 1 inch away from the top step of the ladder, but I couldn't see anything . Unfortunately, it's not possible to install a ladder on my Premier because there isn't any wall support for it.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote