Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
Pete B

Tv reception

Have a 2018 hideout and tv reception is terrible. Same campsite as last year and now can only get 2 stations clearly. Last year I could get 15. Any suggestions?
Pete B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
Frank G

Is the antenna amplifier turned on? are you able to point the antenna or is it omnidirectional?
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
wobly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
Have a 2018 hideout and tv reception is terrible. Same campsite as last year and now can only get 2 stations clearly. Last year I could get 15. Any suggestions?
We have a 2019 Cougar 29BHS that we picked up last weekend. We immediately took it out to a close-by full-hookup camping area that gets great TV reception. When I tested it at the dealer earlier in the day, it was under a metal awning and the tech said that the awning always made reception suck. But, out under the trees, it wasn't any better. So, I started searching the internet on the Wineguard Omni-direction antenna and found that the Antenna Booster needs to be turned on. That began the search for the Antenna Booster. I looked behind the TV in the living room and it wasn't located there. But, I remembered that we had an area in the bedroom for a TV to mount so I checked and, sure enough, the TV booster switch is located on the mount that doesn't have a TV on it. Once I turned it on, I picked up 42 channels.

I wrote the long explanation so that somebody else knows to search for other areas on the RV than where you think it should be.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
Pete B

Yes I have the power booster on and it is Omni directional
Old 05-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
Yes I have the power booster on and it is Omni directional
Now go to tv setup menu, select antenna, & scan channels.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #6
Pete B

I know how to do all that stuff. If I am able to get a few channels then I did all of that stuff.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
Mikendebbie

Maybe there is a loose coax connection at the antenna or behind the booster. Do you have a way to hook up some rabbit ears or some other antenna to the TV to see if things work better? That would point to a problem with either the antenna/booster or with the Tv.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
Frank G

The omni-directional antennas Sxxx. Replace with a King jack directional

Just my opinion.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:45 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd have to first ask: What changed from last year???

Is this the same trailer, antenna and TV? If so, then there's a "system breakdown" somewhere. Antenna connectors corroded? Booster on the blink? TV electronics failure? Coax connector problems somewhere inside a wall?

If this is a new trailer, then it could also be "sub-standard equipment" or any of the above. I'd first take the TV out of the trailer and try it at home with a "known good signal". If it works, then start "back tracking" until you find the problem. There are a number of "less than the best" antennas that are bring installed on new RV's (from every trailer manufacturer). It could be the antenna quality or ????

If the trailer is new and you want the hassle of "wait and hope" from the dealership, take it in for service. It'll probably be faster and less frustrating to just do some "self service"...... Plus, if it is the antenna quality, the dealer won't replace it with a better antenna unless you "pay for the upgrade" so might as well save the expense, unless you just like donating to the dealer's wellbeing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
Pete B

New camper......will try a few things when I get home.....thanks for all replying
Old 05-28-2018, 04:14 AM   #11
Pbtman

Pete. We feel your pain, buddy. I’m exploring different options. Our old trailer had the “batwing” crank up antenna and booster. Worked a lot better. The new trailer has the little omnidirectional antenna and booster. Gets about 4 channels at the same campground that we used to get 12.
I don’t mind the King directional except for boring more holes in the roof. I may see if replacing the omnidirectional with the King brand omnidirectional will improve it and I would also replace the factory booster unit with the King model.
2012 Ram 1500 4x4 Longhorn Edition
Pbtman is offline   Reply With Quote