Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
larrym

Fuel price breaks?

While moving from Alaska to Texas last year, I made two trips, one towing, the other in a motor home. I never found any deals on fuel, except for extremely high mileage users, like long haul truckers.

I see one outfit, Flying J, offers RVers a .03 discount on fuel, but are there any little known discounts or "clubs" along the highways and byways that offer benefits, fuel mostly?
Banks SpeedBrake w/IQ
18K Superglide
RideRites & Pump
8-71 Blown '68 Nova SS
21' Interceptor 212BR
'23 T-Bucket, Tunnel Ram 427 BBC

https://banners.wunderground.com/weat...t=40 width=467
larrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
gkainz

Safeway, King Soopers, other grocery chains (maybe?) offer a 2 or 3˘ discount with their shopper card, and 10˘ (once per month, I think?) if you purchase $100 a month with them.

Costco/Sam's Club seem to have a discount over going rate built into their price. Sadly, my 2 closest Costco's don't have diesel.

I use a smartphone app called Gas Buddy to find cheapest fuel.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
Safeway, King Soopers, other grocery chains (maybe?) offer a 2 or 3˘ discount with their shopper card, and 10˘ (once per month, I think?) if you purchase $100 a month with them.

Costco/Sam's Club seem to have a discount over going rate built into their price. Sadly, my 2 closest Costco's don't have diesel.

I use a smartphone app called Gas Buddy to find cheapest fuel.
also Pentagon Federal credit union has a charge card that gives you 5% credit on fuel purchases at the pump. It all adds up. No annual limit on purchases for the credit, unlike many of the other cards that limt the monthly or annual fuel purchases for credit.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

WalMart is still offering their 10 cent/gal discount if you use "their charge card" or "their gift card" We have a gift card and while we're shopping, I add $100 to that, then just use the gift card at the pump. I hate charging gas, so we just keep a "minimum balance on the gift card, and when we get low on fuel, just add some to the total. Seems to work for us, plus WalMart seems to have some pretty competetive prices most places, add the discount, they're usually the cheapest. In this area, they are about 6 cents cheaper than Sam's. And, from what my experience has been, Sam's cards are not honored at WalMart or vice versa....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
geo

Gkainz is correct in the proper geographical area. Here in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, Safeway sold out about 23 years ago. In our area, for grocery stores, try Kroger and their loyalty card. You get a ten cent per gallon discount on 35 gallons for every $100 worth of groceries. It is cumulative, so if you buy $300 groceries, you can get 30 cents per gallon discount on 35 gallons, etc. No limit per month, but credit for grocery purchases do not carry over month to month.

Not all Krogers have gas, and not all Krogers with gas stations have diesel. And even just buying fuel, the Kroger card gets you a 3 cent per gallon discount on unlimited gallons.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
larrym

Thanks guys, I use an HEB grocery chain card here in central Texas for 11 cents off at the pump, until January 1st, then they'll probably renew the offer. I didn't think of the Walmart connection, curious how many are close to major highway on/off ramps.

I have an iphone application as well, looks like it relies on user input to keep prices up to date.
Banks SpeedBrake w/IQ
18K Superglide
RideRites & Pump
8-71 Blown '68 Nova SS
21' Interceptor 212BR
'23 T-Bucket, Tunnel Ram 427 BBC

https://banners.wunderground.com/weat...t=40 width=467
larrym is offline   Reply With Quote