Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #1
Skiho3020

fender skirt 326 RDS

Hello, I just bought and brought home a 2018 Cougar 326 RDS last night. While driving home I noticed in the mirror that the fender skirt was flapping in the wind. I pulled over to inspect what was loose and found that the screws holding the fender skirt were loose and stripped out. someone overtightened them so there was no way to fully secure things. Since the part wasn't secured properly, the bottom "main support" of that piece of plastic broke. It looks like it was attached to some aluminum stud from the bottom of the slide.

Wondering what the chances are of getting help to replace this piece? I am 3 hours from the dealer I bought it from and I am more than capable of replacing the plastic fender skirt. I plan to buy some larger self tapping screws to secure it in place but it must have that bottom support which broke to stay in place.

Thank you for any info you can provide! Love the layout and hate seeing you are discontinuing the floor plan.

THANK YOU
Skiho3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Check out this link. It's a forum thread that deals specifically with what you're attempting to do. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...fender+bracket

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiho3020 View Post
Hello, I just bought and brought home a 2018 Cougar 326 RDS last night. While driving home I noticed in the mirror that the fender skirt was flapping in the wind. I pulled over to inspect what was loose and found that the screws holding the fender skirt were loose and stripped out. someone overtightened them so there was no way to fully secure things. Since the part wasn't secured properly, the bottom "main support" of that piece of plastic broke. It looks like it was attached to some aluminum stud from the bottom of the slide.

Wondering what the chances are of getting help to replace this piece? I am 3 hours from the dealer I bought it from and I am more than capable of replacing the plastic fender skirt. I plan to buy some larger self tapping screws to secure it in place but it must have that bottom support which broke to stay in place.

Thank you for any info you can provide! Love the layout and hate seeing you are discontinuing the floor plan.

THANK YOU

You probably already know that this forum is not affiliated with Keystone in any way but the highlighted part made me think I needed to state that to be sure.

As far as replacing the fender; I had one side replaced 3 times and the other once on warranty. They sent so many that I still have a spare in my barn. They might send a fender with just your pics but you will have to go through the dealer to get it. All of mine were sent to the dealer and they put them on with the exception of the last one.

If they are discontinuing the model you need to check right away to make sure you can get a fender. My model was discontinued and they ran out of fenders in the right color. The last one had to be painted to match the other.

If the fenders are split, ie; have to be cut because they cross a slide, you may have the same issue I did - a bed design for the fender. It funneled wind under it and kept it flopping. I had to fabricate new supports under the front "scoop" edges to eliminate that plus install "finish"? washers under the heads with 8x32 speed nuts on the back side. They have held up for 3 years now. I do go by about twice a year a check them with a screwdriver.

If you have cracks that need repair I've had good success with JB Weld (gray - the color of the fender).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
Skiho3020

we have the same issue....it is a split fender and catches air. they are discontinuing that model, but the fender should be identical to what is replacing what we bought....lets cross our fingers though!!!

Thank you again for your insight how this isn't linked to Keystone.
Skiho3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

If the fender is split on the trailer they (or you) will have to cut it. I had them order another one once because the person cutting the fender apparently had double or triple vision .....and I caught it with my tri focals!

If you do it yourself I will say that the guys putting mine on at the shop could REALLY run a bead of sealant on the top of the fender. I can run a pretty good bead but theirs was excellent.

At the mouth of the fender cut I used the thinner, 1" aluminum strips from HD and formed them to fit between the fender and the trailer and secured them with self tapping screws/speed nuts. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote