Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #21
cobiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Top connection is your winterize port, middle connection is your fresh water or tank fill and the bottom is your black tank flush and if you have a 1/2 bath, the black tank flush for the back bath is possibly on the opposite side of your RV.
The top valve needs to be vertical as it is to shut off your winterizing and the middle valve should be horizontal for city water hookup like in a campground or as it is on fill for fresh tank fill. Bottom valve is obviously for water heater bypass open or closed.
So I want to complete filling the fresh water tank, but a couple questions still. Currently I'm also getting water coming out of the HW tank. Should I have the bottom bypass closed so I don't fill the HW tank? Then when I turn on the water pump, I will then open the bypass and then let the clorinated water fill the HW tank.
Pullrite Superglide 24K
cobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #22
AbHDToyHauler

Has the anode rod been screwed back in ? If not the water will flow out of the water heater as it's trying to fill it up .
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:21 AM   #23
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Can I question the circumstances a little further? You ran city water in through the black tank flush and filled the 40 gallon tank and then what? Any reason the water didn't simply run up the vent to the roof?

Perhaps the tank can't hold the pressure required to push the water out the vent? If the pipe is 10' vertical, it'd be 4# or so. When we leak test a 275 gal metal fuel oil tank we only put about 2# of air pressure on it.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #24
Learnites

Make sure to use a pressure Regulator on your City water hookup. A city water line can easily pop the plastic back flow valve located on top of the hot water heater.... Pop that valve and you cannot get the hot water out of the tank until you fix it.
2015 371 Fuzion
Hensley TS3 Hitch
Firestone Airbags
Learnites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:42 AM   #25
armyav8r58d

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Ptooti, i’d Like to have someone explain that to me.
So, last year we went to a 3 day food truck festival. We spent way too much time and money at the taco trucks, and on day two one of my kids decided to get some sort of stomach bug. Anyway, we get packed to leave and I mention that I have to flush the black water tank before we leave, and that was about the 3rd thing on my list to do. Well my wife decided to take it upon herself to start the flush while I was away taking care of our boat. When I returned, it was pure chaos. The valve was closed, flush was on full blast and what appeared to be a chocolate fountain was blasting out of the vent tube on the roof. Inside, my daughter decided to see what the strange noise was in the toilet and stepped on the toilet pedal to look inside. Her nickname is now "The Brown Noise" due to the sounds she was heard making while trying to simultaneously scream, gag, vomit, and run.

It was everywhere.

So, during the cleanup, I noticed a few things. The tank stayed intact however, I did have to remove the plastic and insulation from the bottom to clean out the "sludge" around the tank (and I'm still really not sure where that came from). The only backup into the system was when the pressure was released when the toilet opened up, and the previously mentioned fountain.

Cleanup of the "poopcastrophy" consisted of pulling my rig to some grass in my backyard, a ladder, a pressure washer with a diluted bleach wash, a Tyvex suit, gloves, and every curse word I could think of in 4 hours. I replaced a few things, but other than that, she's back in service and ready to head out this weekend to start our season.

My wife has vowed to NEVER take it upon herself to help out with ANYTHING unless I ask and give explicit instructions.
armyav8r58d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #26
notanlines

Army, that is one story I’ll think about for a long time. And very well written. And I for one plan to learn by your family’s mistake! And thank you for your service from a Marine Corps family!
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #27
mhbell

Happened to me

Back about 7 or 8 years ago we pulled into a RV park that we stay at in Texas. I had a new to me 5th wheel a Jayco Designer that I bought used. The Fresh water and Flush inlets were not marked and where close together on the side of the RV. I got distracted by some friends in the park. and hooked the hose up to the Flusher instead of the Fresh water inlet. Walked over to chat with friends when I heard my wife yell. When I got back over to the rig my wife said we have a water leak and I turned off the water. When I investigated the black tank had broken through the bottom of the protective cover and was lying on the ground with brown sludge running out. brown specks all over the roof and around the area. The tank had swelled and bent the metal rails on the frame that holds the tank in. and when it fell it broke all of the plumbing pipes for the sewer. It took me 3 days to repair the pipes, put the tank in place and seal up the bottom. I had a commercial company come and clean around the 5th wheel and pressure wash the roof and sides. Lucky nothing got inside. What a mess to clean up and repair. I bought some red finger nail polish and painted red all around the Flusher inlet fitting.
Mel
Old 05-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #28
ptooti

I figured something really bad could happen OMG!

It's not funny at the time ..... but my sides are hurting and I can hardly see while writing this, Thankyou for sharing this experience I'm sorry your daughter had to go through that! and hopefully she recovers from such an experience and is able to laugh..... you are stronger than me I would have just burned it lol good story with a good moral ..... Sh!t happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8r58d View Post
So, last year we went to a 3 day food truck festival. We spent way too much time and money at the taco trucks, and on day two one of my kids decided to get some sort of stomach bug. Anyway, we get packed to leave and I mention that I have to flush the black water tank before we leave, and that was about the 3rd thing on my list to do. Well my wife decided to take it upon herself to start the flush while I was away taking care of our boat. When I returned, it was pure chaos. The valve was closed, flush was on full blast and what appeared to be a chocolate fountain was blasting out of the vent tube on the roof. Inside, my daughter decided to see what the strange noise was in the toilet and stepped on the toilet pedal to look inside. Her nickname is now "The Brown Noise" due to the sounds she was heard making while trying to simultaneously scream, gag, vomit, and run.

It was everywhere.

So, during the cleanup, I noticed a few things. The tank stayed intact however, I did have to remove the plastic and insulation from the bottom to clean out the "sludge" around the tank (and I'm still really not sure where that came from). The only backup into the system was when the pressure was released when the toilet opened up, and the previously mentioned fountain.

Cleanup of the "poopcastrophy" consisted of pulling my rig to some grass in my backyard, a ladder, a pressure washer with a diluted bleach wash, a Tyvex suit, gloves, and every curse word I could think of in 4 hours. I replaced a few things, but other than that, she's back in service and ready to head out this weekend to start our season.

My wife has vowed to NEVER take it upon herself to help out with ANYTHING unless I ask and give explicit instructions.
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #29
Triplecee

Smile Keystone Instructions

On my previous 2010 Mountaineer I had the same problem with lack of written instructions as to how the external control panel features should be used so I took a series of photos and reworked them to identify what each of the ports and switches did. Then I set them for different operation - e.g. winterizing, normal operation, black water tank flushing, etc.

The pictures helped my aging memory and it was smooth sailing (RVing, actually) after that. I did the same for my new 2018 High Country.

I found much of the Keystone Owners Manual to be too general and not instructive for what my particular RV's configuration required.

I offered the photos and explanations to the dealership that I bought from in 2010 but don't know whether they used them or not.

Wouldn't it be nice if Keystone would publish a manual specific to your make of RV with a few pictures to illustrate how things should be set and used? They basically leave it up to the dealer to tell you how things work but six to nine months after that I had forgotten what was said in the one-time demonstration.

By the way, I also undid a handful of screws and took photos of the back side of the control panel so I could get an idea of what connections went where. It was easy to do up again.

The fuse panel was my next photo project (it's handy to have photoshop-like software to edit and add text to photos). The handwritten identification on the panel was illegible in some cases so I added printed text and now it's very clear as to what fuse controls what circuits.

I'm no deep thinker. It's pretty simple stuff.

2010 Mountaineer 326RLT;
2007 Silverado Duramax 2500HD LTZ
Triplecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #30
amsoiltek

The one thing I did on my PDI was to have the dealer fill all tanks to full and beyond to make sure the tanks had no splits and the all the plumbing was glued and not leaking. The dealer was not really happy to pump over 200 gallons of water in the rig and I told them no sale if you don't.

After doing that I said keep the fresh water tank filled so I can test the integrity of the tank on tow home which I then used the water to water my lawn!. I did make a suggestion to the dealer that they should purchase a 500 gal poly tank and set up a recycling system for PDI'ng new or repaired rigs, they now have that system, sure wished I would have cashed in on that idea!
2019 Cougar 362RKS
amsoiltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #31
HD Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptooti View Post
just a question to ponder it says on my unit that running the blackwater flush without having dump valve open can force unsanitary water backward into the system?
It can back black water up through the toilet or other areas where BW plumbing runs. Always have the BW valve open when you flush. Simple enough.
HD Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:39 AM   #32
Rich332ts

Did the same thing but thank goodness it didn't damage the the black tank . I probably put about 30 gallons in before I realized it.
Rich332ts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raptor, winter, winterizing