Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
Sca18

Brake controller

I have a question it's time for a new truck and the newer ones have the brake controller intergraded in the truck.A few people have told me with that set up a sway bar is no longer needed. the truck senses the sway and corrects via the brake on the trailer and corrects itself we don't have a large trailer outback 240 urs. I think the sway would be extra insurance. I'm looking at the gmc 1500 but I think this is pretty standard on all trucks now not brand specific can anyone who has this setup give any feed back likes dislikes with the built in controller etc. thanks
Sca18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

My truck is a 3/4 ton with a brake controller but that doesn't matter.

The built in controller is nice when you get it set up. The "sway control" you speak of built into a truck DOES NOT replace a wdh/sway control. If you are thinking of a 1/2 ton to tow your 240 you must have the wdh/sway control regardless of what the truck is equipped with IMO if you want to be safe. I would also recommend a wdh with sway control built in, not the little friction bars that fit on an extra ball beside the hitch ball along with 4 point. Safety is not the place to take shortcuts or make assumptions.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Gegrad

Yeah, even with the integrated brake controller you still want to use a WDH with sway control, preferably one with built in sway. The built in controller just helps activate the trailer brakes and truck brakes more efficiently in the event of an emergency and during normal braking. It does nothing to prevent the sway before it begins like a good WDH does.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:44 PM   #4
FlyingAroundRV

Geez Danny, I hate agreeing with you all the time! ;-)

The built in brake controllers in the trucks only activate the brakes as a whole, they don't perform ant-sway function unless there is a dual circuit to the brakes on the trailer. I have a friend who has a trailer that has electronic anti-sway that does use the brakes, but the control is built into the trailer, not the truck.

That said, I don't like that system at all. 1) It uses the brakes on the trailer so it relies on electrical power to keep you safe. 2) Because it uses the brakes, it adds extra wear on the brakes and the trailer tires. 3) because it uses braking to control the trailer, it must increase your gas consumption. and 4) Because it's an active, electronic system, the first you might know that it has failed is when that big 18 wheeler whistles past and suddenly the trailer is out in front of you instead of being behind.

I also agree that the best system is to have a WDH that has the anti-sway combined. We have the Husky centerline and it is quick and easy to hitch up. The bars do WD duty and anti-sway. I've seen other setups with seperate devices for WD and for ant-sway. They would take longer to hitch and go (IMO).

Finally, with a 240 size trailer and a 150 size truck, you would be a lot safer and have more relaxed towing with anti-sway control than without it. And isn't that what's important? We're out there to have fun. White knuckle towing is not fun!
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:38 AM   #5
Fishsizzle

Pick up a new F450. No weight distribution hitch with sway control needed, just a deep wallet.

2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
Bisjoe

My truck with integrated controller has sway control but I still use a weight distribution/sway control hitch setup. Better for the truck to not have to slow you down to correct if the hitch can minimize the sway. It's not that expensive to have that additional safety. Mine was about $500, a small expense when you consider the cost of the truck and trailer.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Pick up a new F450. No weight distribution hitch with sway control needed, just a deep wallet.

Lots of truck! Sounds like he was towing with the wind in one direction and against it in the other. It would have been more telling if he had towed with the wind from the side but I'm sure it would have probably been acceptable because that's.....Lots of truck!!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #8
B-O-B'03

I found out, on our last trip to west Texas, that our F150 has some kind of sway control built in.

We were driving into an oblique head wind, that had to be 40+ MPH and a couple times the truck slowed down and "sway" or some such lit up in the dash... I had no idea it was there and yes, we have a WDH with sway control.

-Brian
Old 11-27-2018, 04:55 AM   #9
Dblhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
I found out, on our last trip to west Texas, that our F150 has some kind of sway control built in.

We were driving into an oblique head wind, that had to be 40+ MPH and a couple times the truck slowed down and "sway" or some such lit up in the dash... I had no idea it was there and yes, we have a WDH with sway control.

-Brian
Does the F150 built in sway control only work if you have the Ford OEM brake controller or will it work with an add on brake controller?

2018 Keystone Hideout 177lhs (Ethel)
2015 F-150 V-8 (Fred)
Dblhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #10
iteach72

how should you tow using he automatic enhanced tow package. on gmc 1500
iteach72 is offline   Reply With Quote