Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
Dave Gamble

Fuel Stops: what's the secret for minimizing trauma?

I'm comfortable with every aspect of towing our Cougar 26RBS except for one thing: I can't seem to get into and out of gas stations without great effort and stress. It seems as if the pump islands are almost always oriented to be front/back with the store, leaving very little room to get in/out with the trailer, in almost all stations, including Pilot/Flying J (who ought to know better).

Of course, no matter which way the islands are oriented, once in there is still the issue of finding an entire pump island open so I can fit the truck/trailer combo in far enough to avoid blocking traffic. This, it would appear, is not just a matter of waiting patiently because sneaky little cars will slide in there before I can get there. My dirty looks at offending drivers are entirely ineffective as a preventive for that behavior.

The thing is, I would accept all of this as normal if I ever saw other trailer tuggers encountering the same problems, but I don't. Where are they buying gas?? There must be something I'm missing here.
Dave Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
CampNBrew2

When we travel, we try to search out larger truck stop type facilities. Otherwise yes it can be a nerve wracking, patience trying ordeal. Sometimes I have even had to back out of a station after pumping.
Pack your patience...
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
66joej

Usually Pilot/Flying Js have signs directing RVs into the truck islands. They have gasoline pumps there. At least all of the ones we have used. YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
BamaRam

I had rather use the truck pumps and bear the ugly stares than jockey for position at the 4 wheeler pumps. I’ve been blocked in, cut off, and had to back out.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Usually Pilot/Flying Js have signs directing RVs into the truck islands. They have gasoline pumps there. At least all of the ones we have used. YMMV
Must be a Canadian thing as we've traveled across this country top to bottom end to end & have never seen gas pumps in the truck lanes.
One advantage of having a heavy rv which required a diesel was being able to use the truck lanes. Never once in 10+ years did I ever get dirty looks or off color remarks from truckers when using the truck lanes, just fill up & move forward, which for my 30+/- gallons didn't take but about 5 minutes with the truck pumps.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
Dave Gamble

This helps, although it hasn't been updated since 2014: https://www.pilotflyingj.com/media/3...l-guide-16.pdf
Old 05-30-2019, 09:01 AM   #7
Dave Gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
I checked their website and found a location guide (updated as recently as 2014 ) and mention of an app. Between the two of those... I think it might be 'problem solved.'
Old 05-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Must be a Canadian thing as we've traveled across this country top to bottom end to end & have never seen gas pumps in the truck lanes.
Early in our camping days we tried the truck lanes trick, and after three attempts and finding nothing but diesel there, we never tried again.

The GasBuddy smartphone app also offers driver reviews of stations, often containing good information about small or large aprons. It isn't foolproof and doesn't offer 100% coverage, but we do use it for this.

A lot of our traveling is in the same interstate corridor, where we know which stations have worked well or not so well for us in the past -- like that badly laid-out Pilot in Denham Springs, and the knowledge that you'll have all the room in the world at any Buc-ee's.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:45 AM   #9
vampress_me

Google Maps/ iPhone map on satellite view is also your friend. It’s nice to be able to scope out a potential gas station ahead of time to judge if there’s enough room to maneuver.

Or, get a diesel truck and don’t worry anymore... (just kidding! It was said as a joke).

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #10
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Google Maps/ iPhone map on satellite view is also your friend. It’s nice to be able to scope out a potential gas station ahead of time to judge if there’s enough room to maneuver.

Or, get a diesel truck and don’t worry anymore... (just kidding! It was said as a joke).
Other than the fact that it is more difficult to find diesel . I agree on Google Maps. I try to have my wife look ahead while driving. Sometimes, I will check before we leave based on mileage.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Actually, we've considered this more than once, but were dissuaded by discovering that in the TV size classes we were considering, the diesel versions invariably had lower tow capacities than the gas versions.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

When I first started towing trying to find a station to get into and out of was an issue. The bigger the trailer got, the bigger the issue. It was a cause of irritation and apprehension - and still is at times.

Some things we've learned;

I like to stop every 2 - 2 1/2 hours for "relief" breaks for one/all of us. That equates to about 1/2 tank left. At that point I start looking for refuel locations. I use my eyes and a slow approach. Stations with pumps parallel to the building are good as long as you have an entry/exit available. Look at the end pumps and make sure you can clear the building for exits. Make sure there are exits that are navigable. WATCH OUT for sharply graded exits - I have bent my spare twice due to them when I could not see them prior to parking. Avoid entering/exiting onto narrow 2 lane streets that you might have to back into if you misjudge. Look to see if you can drive around the building for an exit.

The more you do it, the easier it is to size up a place pretty quickly. DW makes notes on all of our trips to notate hwy., exit, which station, which pumps, how to enter exit etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
nied

If you are using the interstate highways, www.findfuelstops.com is a good source for information. I like Loves stations and never have had a problem with our 30' trailer.
nied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #14
Gegrad

If travelling anywhere except an interstate, I will watch for accessible locations as soon as I get below 1/2 tank (which is usually closer to only about 6 gallons left anyway) and just stop as soon as I see an accommodating station. On the interstate it is more tricky, since you can't see the station without exiting, so there I typically hit the larger stations (Pilot, Flying J, etc). I also take note of accessible stations on places we go back to frequently and begin a ritual of stopping there.

For example, we hit Pocahontas State Park south of Richmond quite frequently while living in Raleigh, and it was just a smidge too far to make it on one tank (could make it but would be on E). Right as you crossed into Virginia at Exit 3 there were several stations, with the Shell station being wide open for getting into and out of. This exit also had the cheapest gas just about anywhere in the state. If you went 5 miles north to the "big" exit that had a few food places, gas was $0.30 more per gallon (!). I could also make it the rest of the way up to the park and back to that station on one tank. So a great way to maximize stops while towing.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #15
notanlines

Ihaven, that would be lower cargo capacity, not towing capacity. It would generally be in the 500 pound less category. Towing would be greater.
Only Flying J had RV specific lanes when they and Pilot merged. Now a few Pilots are catching on. And none have gas in the diesel lanes to be sure that automobile-driving nincompoops (of course you know that isn’t my chosen word) stay out of the truck lanes. Like TT, we have never in many, many years had an off color comment or stare fueling in the truck lane. I like to talk, they like to talk, I get the heck out of their way and all has always been good.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #16
travelin texans

We've been to a hand full of FJ/Pilots that their "RV freindly" lanes were only friendly to a rv about 15' long with the lane exit a hard right or left across the front of the building which made it almost impossible for long rvs.
I think any company building a convenience store/gas station needs to visit a Bucees, they got it done right for any size rig with plenty room & plenty of pumps.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
We've been to a hand full of FJ/Pilots that their "RV freindly" lanes were only friendly to a rv about 15' long with the lane exit a hard right or left across the front of the building which made it almost impossible for long rvs.
I think any company building a convenience store/gas station needs to visit a Bucees, they got it done right for any size rig with plenty room & plenty of pumps.

^^^^^This is a fact! I had never been to one but saw some being constructed. Then, this last trip I had to occasion to stop at one outside Dallas and man, was that nice! Lots of room, a zillion pumps plus......a heck of a store with smoked brisket that was actually good. I'll hit them all whenever I can from now on.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #18
meaz93*

Or what about pulling into and occupying a full side of gas pumps at a 7Eleven which is next door to a place you'd like to grab some grub (38' Keystone Outback) before getting into Chula Vista but no place to park and also not needing gas but.... acting like you do-just asking for a friend?-lol
Now I'll run in for some snack or what not....
buy something.
I also have a 5gal gas can filled when I travel.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190515-113011_Facebook.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	22012
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #19
hankpage
Site Team

Maybe it is just the East coast but I have never been in a FlyingJ that did not have a RV fueling area with gas, diesel, water, air and propane (and most with dump station) and fueling from either or both sides at the same time with plenty of room in and out. Now finding a parking spot so you can take a stretch and grab a bite is totally another story. Their website gives everything that is available at each station and lists RV friendly. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:27 PM   #20
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
Or what about pulling into and occupying a full side of gas pumps at a 7Eleven which is next door to a place you'd like to grab some grub (38' Keystone Outback) before getting into Chula Vista but no place to park and also not needing gas but.... acting like you do-just asking for a friend?-lol
Now I'll run in for some snack or what not....
buy something.

Attachment 22012
Wow. Lol
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel