Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2019, 04:08 PM   #1
Imgenki

Bigger black tank

Is it possible to get a larger black tank? I have a passport 2510 and it has a 30 gal black tank, I would like to increase it to 40 or 45. Are there larger direct fit tanks or will plumbing need to be redone? I do a lot of dry camping and don't want to go dump every three or four days...
Imgenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
LHaven

We rent out non-residential RV spaces with power and water, but only a central dump. Since we provide gray-water release piping ("the desert thanks you!"), black water is the only factor in having to visit the dump station. Singles or couples typically go multiple weeks without having to dump black; even families of 4 and 5 can go a week or more. What fills tanks fastest is showering, but that's all gray.

Perhaps the most efficient option would be for you to pick up a blue boy, easily available in over 30-gal sizes. You could get back headroom whenever you felt you needed it, plus cart it to the dump without having to move your rig.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:07 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Bigger black tank

Tank sizes often are dictated by available space. You need to measure your current tank and any “space” open where it is installed. I’m willing to bet your probably at max size now.

BTW: Welcome to the forum.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
Fishsizzle

Seems like I just saw a new product in Trailer life, or somewhere about a company that makes an add on black tank. Let me dig
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

If add on implies additional tank(s) seems like that brings up other issues beyond basic plumbing such as tank flush, etc. As stated I am sure what you have in regard to tank size is squeezed into available space
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
Fishsizzle

Looked some, still looking. Work is jammin.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #7
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaven View Post
We rent out non-residential RV spaces with power and water, but only a central dump. Since we provide gray-water release piping ("the desert thanks you!"), black water is the only factor in having to visit the dump station. Singles or couples typically go multiple weeks without having to dump black; even families of 4 and 5 can go a week or more. What fills tanks fastest is showering, but that's all gray.

Perhaps the most efficient option would be for you to pick up a blue boy, easily available in over 30-gal sizes. You could get back headroom whenever you felt you needed it, plus cart it to the dump without having to move your rig.
Multiple weeks to fill black! Humans have a wide range of BM's from 2 to 3 per week (weird to me) to 3 to 5 per day like me. Wife is more like 2 to 3 so at max 8 gals per day the 49G tank should fill up in 6 days but we typically get less than that but we do use a lot of water to make sure TP does not plug the pipes again per roto rooter instructions. I have never figured out how you can dump a big black tank into one of those tiny blue things without making a huge mess. In any case, boondocking for 3 to 5 days is our norm so no problems.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Multiple weeks to fill black! Humans have a wide range of BM's from 2 to 3 per week (weird to me) to 3 to 5 per day like me.
The easy answer is that most transient campers tend to spend a significant part of their time elsewhere than in their camper. The numbers for a residential park are quite different, I'm sure.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #9
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaven View Post
The easy answer is that most transient campers tend to spend a significant part of their time elsewhere than in their camper. The numbers for a residential park are quite different, I'm sure.
So I am really odd then. I can count on one hand the number of times I have used a restroom other than my RV in the last year or more (been fulltime since Sep 2017). I have a restroom phobia I guess. Even in an RV park I use my own and often the shower as well as many parks are filthy.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #10
GMcKenzie

Quote:
So I am really odd then. I can count on one hand the number of times I have used a restroom other than my RV in the last year or more (been fulltime since Sep 2017). I have a restroom phobia I guess. Even in an RV park I use my own and often the shower as well as many parks are filthy.
I'm the same. I have the toilet and shower, so I see no need to not use them. They are closer and cleaner.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:03 PM   #11
fjr vfr

Quote:

I think what he means is most "transient" campers don't spend much time at the rv park. They are usually gone all day sight seeing or visiting tourist sites.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
chartrand

Switch to a composting toilet.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #13
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
Switch to a composting toilet.
That might work for the folks on the 2 to 3 times a week schedule, but I go that often every day before lunch plus as much the rest of the day and then there is my wife as well. I think for those who can use a composting toilet it is a fantastic idea but remember you have to sell the RV some day and it might be easier to sell if it has at least the original toilet and maybe better if it has both.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #14
notanlines

Yeah, that $1000 composting toilet is a great deal. Pull out the finishing drawer and wander around the RV park fertilizing all the plants here and there. You'll be a big hit in the neighborhood. And just think how much better the resale will be on your Cougar when sale time comes around! Uh, excuse me, I seem to have my tongue stuck in my cheek...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #15
Fishsizzle

Ugg, I can’t find it. Mr Short term memory
Old 05-30-2019, 07:59 AM   #16
CFS

Portable black tank

I have a 2014 2510rb and I picked up a portable with 4 wheels to pull it to the dump station, I wouldn't even want to contemplate installing a larger tank in the RV. Just pull it slow, not made for too high of speed FYI. I've had good luck with mine and easy to use, hope this helps!

https://www.campingworld.com/thetfor...id=black-water
CFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:29 AM   #17
sonofcy

If I am boondocking there is nowhere to drag it to and it is way too heavy to lift into the back of the trump. If I am in a campground I have full hookups. Maybe there exists low end campgrounds without sewer connections but I would only stay for a day or two if that was the case. My black tank is 49 gal, I can't imagine trying to move a 'portable' tank over dirt and gravel roads of that size. And what if you get say a 30 gal blue boy and miscalculate when to transfer? Now you have sewage running all over your site.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
If I am boondocking there is nowhere to drag it to and it is way too heavy to lift into the back of the trump. If I am in a campground I have full hookups. Maybe there exists low end campgrounds without sewer connections but I would only stay for a day or two if that was the case. My black tank is 49 gal, I can't imagine trying to move a 'portable' tank over dirt and gravel roads of that size. And what if you get say a 30 gal blue boy and miscalculate when to transfer? Now you have sewage running all over your site.
All slide valves on black tanks work in two directions. Pull it open and as (if) the secondary tank fills, slide it closed, go dump and come back to repeat.

That's yet another reason to install the terminal gate valve at the fitting where the sewer hose connects. That way you've got a backup to the main sewer valve. Most portable tanks have a "fill indicator" or a "level gauge" to let the user know when that tank is nearing full. It's really difficult for an attentive person to put themselves in a situation where they would have "poo pouring" from an overfull portable tank.

While the above is not a totally failsafe system, it is difficult to spill sewage if you're paying attention.

That said, I have a portable tank and only use it for gray water transportation. If you've ever filled a portable tank with black contents, you already know how difficult it is to get the odor out of the portable tank. You'll know for weeks/months after dumping a black tank that the portable tank was used for that purpose..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:21 PM   #19
beeje

Simple solution. Do as I have done on every RV I have owned. Install a valve in the water supply line to the toilet. You can turn it off or leave it only partially open preventing unnecessary water from being flushed. Do you really need to flush down a cup of pee with a quart of water ?. Turn it on full blast when needed, if you know what I mean. LOL. We can go 7-9 days fully self contained without adding any water of emptying any tanks.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #20
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags