Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
SRD

Towing with newer truck

Purchased a 2016 Silverado 1500 Z71, 6speed auto 3.42 rear gear. My trailer is 25' and weighs 5200+ when loaded. My question has to do with the transmission. In about 2weeks we will be heading to Cades Cove campground in the Smokys.This being a new truck to me and a bit more advanced than the 2000 Silverado 1500 I did use I am wondering how to use the transmission. I did take it on a short trip recently and used tow/mode, and the wife didn't like the hard shifting, she thought it was not a good idea. I saw somewhere that in tow/haul mode the transmission will not shift into overdrive and that is what I was trying to avoid. The manual mode I am not sure of especially in the mountains, I just want to be as careful with this truck and tranny as I can be cause I hope to make a hole lot of trips in years to come. Thanks for any advice
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I would read the manual and follow it. I am guessing here because I have not read that manual. The last chev 1500 that I used was a 2001 and it had tow/ haul mode. It was a marked police truck and was abused as all police vehicles are. I towed a 4500lb boat many miles and it's manual stated to use tow/haul mode when towing and I did. It was turned in with 96,000 miles and never a tranny problem. A boss towed same boat with me as a passenger to jet boat school. A 6 hour each way drive. His truck was same but a 2002. A week later that tranny was replaced at tax payer cost. Not sure mileage on the truck but likely around 20,000 when that happened. I asked him if he was in tow/haul mode and guess what he was not. He never read any vehicle manual of any vehicles he was assigned and he had break downs most did not.
For some reason the tranny was designed to work correctly in different conditions. Mainly because it's a truck. When towing use the tow haul mode or pay the price, is my advice.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
rjrelander

We always use the tow/haul mode when towing but we have a 3.08 axle ratio (yuck) and see a lot of gear changes without it, even with our small trailer. I think the rule of thumb is "use it if you need it". With a 3.42 axle it might not be necessary. If you feel the truck is making a lot of gear changes then you probably want to engage it which will move the gear change RPM points upward. Also keep an eye on the transmission temperature.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

I rarely use tow/haul, only if the trans is frequently hunting for gears. However with 3.42 rear and in hilly country mama may have to get used to the harder shifts and let the tow/haul do what it is designed to do. Enjoy the new rig and travel safely. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
Ruko

Tow haul mode is there for when you are towing and hauling. Without knowing the specifics of your transmission it will generally hold gears longer shift quicker and downshift sooner than without it on. Hard shifting is better for the transmission. When the shifts are slow and smooth it is slipping to make it feel smoother. Slipping causes heat which bad. Not as big an issue when empty and drives nicer. Quicker shifts will slip less and feel harder like it is banging into gear because it locks up sooner with less slippage and it creates less heat. It is better for the transmission but doesn't feel as nice to drive. When towing use tow haul mode, that's what it is designed for.

2013 Fuzion 342
2015 Dodge Ram 3500
Ruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
busterbrown

Big truck gassers love the RPM band when towing for two reasons. First, it allows the lubricating pumps to run faster. Your transmission will appreciate that.

Secondly, gas engines perform better in the higher RPM range. That's where they get their power. The tow-haul mode is built on that. I'm assuming the OP has GM's notorious 5.3L in his Chevy. These engines pull better when they downshift and RPM up. I had a 6.2L variant in my Yukon Denali and it was a monster on hills. The tow-haul was slightly better than my current RAM 2500's, especially with engine braking.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
linux3

OK, I have a 2017 as you see from below.
Just over 2 years and 36K miles. Lots of towing.
1) I always use Tow/Haul and yes, the tranny goes into overdrive which is 5 and 6th gears.
2) When coming to a hill I shift into "L", no it doesn't stand for Low, it Locks out Overdrive and drops you into 4th gear and you COULD use the manual buttons at this point. I don't.

When you start up a hill the transmission kinda wants to stay in Overdrive too long and your speed drops and the engine lugs. Shifting into "L" just at the bottom of the hill puts you in 4th gear and better in the power band. As soon as you start to actually climb shift back into "D", the transmission will stay out of OD for the rest of the climb and drop down even more if needed.
You don't have to do this but I think it reduces stress on the engine and I know I get better MPG.
I use Cruise Control all the time. The "L" thing works well with this.
I know, I know, some folks here don't like using Cruise but I feel I have enough to worry about other cars, trucks getting on ramp and just the plain idiocy of many drivers so that using CC makes for one less thing to worry about.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #8
jsb5717

The abrupt feel of the shift in Tow/Haul mode may be reduced a bit when hauling more weight. In the end, as has been stated, it's an issue of economics. The fast shift's purpose is to reduce wear on the tranny, especially under load. Also, the faster it shifts, the fewer RPM's are lost between gears, maintaining a more consistant towing speed and torque range. It's all designed to allow you to get the most out of your truck with the least amount of wear. The more wear on the tranny the sooner you might have to replace it.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #9
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Purchased a 2016 Silverado 1500 Z71, 6speed auto 3.42 rear gear. My trailer is 25' and weighs 5200+ when loaded. My question has to do with the transmission. I did take it on a short trip recently and used tow/mode, and the wife didn't like the hard shifting, she thought it was not a good idea. I saw somewhere that in tow/haul mode the transmission will not shift into overdrive and that is what I was trying to avoid. The manual mode I am not sure of especially in the mountains, I just want to be as careful with this truck and tranny as I can be cause I hope to make a hole lot of trips in years to come. Thanks for any advice
You want overdrive, better MPG.
In Tow/Haul mode going down hill if you tap the brakes the transmission will down shift HARD to use engine braking. This is a good thing as it helps save your brakes. It also puts you in Downhill Assist which is also a good thing.
Let the truck do it's thing. Chevy engineers have put a lot of thought into building a vehicle made for doing work.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

Post #9, last sentence is all the advice needed.
I for one have learned not to rely on what how the last truck did it's job. Someone much smarter than I made the truck to be used as they put in print.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #11
ken56

I will assume you will head over to 75 at Cinci and down to Knoxville on 75. There are not that bad of hills you will encounter, but that said use tow/haul and don't worry about manual mode, you won't need it this time. Even when you use manual the trans won't shift if the conditions aren't right to allow it, meaning you can't over rev it by shifting to a too low a gear for your speed.

Not sure if you know the route into Cades Cove from K'ville but, you want airport highway,129, to Maryville and pick up 321 into Townsend. It will put you right at the entrance into the park and a short drive to Cades.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #12
travelin texans

Been towing with GM vehicles for years, I'd recommend every time you tow anything use the tow/haul & let the truck do the work, up or down hill, as stated the GM engineers have done a great job.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #13
SRD

Thanks to everyone for the information. We will use the tow/haul and let the truck do its thing. Townsend will be out way to the park
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:46 AM   #14
linux3

Most important..... Relax and enjoy.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #15
beermanjoe

Towed my Passport 2810 with pretty much the same truck except a 2015. I was heavier than you,but always used the tow haul mode. Just upgraded to a 2018 Ram 2500 with 4.10 gears. I still use the tow/haul for the same TT.
beermanjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing