Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2021, 02:26 PM   #41
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeV View Post
We just purchased. 2021 keystone avalanche and the front jacks sit inches above the ground. We are towing with a Ford F-250 super duty. We are in the process of getting the truck lifted with springs and airbags but we have a long way to go. What a terrible design that the front jacks are so low. Any other suggestions?
Welcome Diane! You asked for suggestions so I would start by looking at the payload placard in your driver door frame. It lists the actual payload for your truck. The gross weight of the lightest Avalanche is 15K lbs. The approximate pin weight of a 15K lb. camper at 23 percent of the gross weight is 3450 lbs. Add to that the weight of your hitch, passengers in the truck and any gear in the truck and your payload will be in excess of 4000 lbs. I suspect your F250 is overmatched so take a look at that payload placard for safety sake.

Let me add that numbers in a sales brochure or online are not for YOUR partiicular truck and brochure numbers are ALWAYS misleading as they are for a hypothetical vehicle (stripped) configured for the max payload. The towing spec doesn't relate to a fifth wheel. They use a flat bed loaded with blocks on a closed coarse and the thing isn't 12' tall. The numbers they use are geared for selling and not reality.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:46 PM   #42
DianeV

Ford F-250

Thank you for your reply. They told us that the trailer was about 13,500. Will check our truck specs. The guy who delivered it (sat too low on our truck for us to bring home) he had a f250 dual wheel and it still sat too low. It is a bad design to have them sit that low but we didn’t realize it until it was hooked up to the truck (when viewed was up on the jacks)
DianeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:57 PM   #43
rhagfo

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. They told us that the trailer was about 13,500. Will check our truck specs. The guy who delivered it (sat too low on our truck for us to bring home) he had a f250 dual wheel and it still sat too low. It is a bad design to have them sit that low but we didn’t realize it until it was hooked up to the truck (when viewed was up on the jacks)
Maybe a picture of your setup, F250 don’t come with DRW.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #44
DianeV

Will post a pic when I can, truck is at the shop getting the airbags installed currently.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:15 PM   #45
DianeV

file:///var/folders/g_/sqrqcxgx5gg30phqs08ghqw40000gn/T/com.apple.Safari/WebKitDropDestination-7CReaey8/IMG_0641.jpeg[QUOTE]
Old 11-23-2021, 04:16 PM   #46
DianeV

IDK if that was a link to the pic or not. That was with the F350
Old 11-23-2021, 04:34 PM   #47
wiredgeorge

Diane, to post a picture, go to the GO Advanced button and then click on the Manage Attachments button and you can select an image from your file manager on your computer. I am not keen to click on links I don't recognize and while I am sure you are on the up and up, still kind of nervous about clinking.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:54 PM   #48
gkainz

Quote:
file:///var/folders/g_/sqrqcxgx5gg30phqs08ghqw40000gn/T/com.apple.Safari/WebKitDropDestination-7CReaey8/IMG_0641.jpeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Diane, to post a picture, go to the GO Advanced button and then click on the Manage Attachments button and you can select an image from your file manager on your computer. I am not keen to click on links I don't recognize and while I am sure you are on the up and up, still kind of nervous about clinking.
That link looks like a local picture on a Mac ... see above to upload a photo to the forums.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel