Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
ebomb

2008 fuzion 372 awning

I recently purchased my fuzion 362 and the prior owner had a screened in
Porch built.He was seasonal for seven years and took the old awning off and gave it away, so now I have nothing. I need to purchase the whole awning setup and want to go with a power awning vs the manual awning, I also want to go about 21’ or bigger , what is a good company to use? Thanks in advance
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:02 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The two "old reliable, been around forever" awning companies are Dometic and Carefree of Colorado. There is a "new-comer" to the awning market, Lippert's Solara. Dometic (in the past) seems to be the awning of choice for most expensive/luxury trailers/fifth wheels and Carefree (in the past) seems to be the choice for slide cover awnings.

That said, Solara is somewhat less expensive, offers many of the same features and may work well for you.

Your Fuzion may have come with a power awning or with a manual awning. If power, possibly the wiring is still in the wall with the switch on the control panel?

As for length, usually manufacturers install the largest (longest) awning practical for the trailer model. If one was removed, there should be holes or evidence of holes in the FILON siding on the trailer. That would mark the location of the underlying support structures that would be necessary to install a new awning. Think through any modifications to be sure you don't wind up with blocked windows, blocked doors or problems with not finding support for the installation hardware. Be sure to consider operation of those items with the awning both in the open and in the closed positions.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:35 AM   #3
jsmith948

Adding to John's info, in this month's trailer life there is an ad for a battery powered awning kit that uses an 18v lithium battery. This might work for you if the previous awning was manual and, therefore, there are no wires for a powered awning.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
ebomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The two "old reliable, been around forever" awning companies are Dometic and Carefree of Colorado. There is a "new-comer" to the awning market, Lippert's Solara. Dometic (in the past) seems to be the awning of choice for most expensive/luxury trailers/fifth wheels and Carefree (in the past) seems to be the choice for slide cover awnings.

That said, Solara is somewhat less expensive, offers many of the same features and may work well for you.

Your Fuzion may have come with a power awning or with a manual awning. If power, possibly the wiring is still in the wall with the switch on the control panel?

As for length, usually manufacturers install the largest (longest) awning practical for the trailer model. If one was removed, there should be holes or evidence of holes in the FILON siding on the trailer. That would mark the location of the underlying support structures that would be necessary to install a new awning. Think through any modifications to be sure you don't wind up with blocked windows, blocked doors or problems with not finding support for the installation hardware. Be sure to consider operation of those items with the awning both in the open and in the closed positions.
I do see the old holes but I would like to extend it past the rear door, the track is already mounted to lock the awning in place, but it’s almost 24’ long vs the old 19’ one that was there. It looks like it was a manual awning before but I would like to go to a power awning , I didn’t know if they make a dual motor for such a long awning.
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Awnings are all single motor. There may be a tension spring on the non motor end to assist, but that’s not always the case. If it was manual, your going to have to run the power somehow to the front arm where the motor is. If it was me, I’d put a manual awning back on it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
mikz86ta

May consider 2 awnings. Such a long one single may wear/stress the one motor faster.
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

We had a 22' awning on our Holiday Rambler. It was "too long for its own good".... Three times we had to replace the awning roller tube. The first time it was because the tube bent from towing. We installed a center arm/support to prevent that problem. The second time it was because rain filled the awning (even though one end was lowered to help drain the awning fabric). The third time it was because the wind blew a bit harder than the awning roller could resist.....

Moral of my story is that I'll never own another awning longer than 16-18 feet. Any more "RV side shade" required, I'll install 2 awnings rather than one long one. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, fuzion