Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
Ed&Candy

Cracked Frame

We have a 2017 Raptor 355TS that we bought new and only after a couple of trips and about 3000 miles we found a crack in gel coat near the bedroom slide. It’s been at the dealer for months and Keystone just approved the repairs. The dealer found several cracks in the frame said it would have to be welded. This is a 90K 5th wheel you would think Keystone would want to repair ASAP. Welding it does not sound like a good repair for new RV. I feel they should have to replace it or give me full credit towards a new one. Yep I know what they will say but that’s how I feel.

Anyone else have frame issues?
Ed&Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
kfxgreenie

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...t=fuzion+crack

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...t=fuzion+crack

Here's a few.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
dcg9381

PM me if a repair on this is unacceptable. The reality is that they likely will get a chance to repair it, but you may be looking at a "loss of value" claim.

IMHO, a welded (and plated) frame CAN be stronger than a new one, absolutely... And unfortunately, this is one of those repairs that is well documented. Fixes seem to work well.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
dcg9381

PM me if a repair on this is unacceptable. The reality is that they likely will get a chance to repair it, but you may be looking at a "loss of value" claim.

IMHO, a welded (and plated) frame CAN be stronger than a new one, absolutely... And unfortunately, this is one of those repairs that is well documented. Fixes seem to work well.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post

I would also agree, fixes if done right are usually better than factory. I wouldn't think that any fixes would have any probability of causing a loss of value in the RV, at least I wouldn't be afraid of it.
They changed the frame design on the 18s, went from a stacked frame design to a standard full length I-beam, I wonder if it was to fix the issues they were having with the frames. I know when I was at the factory and looking at the frames, I could see where I would have put a bunch more steel bracing in them.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
brad2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
I would also agree, fixes if done right are usually better than factory. I wouldn't think that any fixes would have any probability of causing a loss of value in the RV, at least I wouldn't be afraid of it.
They changed the frame design on the 18s, went from a stacked frame design to a standard full length I-beam, I wonder if it was to fix the issues they were having with the frames. I know when I was at the factory and looking at the frames, I could see where I would have put a bunch more steel bracing in them.

Is this on the toyhaulers or all keyston line that they changed the frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:51 AM   #7
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
Is this on the toyhaulers or all keyston line that they changed the frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't comment on that because I'm not sure, I was looking at their toy haulers and asked why the sliding tray wasn't in the 18 Raptors but it was in the 17s and thats when he told me that they had changed from the stacked frame design to the full length I-beam and there wasn't as much room for the tray so they left it out of the 18s.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
Ed&Candy

Frame crack update

So Keystone sent Lippert out to the dealer to weld all the cracks, they said there were several that they could not get to so the cap was removed and they removed the tray and partition in the storage compartment. They welded them up and then told the dealer to remove a section of the outside from the slide to the cap. They think there are more cracks behind the wall. This makes me even more concerned about how long it will last.
Not very happy about this Keystone has lost me a customer going forward.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:23 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Since Lippert had to do the welding on a Lippert frame, I wish you all the luck going forward finding another brand that doesn’t use a Lippert frame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:23 PM   #10
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed&Candy View Post
Not very happy about this Keystone has lost me a customer going forward.
You have to remember that Keystone did not make the frame, Lippert did.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:58 AM   #11
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
You have to remember that Keystone did not make the frame, Lippert did.
That's true but the RV manufacturers provides Lippert with specs on how to build the frames for each RV they design. As Chuckster mentioned, Lippert makes nearly 99.99% of the frames for most all the RVs made. I've heard of others brands/models having frame issues but I think that's the first Raptor I've heard about on a forum having issues. At least that I recall.
Hopefully they will get the frame fixed so the OP can have worry free camping for the remainder of their ownership.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:42 AM   #12
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
... Lippert makes nearly 99.99% of the frames for most all the RVs made. ...
Maybe memory fails me, but I thought I read/heard that Keystone is using BAL frames on the Premier line (and maybe others) now.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:30 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

I have seen BAL frames on some brands of TT but can’t say I’ve seen a BAL fifth wheel frame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:08 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

BAL (actually Norco Industries) did start making ultralight travel trailer frames several years ago. I also remember seeing that Premier was using a BAL ultralight frame on some (maybe all) of their models. I haven't seen any Keystone fifth wheels with a BAL frame, although BAL does produce both travel trailer and fifth wheel frames for the industry.

Looking at their website, the way they describe their NXG Frame, it sounds like it's an "upgrade to the "current industry-wide frame" both in material and in construction technique. http://norcoind.com/bal/products/oem/nxg/index.shtml

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:14 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
BAL (actually Norco Industries) did start making ultralight travel trailer frames several years ago. I also remember seeing that Premier was using a BAL ultralight frame on some (maybe all) of their models. I haven't seen any Keystone fifth wheels with a BAL frame, although BAL does produce both travel trailer and fifth wheel frames for the industry.

Looking at their website, the way they describe their NXG Frame, it sounds like it's an "upgrade to the "current industry-wide frame" both in material and in construction technique. http://norcoind.com/bal/products/oem/nxg/index.shtml
The problem with the rv industry is if it cost 10 cents more, even if the consumer would pay 5-10 times the cost, for any upgrade/change it probably won't get done. The bottom line is where it matters.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:08 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The problem with the rv industry is if it cost 10 cents more, even if the consumer would pay 5-10 times the cost, for any upgrade/change it probably won't get done. The bottom line is where it matters.
Yup, We see "cost reduction" in everything these days. On RV's, it's apparent in almost every system and sub-system. From the way they attach coroplast to the bottom of the trailer to the thickness of the TPO membrane used on the roof. Almost everything, from tires, dish-washers (when installed), toilet seats, anti-siphon valves and frames. They all "fall victim" to the bean counter's mandate to save a "one more penny" on every unit produced.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #17
Carrottop

My 2017 Passport 217EXP is on a BAL frame. Can't speak to the heavier units or 5'ers
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #18
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Maybe memory fails me, but I thought I read/heard that Keystone is using BAL frames on the Premier line (and maybe others) now.
Its good someone else is building them but unfortunately, its still a small percentage.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #19
Ed&Candy

Update on frame repair

Well after Lippert welded the frame and tearing into the side wall they said it’s all fixed. Well guess what, they pulled it out of the shop and they heated a popping sound. Yep that’s correct the frame broke again at the same place they had already welded it. So it camping season again and no camper. We continue to make our payments for what? We already rented a camper for one trip this year and had to cancel our beach trip in June. I called Keystone and am waiting on them to call me back with what they are going to do to make this right.

Really feeling discouraged.
Ed

Tags
rack