Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
Zoe

Unhappy Warranty Question

So, we bought the new 2018 Passport Elite 19RB. So excited! Love everything about it, it fits our needs exactly! Well, we haven’t camped in it yet, but did have fun loading winter storage safe gear. Brought it home after what we THOUGHT was a thorough PDI. (I know...evidently was NOT thorough enough). Covered storage was not yet ready and rain was in the forecast so we got up on the ladder to double check that everything was sound and we found, in the glaring light of day... a nail/screw pop, uneven decking under the rubber membrane, and good sized ‘bubbles, unfortunately, some with water under the membrane. Heartsick, we called the dealer, (here we will skip 2 1/2 weeks of back and forth discussion) but eventually find out there was improper application of sealant, water under membrane and delamination of roof decking which indicates water infiltration, and Keystone (warranty) has authorized re-roof. The dealer said they’d let us know what they find when they tear off the roof, that if the water has gotten to other areas they are back to the “drawing board”. I have read the Keystone warranty, and being drafted in proper legalese, find it somewhat ambiguous and unclear. If the walls, etc are affected by the water infiltration, what then? Mold time bomb, siding delam time bomb, etc...(From the official Keystone warranty pdf- “Back-Up Remedy: As a limited back-up remedy in the event the defect cannot be repaired, after receiving a reasonable opportunity to repair and after a reasonable number of repair attempts, Keystone may, at its option, either (i) pay you the diminution in value damages, or (ii) provide a similar replacement recreational vehicle, less a reasonable allowance for the owner’s use of the original RV. The primary and back-up remedies must both fail to fulfill their essential purpose before other uniform commercial code remedies can be obtained for breach of express or implied warranty.” We haven’t even “used” the camper which was winterized at purchase point, aside from one trip to home and one trip back for repair! ANY ADVICE would be extremely welcome. So far our camping friends have offered “demand they give you a new one”. Help! And thanks!
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
meaz93*

I think at this point your service advisor is fully aware of the situation, and Keystone is in the process of correcting the defect..
Now you just wait.
My service advisor told me that he likes to tell his new customers to take the rig out as soon as possible....use it, so that any and hopefully all little imperfections that arise can be repaired sooner than later before you run out of warranty.
Is it possible that your new trailer has mold?....I'm not so sure, but if their has been a long period of hot & cold temps maybe.
Certainly water damage can be tricky.
Just voice your concerns and check over your trailer with a fine tooth comb while the warranty is in effect.
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Apparently the dealer has done a pretty good job of not only documenting your problem, but presenting it to Keystone in a clear manner resulting in a roof replacement. That in itself it a reason to breathe a sigh of relief.

"Assuming" the dealer is as thorough with the roof inspection after it is dismantled to assess further damage, you would hope, based on his previous performance, that he would be just as thorough....but, I would ask that I was notified when the roof/TPO was removed so that you could assess, yourself, if there is further damage. They may, or may not, let you do that but I have no doubt they will let you be there as they go over it so you can ask questions, if you have any.

I'm thinking if you had a screw pop out and you had water intrusion, unless the entire bonding process over the entire roof failed, there wouldn't be much chance for the water to keep seeping all the way across the roof to the walls....here's hoping.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

While it would be nice to get a replacement, per the warranty, the primary and secondary fixes have to fail first. Replacing the roof should fix your issu.

Having to start from scratch is if the dealer finds further damage when replacing the roof. To date, only the replacement is authorized. Any thing else that is found would then need to be approved also. Not a big deal, just part of the process. Good luck. Sounds like you're in good hands.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty