Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #1
TomD1

1st long trip, to NH

We have made a couple short trips since we got the RV a year ago. One trip to Myrtle Beach, SC and one to Charleston, SC so this is the first long trip we will be taking. I have the campgrounds reserved, Dixie Caverns in Salem VA, Western RV Park in Carlisle, PA, Walmart in Danbury CT. Final destination Mile-Away campground in Henniker NH. I just finished putting air bags on my TV, the instructions said it would take an hour or two maybe if I had a lift and air tools that could be done. Took me about 4 hours. Other than the normal things like checking the tire air pressure and wheel torque is there anything I should watch out for on a 1000 mile trip? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
Ductape

I can only suggest the usual, check tires, fluids, give everything a general once-over.

How long will you be in NH ? Are you going to do any of the touristy stuff while you are here ?
Ductape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #3
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD1 View Post
We have made a couple short trips since we got the RV a year ago. One trip to Myrtle Beach, SC and one to Charleston, SC so this is the first long trip we will be taking. I have the campgrounds reserved, Dixie Caverns in Salem VA, Western RV Park in Carlisle, PA, Walmart in Danbury CT. Final destination Mile-Away campground in Henniker NH. I just finished putting air bags on my TV, the instructions said it would take an hour or two maybe if I had a lift and air tools that could be done. Took me about 4 hours. Other than the normal things like checking the tire air pressure and wheel torque is there anything I should watch out for on a 1000 mile trip? Thanks in advance for any help.
I think you have it covered but how do you get reservations at Walmart?

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
SummitPond

Quote:
... I have the campgrounds reserved, Dixie Caverns in Salem VA, ... NH. ...
We thoroughly enjoyed our tour of the Dixie Caverns. A nice, level site for camping, too.

If you make it over to the coast and Portsmouth, NH, be sure to see Prescott Park (a public garden and park, with evening and weekend music and movie events). Strawbery Banke, just across the street from the park, is a living museum of the city from Colonial times to the recent past. Historic New England also has several properties in the area. The Coast Guard Station in Newcastle has Fort Constitution you can ramble around, and a lighthouse that is open for tours on weekends. Fort Stark a little further down 1B is a great ruin to explore. Just over the border in Maine there is Fort McClary and Fort Foster, plus some of the best seafood you can find.

Have a great trip!

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #5
TomD1

1. We will be there 2 weeks. No tourist stuff this trip, cleaning out my Mom's house and putting it up for sale.

2. Call the Walmart and see if RV's can park over night.

3. Thanks for the info on Dixie. We won't be hitting the coast this trip.

Thanks all!!!!!
Old 09-04-2018, 03:44 AM   #6
Dave W

I hope you enjoy listening all night to Jake Brakes from I-81 (200 feet ABOVE you)at Dixie Caverns!!! Not one of our favorite CGs of all time.

If you are heading into NH, are you planning to head up into the White Mountains near Franconia Notch or even Conway? That is a really nice area to do touristy things. We did it last fall about this time of year and the crowds were pretty much gone
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:50 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Sounds like a nice trip, sorry about the circumstances for the trip. A couple of things come to mind.
If you don't have an infrared thermometer get one. They are less than $20 at various places. Also get a decent air pressure gauge, fill all tires to appropriate pressure. If you can afford it before your trip a TPMS on the trailer is worth every penny.
Check all fluids and pressures before departing and at every stop. Don't forget the air bags if you don't have a gauge on that.

My routine at every stop is to let the truck idle to allow turbos to spool down and cool off. Seems to me like most rest stops are at or near the top of a hill. While DW stays with the dogs I'll unlock the camper and turn on the water pump.
Then I'll walk the dogs while the DW uses the bathroom in the camper, ours has an outside door for bathroom. When I walk the dogs I'll check the lights on the tv and trailer. I run with my lights on at daytime and when I park I'll hit the 4 way flashers as that will indicate if the stop/turn lights work.
The DW takes the dogs and I use the bathroom and fill the dog's water bowl after washing hands.
Then I do a closer inspection.. take temperature readings at each wheel (including the truck) at the tire and the brake disk and hubs. Not looking for a particular temp just a red flag if one is much higher than the others. While walking I'll check all compartment doors by giving them a slight tug to make sure they are still secure. Then check all connectors between tv and trailer trailer umbilical and the umbilical I installed for a rear view camera, check all connections including hitch lock, chains, EQ bars, sewer hose holder door, spare tire mounted on rear bumper, etc. Also look under the trailer at various points juist to see that everything is where it belongs.
Turn off water pump, close and lock both doors, replenish our drinks and we are ready to go. This routine takes me less than 10 min and with walking, bending and squatting I feel refreshed, alert and reset.
This is my routine and it has worked for me for many years. If you chose to do a similar routine I'd suggest first try it before you leave and second writing it down and make a check list so you don't forget anything.

I don't check lug nut torque as that should be done with the wheels cold. I'll check them in the morning before departing using a torque wrench. Make sure you have the appropriate sized socket for the wheel nuts.

It looks like you have a new unit so I would suggest before you leave try mounting the spare tire. This exercise will let you know ahead of time if you have the necessary tools to raise the camper and if the lug nuts that fit the aluminum rims (if yours came with them) will also fit the spare steel rim. I've read stories where it won't go on the stud far enough to tighten a steel rim. Better to find out these things BEFORE you need to find out on the side of the interstate with 18 wheelers buzzing by.

I apologize for the length of this reply and hope it helps you out in some way. Safe travels and again I'm sorry for your loss.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #8
TomD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Sounds like a nice trip, sorry about the circumstances for the trip. A couple of things come to mind.
If you don't have an infrared thermometer get one. They are less than $20 at various places. Also get a decent air pressure gauge, fill all tires to appropriate pressure. If you can afford it before your trip a TPMS on the trailer is worth every penny.
Check all fluids and pressures before departing and at every stop. Don't forget the air bags if you don't have a gauge on that.

My routine at every stop is to let the truck idle to allow turbos to spool down and cool off. Seems to me like most rest stops are at or near the top of a hill. While DW stays with the dogs I'll unlock the camper and turn on the water pump.
Then I'll walk the dogs while the DW uses the bathroom in the camper, ours has an outside door for bathroom. When I walk the dogs I'll check the lights on the tv and trailer. I run with my lights on at daytime and when I park I'll hit the 4 way flashers as that will indicate if the stop/turn lights work.
The DW takes the dogs and I use the bathroom and fill the dog's water bowl after washing hands.
Then I do a closer inspection.. take temperature readings at each wheel (including the truck) at the tire and the brake disk and hubs. Not looking for a particular temp just a red flag if one is much higher than the others. While walking I'll check all compartment doors by giving them a slight tug to make sure they are still secure. Then check all connectors between tv and trailer trailer umbilical and the umbilical I installed for a rear view camera, check all connections including hitch lock, chains, EQ bars, sewer hose holder door, spare tire mounted on rear bumper, etc. Also look under the trailer at various points juist to see that everything is where it belongs.
Turn off water pump, close and lock both doors, replenish our drinks and we are ready to go. This routine takes me less than 10 min and with walking, bending and squatting I feel refreshed, alert and reset.
This is my routine and it has worked for me for many years. If you chose to do a similar routine I'd suggest first try it before you leave and second writing it down and make a check list so you don't forget anything.

I don't check lug nut torque as that should be done with the wheels cold. I'll check them in the morning before departing using a torque wrench. Make sure you have the appropriate sized socket for the wheel nuts.

It looks like you have a new unit so I would suggest before you leave try mounting the spare tire. This exercise will let you know ahead of time if you have the necessary tools to raise the camper and if the lug nuts that fit the aluminum rims (if yours came with them) will also fit the spare steel rim. I've read stories where it won't go on the stud far enough to tighten a steel rim. Better to find out these things BEFORE you need to find out on the side of the interstate with 18 wheelers buzzing by.

I apologize for the length of this reply and hope it helps you out in some way. Safe travels and again I'm sorry for your loss.
Thanks for the info, no TPMS this trip but I will get a thermometer I always check the torque and tire pressure before I leave home, the pressure prior to leaving each campground and will again check the torque prior to the leg home. I haven't had any lose torque yet.
Thanks again.