Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2022, 01:06 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

You say that the purchasing dealership is not local, but there is a dealer 25 miles away. Have you contacted that dealership to even ask if they will accept doing warranty work for you? Keystone dealerships are NOT required to work on every Keystone trailer that shows up on their lot. Warranty work on RV's is nothing like warranty work on a Ford or GM product. If you're expecting a local "non-involved dealership" to honor your warranty, you likely will find that if you haven't coordinated service with them, they may not even write a service order when you make an appointment and show up.

I'd urge you to contact that dealership and see if they are willing to honor warranty work on your trailer and MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THE TERMS under which they will work on your trailer. Many dealerships will accept a trailer they didn't sell, but it goes to the back of the service line and STAYS THERE until they have an opening with none of the trailers they sold in need of work. So, you may drag your trailer to the dealer for them to confirm the fireplace needs replacement and that "3 minute job" may take 6 months or longer before they even pull your trailer into their service bay....

Talk to that dealership and get their terms and see if you agree to them. If not, contact Keystone Customer Service and ask them for other dealerships that they'd recommend. Contact them and see if you can locate a dealership that's willing to honor your warranty. Otherwise, you're "stuck with your selling dealership in New York" or "stuck with paying a mobile service tech that Keystone will agree to work on your trailer".

Right now, you're sort of "out there with no support. Unlike the automobile dealerships, an RV dealership is not "required to even tell you the time of day"... It's up to you to develop a relationship with a dealer who will accept your warranty work. Otherwise, you've got Keystone's CS as your only recourse.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 01:41 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

The way their warranty works as explained to me by the service manager at my dealership is that there is no reimbursement for trouble shooting or "isolation". They have a book (I've posted the name previously but I've forgotten) similar to ones used by car dealerships that give the standard, authorized hours for a given repair. A mobile tech will not only charge for their isolation time but also a trip charge. My neighbor here in this park is having work done and said the trip charge is $125 PER DAY if the work extends into the next day. Something to keep in mind and also sort of explains a manufacturers reluctance to use mobile services.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 01:54 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

For the fireplace you need to contact that dealer to make sure he will even work on your trailer as John said. If they will tell them the issue, provide proof that you have 120vac at the plug and maybe they will let you pull it out and bring it to them for either diagnosis or replacement. In any event you need to call them first, and if it were me, I'd speak to the service manager.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:10 PM   #24
jasin1

The last thing that may have not been mentioned but when you purchase a rv…you need to do a pdi before you sign the paperwork. Go over everything..

I don’t know if you did or not but it was shipped all the way across country…( you said you purchased inNY and shipped it to California) was it towed or was it on a flatbed? It may have gotten banged and bumped at 80miles an hour across 20 sates and bad roads by someone who doesn’t have a vested interest in how the trip effects the long term reliability of the trailer.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:25 AM   #25
Blueswede

I’m having a hard time understanding why you would buy an RV in NY and have it shipped to California…..there are so many dealerships so much closer……seems like you sort of boxed yourself into a corner…
Old 02-25-2022, 05:55 AM   #26
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueswede View Post
I’m having a hard time understanding why you would buy an RV in NY and have it shipped to California…..there are so many dealerships so much closer……seems like you sort of boxed yourself into a corner…
There are sellers that specialize in selling online that ship "right to your home". We have had quite a few folks experience issues where that seller is a LONG way away. Example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14441569599...IAAOSwfk5iC7~I
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:14 AM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The way their warranty works as explained to me by the service manager at my dealership is that there is no reimbursement for trouble shooting or "isolation". They have a book (I've posted the name previously but I've forgotten) similar to ones used by car dealerships that give the standard, authorized hours for a given repair. A mobile tech will not only charge for their isolation time but also a trip charge. My neighbor here in this park is having work done and said the trip charge is $125 PER DAY if the work extends into the next day. Something to keep in mind and also sort of explains a manufacturers reluctance to use mobile services.
Diagnostic time is typically 1/2 Hr. Factory sets that and if you can provide proof that it took longer they might pay. Repair labor is pretty much set in stone and again it takes a TON of pictures to prove it took longer and still it’s not a guarantee they will pay the total time. BTDT.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:33 AM   #28
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Diagnostic time is typically 1/2 Hr. Factory sets that and if you can provide proof that it took longer they might pay. Repair labor is pretty much set in stone and again it takes a TON of pictures to prove it took longer and still it’s not a guarantee they will pay the total time. BTDT.
Keystone basically guarantees the safe passage of the rv from the factory to the selling dealer …right? Then you do a pdi ( or the dealer does one) and you purchase the rv.

How does that work when you or the dealer ships it across the country (or across the world on a ship) ?

How does keystone know that damage when it reaches its final destination was caused at the factory or during transit?…if I was Keystone I’d require the owner to fly in to the the selling dealer and inspect it there and sign off……once it travels from factory to dealer then another 3000 miles across the country I’d say you would have a hard time proving it was defective unless it was something obvious.

If you order something online and it’s damaged when it arrives then often times your fight is with the carrier

Maybe I’m wrong but seems like a gray area
Old 02-25-2022, 07:49 AM   #29
Carrottop

We have purchased out new 21 Keystone Residence in October and we were told by the dealer that we have to do our walkthrough on May 2nd and then they will deliver the unit and place it on blocks for us on May 09. I am assuming if there was any damage after the May 02 inspection it would be between whomever they hire to deliver the unit and me. I cannot expect Keystone to take responsibility for the transport to its final destination. Thankfully it is on 60km from the dealer so I am hoping it goes smooth.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:57 AM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

Chuck do y'all use the flat rate labor manual? I don't recall the name of it (I've posted it previously but don't recall). When I bought this trailer I insisted on a large warranty "repair", much larger than Keystone wanted to do. He pulled up the labor rate guide and said that is what they used because it's what Keystone used (he also said they don't show it to customers but we were friends). The labor allowances (hours) were set in stone and there were allowances for ALL kinds of stuff - we looked for several different types of things as well as scroll through several pages for examples. As I recall the warranty labor rate they were paid was $130hr. vs their normal $149hr.

Pictures, pictures, pictures. Yep, they wanted tons of pictures...and video. The work I wanted done was far more complex and costly than what they proposed - or were willing to do. The SA and service manager both said they would probably need me to run point with Keystone to which I said no problem. On the same day the service manager was in his office talking to the manager of the warranty folks that assess problems and solutions I was on the phone outside his office starting with the head of the Montana product line and ending with the manager of the Keystone warranty division. Ended up approving my solution which was far, far more than what they proposed. I and the entire staff at the dealership were in shock. In the end they had to repeatedly go back to get more hours authorized using only that book along with the pics you mentioned and videos to continue to augment the allotted hours. Initially they authorized 4 hrs. to do the work, in the end it took a full week with the tech working long days as I wanted the RV back.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:11 AM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Flat rate book sounds familiar. Present employer does mainly extended warranty and insurance work so different “rules”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:12 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrottop View Post
We have purchased out new 21 Keystone Residence in October and we were told by the dealer that we have to do our walkthrough on May 2nd and then they will deliver the unit and place it on blocks for us on May 09. I am assuming if there was any damage after the May 02 inspection it would be between whomever they hire to deliver the unit and me. I cannot expect Keystone to take responsibility for the transport to its final destination. Thankfully it is on 60km from the dealer so I am hoping it goes smooth.
If I were you, I'd get the dealer to clarify the part in red....

The way you "stated it" the dealer is making arrangements for delivery and blocking of the trailer ??? If so, then THE DEALER is responsible for whatever happens with the transporter/leveling crew... If, on the other hand, YOU are making arrangements for a transport crew and a leveling crew, then YOU are responsible for any damage those people might do....

Don't just assume !!!!! Contact the dealership and ask the questions and get the answers... If someone runs into the trailer during delivery or if it slips off the blocks during leveling, is it your responsibility or since the dealer chose/paid for the workers, are they responsible for any damage.....

The dealer should have insurance to cover any damage done by HIS employees/contracted workers... It should not be up to you to "fix his mistakes"....

I'd ask for clarification on just who is responsible for what.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:20 AM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Chuck do y'all use the flat rate labor manual? I don't recall the name of it (I've posted it previously but don't recall). When I bought this trailer I insisted on a large warranty "repair", much larger than Keystone wanted to do. He pulled up the labor rate guide and said that is what they used because it's what Keystone used (he also said they don't show it to customers but we were friends). The labor allowances (hours) were set in stone and there were allowances for ALL kinds of stuff - we looked for several different types of things as well as scroll through several pages for examples. As I recall the warranty labor rate they were paid was $130hr. vs their normal $149hr.

Pictures, pictures, pictures. Yep, they wanted tons of pictures...and video. The work I wanted done was far more complex and costly than what they proposed - or were willing to do. The SA and service manager both said they would probably need me to run point with Keystone to which I said no problem. On the same day the service manager was in his office talking to the manager of the warranty folks that assess problems and solutions I was on the phone outside his office starting with the head of the Montana product line and ending with the manager of the Keystone warranty division. Ended up approving my solution which was far, far more than what they proposed. I and the entire staff at the dealership were in shock. In the end they had to repeatedly go back to get more hours authorized using only that book along with the pics you mentioned and videos to continue to augment the allotted hours. Initially they authorized 4 hrs. to do the work, in the end it took a full week with the tech working long days as I wanted the RV back.

Edit: To clarify the above post; upon approval of my requested work it was approved by Keystone as a one off, one time, "good will" repair.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Take heed to what John has said. If the dealer is moving/ setting up the trailer the responsability is theirs until you take possession. If you contracted the dealer for a "turnkey" purchase they contracted the movers then all resolution would be between you and the dealer. I would suggest if that's the case then a "delivery inspection " before signing off on the delivery. If that's not possible then hire your own contractor to do that work as yould otherwise be paying the dealer a premium for a service that they have no risk or intrest in the outcome.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:29 AM   #35
Carrottop

I will reach out to them to ask the question. They charged me for the delivery and blocking on the purchase agreement so I would think they would be responsible. They asked us to do a walkthrough a week earlier than delivery so that if we find anything wrong with it they could rectify it in their shop before delivery. We are under govt insurance here so if the trailer were damaged during transport the govt insurance would cover it and the driver of the truck pulling it would would take the rating hit if it were his fault. Good point on the blocking though and any damage that may occur from that. I will clarify with them and note it on the delivery sign off.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
Old 02-25-2022, 10:01 AM   #36
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrottop View Post
I will reach out to them to ask the question. They charged me for the delivery and blocking on the purchase agreement so I would think they would be responsible. They asked us to do a walkthrough a week earlier than delivery so that if we find anything wrong with it they could rectify it in their shop before delivery. We are under govt insurance here so if the trailer were damaged during transport the govt insurance would cover it and the driver of the truck pulling it would would take the rating hit if it were his fault. Good point on the blocking though and any damage that may occur from that. I will clarify with them and note it on the delivery sign off.
I would ask them what the experience level and qualifications are of whoever they pay to transport and block up..saw this the other day..scary
Old 02-25-2022, 10:11 AM   #37
Carrottop

I did ask that question and they told me that they have used the same person for over 20 years and he is the only one they allow to transport and block the park models for them. Of course I will be following him out and watching the entire time.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
Old 02-25-2022, 10:45 AM   #38
wiredgeorge

OP has not logged back onto the forum for a week since posting last.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:59 AM   #39
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
OP has not logged back onto the forum for a week since posting last.
Yet the conversation goes on

We never let small details like that interrupt us
Old 02-25-2022, 12:55 PM   #40
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone ID View Post
I have the Innoflame RV48. There are no error codes on this model and only a remote with 5 buttons. Resetting the breaker did not help. The manual does not indicate any proximity sensor. There is not much on the internet about this unit.
No manual switches on the unit? Only a remote? Maybe the remote is bad? Have you verified the heating coil is being energized?
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality