Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #21
miaoreo

Wow the horror stories just don't end, do they? I guess it just shows how bad customer service has gotten, not only in the RV world but in all aspects of business...

2018 Chevrolet High Country 3500 Duramax
2018 Keystone Alpine 3900RE Toy Hauler
miaoreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:19 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaoreo View Post
Wow the horror stories just don't end, do they? I guess it just shows how bad customer service has gotten, not only in the RV world but in all aspects of business...
It not only emphasizes how bad customer service has gotten, but, as is mentioned on the forum repeatedly, how very important it is to make sure you have a stand up dealer before you buy from them or take something in for service.

I know many folks prefer mom and pop dealerships, and, if you know them, or have done your research on them, they may be just stellar. But if they aren't, as the example above shows, you are at the complete mercy of one individual; so you better get it right the first time. I prefer a larger chain so that my options do not run out at the front desk.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #23
miaoreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It not only emphasizes how bad customer service has gotten, but, as is mentioned on the forum repeatedly, how very important it is to make sure you have a stand up dealer before you buy from them or take something in for service.

I know many folks prefer mom and pop dealerships, and, if you know them, or have done your research on them, they may be just stellar. But if they aren't, as the example above shows, you are at the complete mercy of one individual; so you better get it right the first time. I prefer a larger chain so that my options do not run out at the front desk.

Well that was my original issue! I went to Camping World, you don't get much larger than that! And they totally lied to me and didn't fix ANYTHING until I went in to pick up my unit, which they had told me was READY, and it Wasn't... Camping World of Lowell, Arkansas service dept is totally Incompetent! They NEVER returned my phone calls, They did NOT fix my refrigerator and they didn't fix anything until I went into the store and stood in front of the Service Manager and LOUDLY voiced my displeasure!!!:bangh ead:

2018 Chevrolet High Country 3500 Duramax
2018 Keystone Alpine 3900RE Toy Hauler
miaoreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, unfortunately I have to agree. There are good ones and bad ones both big and small.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #25
gearhead

Find a Mom & Pop repair only shop that has been in business forever, that your neighbors use, that the owners work at, that is an authorized warranty shop for your broken components.
They are out there.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #26
ImTravis

My biggest issue with Keystone warranty was when our front cap faded at about 2 years. We kept it covered in wintertime, so the second season we took it out, we noticed the fade. Reached out to our dealer, and sent pics. They reached out to Keystone, who denied it, because it was right at 2 years. We would've most likely reported sooner, had we not taken care of it, and put it under cover during the winter (which was approx 12 months out of 24). It was a known issue with 2013 and 2014 models. When I directly reached out and asked why I was being punished for taking care of my trailer, they stated that the warranty was from the date built, not date of purchase (as it was less than two years since purchase).
I'm hoping our new manufacturer will take care of any warranty issues, as any other issue we had with our trailer, I took care of myself (except the A/C recall, let CW take care of it for s).
Old 05-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #27
mhbell

Thumbs down These are the reasons I will never buy New Again

I have owned several New RV's over the last 40 plus years and will never buy another New RV of any kind. The only New RV that I bought and never had a problem was a 1998 National Tropi Cal Motor Home. Never had a problem with it in 8 years of ownership. Not even minor things. Never had to have any work done on it. Just routine maintenance. They don't build them like that anymore. Every new RV I have bought since Had problems, some minor and some major. The last new one I bought was a 2017 FR EVO Travel trailer. After 4 months I traded it off for a used 2016 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. To many problems with the EVO. Never will I buy another new RV.
Mel
Old 05-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #28
Auggie Waterman

I agree with you Cougar Pelt- you must check every little thing, be prepared to spend 2 hours at least on your walkthrough and if they won't connect water and sewer I'd be hesitant to buy from that dealer. AFter reading this I feel like canceling our six year extended warranty. Nothing too complicated in the trailer except maybe the fridge and AC.

Just because other brands/dealers suck is zero excuse for any brand to have a terrible or non-existent quality control.
Auggie Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #29
cougar high country 2013

We have a grand design Soletude 5th wheel. Shortly after we had a leak under the bathroom FL when flushing black tank. Contacted GD. and they didn't hesitate to fix the problem we actually called a Mobile rv and they came to our site and took care of the issue. In the summer another issue came up and once again they didn't hesitate and problem resolved. Great customer service in my opinion.
cougar high country 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:13 PM   #30
Bttravel

I have to give kudos to my dealer, Byerly RV. They were able to get two things on two different occasions covered under warranty about 2 and 4 months out of coverage. I did document well with numerous photos, measurements, etc. They told me that's what made it easier to get them to cover it. It was a true defect and/or faulty part. Byerly is a family/employee owned operation that does a good job with a good staff.
Bttravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #31
wifi_guy

Aren’t your frustrations more dealer related? I mean you don’t ever work directly with Keystone.
wifi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:50 AM   #32
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi_guy View Post
Aren’t your frustrations more dealer related? I mean you don’t ever work directly with Keystone.
Exactly this point is made often on the forum in multiple threads. You have to work through the dealer. The dealer has to do good documentation of the problem. Then the dealer has to fight for you. Working with them is imperative. A box of donuts dropped off randomly helps a lot. Trusting them but verifying their work is mandatory. It's like a tag team mud wrestling event. Uou and the dealer have yo work together.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:20 AM   #33
wiredgeorge

Thorough PDI lasting two hours? If a buyer who is new to RVing (perhaps first or second purchase) goes through this process, is that person likely to spot all the issues if they don't know how things are supposed to be fitted or operate? Probably not; perhaps the newbie would be best encouraged to hire a mobile RV mechanic to accompany him through the walk through and explanation. Would it be a good idea for someone to develop a checklist of things to be checked during the PDI such as water heater bypass, manual slide-out operation, operation of the power converter, slide seal user maintenance... in other words, the things we often have new owners ask about on this forum. I have owned quite a few pull trailers and 5vers and find things on each I had no idea about. Since I buy older and used RVs, perhaps some of the things I find are age/wear related but some could apply to a PDI checklist.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Thorough PDI lasting two hours? If a buyer who is new to RVing (perhaps first or second purchase) goes through this process, is that person likely to spot all the issues if they don't know how things are supposed to be fitted or operate? Probably not; perhaps the newbie would be best encouraged to hire a mobile RV mechanic to accompany him through the walk through and explanation. Would it be a good idea for someone to develop a checklist of things to be checked during the PDI such as water heater bypass, manual slide-out operation, operation of the power converter, slide seal user maintenance... in other words, the things we often have new owners ask about on this forum. I have owned quite a few pull trailers and 5vers and find things on each I had no idea about. Since I buy older and used RVs, perhaps some of the things I find are age/wear related but some could apply to a PDI checklist.
wiredgeorge,
If you develop that checklist and want to share it, we'll find a place to post it on the forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #35
Ken / Claudia

The dealer we bought from Curtis, in PDX. Said they set up PDIs 1 morning and 1 afternoon, allowing 4 hours for each unit. My 8th? RV, I still listened and watched everything and asked questions, pointed out items to fix and salesman made a list of that stuff. That list was written up and signed. I really did not learn anything on the PDI except that the stuff worked as they showed me. It may have taken 1.5 hours. Just like the TV, don't get blinded by the colors, check out the whole darn thing. Go home and read the manuals, ask questions to the service dept. if you did not understand something. If that was done no one would post How do I to turn on water heater etc.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:25 AM   #36
foldbak

The dealerships hands are tied by the manufacturer. The manufacture mass produces a product engineered to deliver the most profit using the least amount of materials. They outsource every component and squeeze every penny with little to no quality control.

I've had my trailer for less then a year and every time I take it out it ends up back at the dealership for warranty. Hell they know me by name..... Most of the problems I've had were caused by poor workmanship. I live in Sacramento so it's HOT. My wife and I go to the coast 6 times a year to escape the heat. We went last weekend. I opened the trailer to load up and it was an oven of course. I had all of the shades closed and a cover on it. I tried to open the shades and the pleats wouldn't fold. It took me an hour just to get the shades up. I had to adjust the 3 large shades because they wouldn't stay up. Then I noticed all the wallpaper corners, trims and seams peeling. OK add to the list. Both LP tanks were empty. I filled them and connected only to find that BOTH LP hoses were leaking at the crimp. I can understand cheeping out on aesthetic items but I have a real problem cutting corners on safety items. I talked to the service manager and she told me that "yes" they are seeing a lot of quality issues. We even talked about California lemon law. Hell what else is wrong with the trailer that I cant see? 9 leaking windows replaced, leveling system sensor just hanging in the belly. The awning arms are mounted crocked. The bottoms collapsed on 2 drawers. The list goes on and on. At least the dealership is working with me.
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #37
Local150

I have had the same problems,, I have found out your warranty, no matter what brand is only as good as your dealer, the dealer I have I am pretty sure he has ate some of the fixes,, ,,, just like insurance ,,,, only as good as your agent
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:45 PM   #38
JimMach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaoreo View Post
I just got off the phone with a very pleasant lady in Norcold Cust Service. She took my model and serial number, looked it up and said Camping World of Lowell, Arkansas had NEVER contacted them about this unit. It wasn't even registered in their system. She registered it, took notes and gave me a list of three other service centers in the area to contact.
So essentially my problem was never fixed at all! even lied to me saying that my refrigerator had a recall which it does not... I now have service scheduled at a different dealer....
We bought ours and dealer handed us the warranty papers to fill out and register ac and appliances. Then you know it’s done.
JimMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #39
JimMach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi_guy View Post
Would be my opinion too but you can’t be mad at dealer for warranty taking so long or repair times they are human too screaming and yelling gets you nowhere. Just saying I had my camper at the dealer for 6 months for piddling little things they called and said campers done I refused to pick it up in the rain but did anyway didn’t walk around it when I got it home I found it had been hit 2 times and they patched a hole in the back repainted it not a good job either when confronted wouldn’t do anything for us. So I traded it off. Not there though 3 hours away. It was hit hard enough one of the slides leaked when I got it back. Replaced rear bumper rear luggage rack and slid decal down trying to hide it.
JimMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #40
GBR

Well, I found the general comments quite interesting with respect to getting warranty approvals from the manufacturer. Blaming the documentation or lack thereof or the quality supporting the claim is a reasonable assumtion but not necessarily the case. I have a 2017 Alpine 3011re that was only used this past winter for 90 day’s in Florida. While there, the kitchen grey tank overflowed into the belly of trailer and impossible to get fixed without great deal of hassel. Had it on film so great documentation and got approved repair from Keystone on May 5th,2018. Complained about the slides stopping multiple times before full extension. Dealer went to Keystone for approval to repair a bent bar the runs a lenght of the front of the slide. Repair refused. Dealer appealed as the could not understand why and still refused. I called Keystone and the lady said i did something to cause the damage and was classified as “incidental”. She also said the the engineers indicated that the mechanism was perfect when it left the factory. No way would they approve the repair. I said the kitchen grey tank was perfect when it left the factory but I did not screw it up. No reply, just dead air. I then authorized the repair at my cost at dealer. Subsequently I received a call from dealer that the repair was approved. They said that as they extended the slide they noted the Keystone over torqued the bolts to the slide and bent the bar and resulted in the damage to the slide and blew a hole in the j-mold and broke the right side trim piece. Fortunately I do have a good dealer. One last point, delivered for service May 5th,2018 and got back August 13th as getting replacement parts take weeks and months and I still have no repair to kitchen grey tank and J-mold that was ordered twice arrived but wrong texture. Maybe I can get to use it next summer. Got to have patience of Jobe owing an RV.
Pullrite 16K Superglide
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
GBR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, warranty