Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #1
larryi

Fifth Wheel Hitch Selection help

I'm looking at upgrading soon from a TT to a fifth wheel and need to start shopping for a hitch. My 2014 Chevy 3500 SRW regular bed with a drop in bed liner that does not have any puck systems. I am thinking to look for a 18-20k rated hitch for any future trailer upgrades that end up happening.

Not having had this type of hitch before, my pickup bed is critical to me for hauling plywood when not camping. The idea of rails always mounted in the bed and scarring plywood I haul is not desirable. I also hate to spend the money for a below the bed rail system. Is there an above the rail hitch that I should be looking at that does all of this? I know with a bed liner you have to cut the liner to let the rails sit flat on the metal bed, if i had a permanent piece of plywood with slots cutout where the rails are as a spacer would that raise up materials I am hauling so they are not damaged from the rails? I can't find any specs on how tall rails sit above the bed and with the bed liner, how much more does that help me maybe? Or do I just need to cough up more money for a below the bed rail system?

Thanks for any words of wisdom. I hate to spend the money and learn I should have purchased something else.
larryi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
Frank G

Look at installing a Gooseneck hitch below the bed with a removable ball, then a Reese Goose box hitch for the fifth wheel. This solves all of your bed issues.

Once you have the Gooseneck hitch in the truck you have other options, like the B&W companion fifth wheel hitch.

www.etrailer.com
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #3
travelin texans

B&W turnover with Companion 5th wheel hitch would be my ONLY recommendation. No rails, easily removed, & easily connects /disconnects from the 5er at almost any angle. Made in the USA.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:18 AM   #4
NorskeBob

Have had drop in bed liners and soft liners in our trucks. Presently have a soft liner. Install the rails and then put in the liner. Did have to cut slots for the hitch. Only large enough for the hitch to be installed. No issues carrying stuff in the bed.

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...P50066-58.html

Pictures are on the site for the rail kit. I installed the kit in our truck - no issues.

I have a Husky 16K hitch in my truck.
https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...326-31314.html

It comes in a higher rated model.

Have installed air bags too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	035.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	16362   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch plate.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	16363  

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:23 AM   #5
tech740

I second the gooseneck option. It makes the bed smooth when not needed. There are a few options out there also that will attach directly to the gooseneck ball or take the place of it. Companion, Curt X5, Andersen, and Pullrite are all options for that type of connection.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:19 AM   #6
Canonman

The Anderson Ultimate works well for us. Literally a one handed operation to remove the entire hitch (35#) when the truck bed is needed for other purposes.
Here is a short video showing the Anderson hitch:
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
gearhead

Get an underbed gooseneck (B&W) then a PullRite:
http://www.pullrite.com/2600
There's all kinds of combinations. You can do the B&W gooseneck, then use a Curt adapter for rails, and then use a conventional hitch. Yeah, I have all the combinations in my garage.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:40 AM   #8
Howie

I just sold my TT and bought a 5th. After looking and researching for months and physically inspecting the different brands, I choose the Curt underbed hitch and the Anderson drop in. I am in my 70s and have no one to assist when I need to install or remove the drop in so the much heavier brands are extremely difficult to remove and install. The Anderson is literally a one handed operation (well I do grab it with both hands) as it only weighs 40 lbs. For anyone who is not a hulking weight lifter this is the only way to go.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #9
KHBama

The Andersen Ultimate hitch works well? I've been looking at getting the Rail version but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #10
Howie

Andersen hitch

yes, it works better than I expected and gives a better ride/pull. Smoother and quieter with no jerking. I have had 2 other brands which work well but I can not move them without help. The Anderson is so easy it is unbelievable. I decided to not do the rails on the new truck because of interference with a smooth bed. The under bed hitch I bought from Curt was only about $60 more than a rail version (other brands are probably the same) but the ease of installation was why I went with Curt. They have a model that allows you to center the drill bit from below to make sure you get the hole in the bed correct and there are no other holes you have drill for bolts, etc The Anderson model I bought was more expensive to get the under bed mount than the rail version but not much and the under bed is ever rated at a higher weight which I will never come close to. Excellent decision on my part for once.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
gkainz

I've been using the Andersen Ultimate aluminum for 3-4 years now with no complaints.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #12
craftguy

I'll throw in a second or third for the Andersen Ultimate. Have used a sliding hitch, gooseneck, and prefer the ride and ease of hook up on mine.
craftguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #13
KHBama

I’m assuming the Aluminum version is very similar to the rail system version in quality?
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #14
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
I’m assuming the Aluminum version is very similar to the rail system version in quality?
The Aluminum Anderson actually tested better than the original steel version.
See the video I posted earlier in this thread.
No problems in over 20k miles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6321 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	1,005.8 KB
ID:	16469  
Old 05-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #15
Jowen242

I have the B&W turn over ball with the Anderson Aluminum and it works great. My wife even sets up the trailer and loads onto hitch before I can finish buckling up the rig. I would buy again and again. I also bought the safety chain kit. I can add a separate testimony, We recently took the trailer out for a 1000 mile loop, in the process "We" my wife and I loaded up the trailer, I thought she did the safety pin and vice versa her me, We took off, check check double check, 300 miles to first stop, when we disconnected trailer we realized the pin was closed and the trailer was just sitting on top of the ball!!!!!! Good thing for pin weight and good roads! Anyhow, we made a flag to remind us to check the safety pin before and after loading. Hope this helps.
Jowen242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:12 AM   #16
larryi

Jowen, I really like your idea of flagging the pin handle to help identify if its been closed and locked or not. We all know how important routines are when hooking up and how easy it is to get distracted and miss a step. This would definitely help to prevent that.

Thanks everyone for the comments and it seems like my decision is getting closer to complete on choosing the Andersen hitch.

I have seen how some people have used an offset gooseneck ball in the bed to push the connection back in the bed to give added clearance for turning since the Andersen is not a slider. Can anyone speak to their problems of the Andersen not being a slider? Do you have concerns on clearance in tight turns? I know you can rotate 180 the coupler to gain some clearance. I have the regular bed, not the 8' bed.

Thanks,
larryi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #17
Canonman

We have used the Anderson for 3 seasons, Making U turns and backing into some pretty tight camp spots. We have a short bed Ram and have not had any problems with clearance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_1475 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	16479  
Old 05-17-2018, 07:41 AM   #18
Jowen242

Larryi, Yes we have an F150 Short bed 5.5' with the Anderson gooseneck setup with the rear offset, we also have the coupler rotated 180 to accommodate the closer connection. The 5'er we have is a Cougar X-Lite 28 foot.
Jowen242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:38 AM   #19
SC Dreamer

I have the ultimate hitch. Watch the videos on YouTube from Andersen. The length of pin box to ball socket is critical to not interfere with the bed rail of truck. Also, think about that when deciding where to mount release handle So it doesn't hit side of truck in 90 degree situations. I have long bed and my hitch box was just under 30" to center of socket when turned forward of the king pin. Worked out perfect but still have to watch camper in uneven ground to make sure it doesn't hit top of truck bed rails. Hasn't yet, but does get close if real uneven.
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #20
Auggie Waterman

I have B&W standard rails and their Patriot 18k hitch, cut my Ram rubber bedliner for the rails and they don't stick up above it. The Anderson looks like the best if you want to install and remove a hitch a lot though, but one question: How do you remove the ball that sticks up into the bed after you remove the Anderson? Just a pin? Also the Anderson doesn't offer height adjustment.
Auggie Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch