Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
gearhead

Alignment

Just home from 4 weeks and 4,000 miles on the road. About halfway into the trip, actually in Elkhart, IN., I noticed an unusual tire wear pattern. On the rear axle the inside of both tires was worn more than the rest of the tire. I had the tires rotated in Elkhart. I considered the possibilities, first being I am overloaded on the rear axle, or I'm out of alignment, camber wise. So after a long day of driving through Dallas traffic and on home I decided to weigh the axles while we were loaded up. They are Dexter 5200#. I was expecting the worst but I think I'm good on weight. From memory, the forward axle was 4400# and the rear 4700# give or take a few. The tires are 2+ years old and have around 8,000 miles on them. Never rotated until now. I'll probably replace the tires next spring. I found a Houston tire dealer (Strouhal) that says they can just check alignment for $75 and correct for a total of $150.
The wear isn't bad, some folks may not even notice.
My question is how do they check alignment and how do they re-bend the axle for correction? Is that price quote realistic?
I've spent 35 years dealing with rotating equipment alignment with dial indicators and lasers. I can easily over think this. LOL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote