Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
smiller

Leaving Pets in RV While Under Way?

You guys leave pets in the trailer while underway?

Moderator's note: This post originally appeared in a thread discussion about generators in the Technical section. Since it didn't seem to have much to do with generators, it was moved here.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

NOPE !!! Bubba, our German Wirehair Pointer, gets his hair all over the black upholstery and carpet in my 'new truck" every time we take a trip. If you've ever ridden in a travel trailer you'd not want to subject your pets to the bouncing, swaying, jiggling and potential for things like the refrigerator to open spilling heavy items on them, cabinets opening doing the same thing, or simply them crawling up in your chair and being thrown to the floor when you hit that unexpected bump.

Keep them with you, in sight and safe !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
smiller

Yeah, I think riding in a trailer while underway would be terrifying for an animal (it's pretty scary even for me!) not to mention the chance for injury. I just wanted to see if I was misunderstanding something.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
jje1960

What????

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Yeah, I think riding in a trailer while underway would be terrifying for an animal (it's pretty scary even for me!) not to mention the chance for injury. I just wanted to see if I was misunderstanding something.
Our cat is the happiest animal in the world since we moved him from the truck to the 5Ver. We don't do this for 'us' we do it for 'him'. Poor guy was a mess over the years in the TV, now he's happy without any drugs from the vet, has his water, food and litterbox in the 5Ver. When we stop, there he is on the couch half an' eye open purring like normal, unlike when he's in the TV stressed-out so far we worry. No more puke, no more poop, no more worry. Sorry, don't think there is any "terrifying" moments in the SRX... if there was, we would not do it. BTW, his water does not even spill, how "Terrifying" can it be....
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
cumminsdad08

i often concidered keeping our collie in the trailer while in travel. we never go far, but the truck gets full sometimes with kids, and the collie don't do well when "crowded". she usually just hangs her head out the rear sliding window and pants like crazy till we get there, then hides for an hour or so till she chills out. i think she gets clostophobic(sp?) in the truck. i have a crate we use to use for her that would fit right inside the door, this would keep her safe, and there wouldn't be anything to fall onto her there. i don't usually care about the hair, i got kids, the dog tends to be cleanier anyway's. we did do a cat a few times, he was on strict meds at the time for an infection, so he came with us a few times, and the last time he made a huge mess in the truck floor. anything that could come out, did. i was never so happy for rubber mats in my life.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Outbackmel

Cat in 5er

Let's hear some more stories about this. We are looking at 6 days x usa to AZ soon. Our cat gets very nervous when she sees the cage come out. We have a front bunk house model which would provide her with either choice of 2 beds or sofa...think we may try this approach. I am thinking that the front of the 5er bounces less than the rear since it is closer to the king pin.

Maybe she will be more content. Won't be 2 cold or warm...

Would you leave a covered roof vent open for ventilation? would be more concerned about carbon monoxide build up??

Thoughts...comments
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
hankaye

Howdy All;

Would you leave your kids in ther ???????

Living breathing critter with fears, emotions, and TRUSTS YOU

Rascal rides shotgun...
(with a safety harness designed for dogs).

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
f6bits

I never thought of a travel trailer as being a suitable place to ride for our dog. I’d use the same laws for carrying passengers in RVs as a guideline for pets. I know people aren’t allowed to ride in a travel trailer. I thought there were some states that allowed people to ride in a fiver.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #9
Maxzd

Interesting topic, sure to be much debate and opinion. I remember as kids we would climb in and out of the truck and camper thru the window while on route. =). I remember dogs were in the truck camper, always on the trip.

Pets in 5th wheel.. Well, horses go in trailers. People have their dogs Hanging off the back of pickup trucks. Pets go in class A and class C motorhomes and roam freely. A 5th wheel motion is similar, just no access. If the pet is happy, there is no law against it then my opinion is I don't think it's an issue. We don't have pets so not something we have to plan for when we travel..

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
Frogdown

Dogs in truck - cats in 5th wheel

We have always had the dogs in the truck, but the cats are much happier in the 5th wheel. One of our four cats is almost always a wreck at home and does far better camping. She hates the truck but is very happy in the back. We open the door when we stop and they all look very content.
Frogdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
Outbackmel

Pets in the 5er

Some states do allow people to ride in a 5er as long as they have communication with the TV in event of need. Don't believe we will try that one, divorce is sooo costly these days and I do not want the 5er as " home sweet home". I would miss my 55 inch TV

We DO NOT have dogs, we have a cat. I think we are going to try this on our first leg of the trip and check her more frequently at rest areas. We can let her roam in the forward cabin (closed door) where all her necessary supplies are located. Plenty of comfort choices and nothing is there that can fall and hurt her. Besides when we stop, she sleeps in that room 99% of the time so she is familiar with it.

Hate to coop her up in a litte carrier for 6 days!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
DocData757

We have 4 cats and have made 3 trips between FL and NY. They have always rode in the 5er. They throw up when they ride in the truck but not in the 5er. They all take corners of our bed. We stop occasionally and give them time to roam a little. Gives us stretch time ourselves.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
Grss

We had our cat ride in the TT one time for about a 10 mile trip from the campground to the next stop. I've NEVER seen an animal so freeked out in it's life. He now stays home and our new Dachshund rides shotgun.
Grss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
cumminsdad08

i don't think it would be a problem. the more i think about it, i can't imagine it would be that bad in the trailer. i wouldn't worry about CO2 and i wouldn't leave a vent open. unless you got those fancy vent ez cover thingys, it would be an easy way to damage the vent lid. i don't think i would do it in the dead of summer, i would imagine it would get pretty hot in there then.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #15
CarKath

I for one would never subjet my pets to riding in the trailer. I have strong opinions on this I best keep to myself.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #16
LeeMedic

Here is a good reason not to have your pets in your trailer/5th wheel.

This happened to me!

The trailer rolled, our TV did not. The contents in the trailer were toss all around and would of killed any animal riding in the trailer. Our dogs ride in the TV with us.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
jje1960

Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMedic View Post
Here is a good reason not to have your pets in your trailer/5th wheel.

This happened to me!

The trailer rolled, our TV did not. The contents in the trailer were toss all around and would of killed any animal riding in the trailer. Our dogs ride in the TV with us.

Wow, nasty mishap there with the trailer and the TV, happy you were all alright. Is that an SUV in the picture? Also sorry about your TT loss, nice looking unit, what Sprinter is that? Again, very happy you and others were not injured. And yea, 'Lenard' would have definitely been PO'd if that would have happened in our 5Ver! I won't let him see this picture before this years travels start!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
Frogdown

No more response!

Our dogs love the truck and that is where they ride. The cats hate the truck but love the fifth wheel. Everyone needs to make their own choices. This is a personal choice. We have talked to the cats about this! No more comment from me.
Frogdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
jje1960

Talking to the cats....

Yea got that right! Like I've stated earlier, we made our choice for the pet, not us. Best thing we ever did was move 'Lenard' to the 5Ver, it was that or he did not go anymore, stuck without us n' the neighbor visiting ever couple of days back at home... Forget that, nothing wrong with our choice, it's our way.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #20
cumminsdad08

ummmm, a truck accident can happen just as fast as a trailer incident. this is a risk you take anytime you do anything. i have seen trucks all cracked up and nothing really wrong with the trailer or its contents. not trying to start a fight or anything, just putting my 2 cents in. not to degress here, the OP was just asking what people do, i guess not for their comments, sorry.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix