Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #41
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
This totally reminded me of some people we camped next to in Missoula a couple of years ago. It was a 38' Cedar Creek fifth wheel towed by a F-150 - with Minnesota plates on both. I'm still wondering how fun Homestake pass by Butte was for them...
Was the F150 an EcoBoost? If it was max tow and max payload likely no worst than a F250 with a 6.2.
Now, about tires, wheels, and axle that would be interesting to know what they had for tires and wheels.

The big question is did you see it hooked up and was it anywhere near level???
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #42
cathcartww

Our 2012 Outback 277RL TT grosses close to 9000 lbs. and came with LRD tires and 4400lb axles - in my opinion, just barely adequate. Blew a tire after 2 years, so updated with Maaxis LRE tires. They ran well for a few more years, until the inside edges started wearing due to the axles loosing their chamber. Recently updated to 6000 lb axles and springs and Goodyear Guardian LRE tires, so hopefully those problems are behind us. Those original axles and tires may have been OK for someone that only tows the trailer a few hundred miles over weekends, but we travel like 5000 miles a year over several months at a time, and they weren't up to that kind of use.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:44 PM   #43
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Was the F150 an EcoBoost? If it was max tow and max payload likely no worst than a F250 with a 6.2.
Now, about tires, wheels, and axle that would be interesting to know what they had for tires and wheels.

The big question is did you see it hooked up and was it anywhere near level???
No EcoBoost. Had crunched his bed rails at some point with the 5er. Was a 5.4L crew cab, and the same body style as my Dad's 2009 F-150. I did not go next door and stare at their tires, so can't tell you on that. We did not see it hooked up because they were there longer than us. We were only in town for a couple of days for our son's cardiology appointment while going between Glacier and Yellowstone. And I still would have liked to have seen them go over Homestake with that setup.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:08 AM   #44
Tinner12002

I think I've mentioned this before, in my situation, my rv is rated at 19K GVWR, shipped weight is 16.2K, max weight in garage is 3020# which in itself would put me over GVWR. I'm good on my truck as far as weight according to the scales anyway. The interesting part is my axle rating is 21K and my tire rating is 24.4K. When I called a factory rep he told me that I could exceed the GVWR as long as I didn't exceed the axle rating, but, if I exceeded the GVWR and got stopped and weighed then I'd be in trouble. So what I'm saying is that my rv only has a CCC of 2900# which really isn't squat for a toy hauler but is it under rated on the GVWR? Again, according to the rep it is.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:00 AM   #45
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
No EcoBoost. Had crunched his bed rails at some point with the 5er. Was a 5.4L crew cab, and the same body style as my Dad's 2009 F-150. I did not go next door and stare at their tires, so can't tell you on that. We did not see it hooked up because they were there longer than us. We were only in town for a couple of days for our son's cardiology appointment while going between Glacier and Yellowstone. And I still would have liked to have seen them go over Homestake with that setup.
X2
Would have love to have seen it hooked up! Must have been screaming in 1st gear going about 5mph.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #46
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
I think I've mentioned this before, in my situation, my rv is rated at 19K GVWR, shipped weight is 16.2K, max weight in garage is 3020# which in itself would put me over GVWR. I'm good on my truck as far as weight according to the scales anyway. The interesting part is my axle rating is 21K and my tire rating is 24.4K. When I called a factory rep he told me that I could exceed the GVWR as long as I didn't exceed the axle rating, but, if I exceeded the GVWR and got stopped and weighed then I'd be in trouble. So what I'm saying is that my rv only has a CCC of 2900# which really isn't squat for a toy hauler but is it under rated on the GVWR? Again, according to the rep it is.
The way pick-up trucks are fitted by their builder causes their axles and tires to always have a higher load capacity than what they are fitted to. In other words, the axles will total out above the vehicle’s GVWR and the tires will total out above an axles GAWR. It’s called “load capacity reserve”.

The ultimate limiting factor on any vehicle is it’s GVWR. The next time someone tells you it’s alright to exceed GVWR, ask them to provide that information in writing.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:16 AM   #47
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The way pick-up trucks are fitted by their builder causes their axles and tires to always have a higher load capacity than what they are fitted to. In other words, the axles will total out above the vehicle’s GVWR and the tires will total out above an axles GAWR. It’s called “load capacity reserve”.

The ultimate limiting factor on any vehicle is it’s GVWR. The next time someone tells you it’s alright to exceed GVWR, ask them to provide that information in writing.
I think you may have misunderstood, My whole comment was about my RV, not my truck.
I doubt any RV manufacturer is going to put it in writing that its ok to exceed a stated GVWR on one of their trailers. Way too big a liability issue there!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:01 AM   #48
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
I think you may have misunderstood, My whole comment was about my RV, not my truck.
I doubt any RV manufacturer is going to put it in writing that its ok to exceed a stated GVWR on one of their trailers. Way too big a liability issue there!
Trailer or truck, same this apply. What a dealer/salesman say is one thing. What they'll put in writing is another. And I believe that you are right: they'll NEVER put it in writing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #49
rhagfo

Quote:

That statement isn't 100% true, the rear axle rating on my 2001 Ram is exactly the 245/75-16E 3,042# rating times two, or 6,084#. I have the optional 265/75-16E's at 3,415# ea.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #50
CWtheMan

Quote:
The ultimate limiting factor on any vehicle is it’s GVWR.

The specs to work your weight with are on the trailer's labeling. If the dealer did his "due diligence" with the CCC label your figures won't be over GVWR.

RV trailer fitments differ some from your truck's fitments. Keystone has gone overboard with their large 3 axle trailers and given their owner's LOTS of load capacity reserves. To get the braking capacity for the 19K trailer they probably had to go with 7000# GAWR axles. Doing so forced them to go with the LRG tires. I hope somewhere in the owner's manual they stressed not to exceed GVWR. You have lots of tire and axle reserves.

The reason I stressed the truck's limiting factors is because some think the commercial "hot shot" trucking info fits their situation and it does not.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #51
travelin texans

Quote:
The ultimate limiting factor on any vehicle is it’s GVWR.

The specs to work your weight with are on the trailer's labeling. If the dealer did his "due diligence" with the CCC label your figures won't be over GVWR.

RV trailer fitments differ some from your truck's fitments. Keystone has gone overboard with their large 3 axle trailers and given their owner's LOTS of load capacity reserves. To get the braking capacity for the 19K trailer they probably had to go with 7000# GAWR axles. Doing so forced them to go with the LRG tires. I hope somewhere in the owner's manual they stressed not to exceed GVWR. You have lots of tire and axle reserves.

The reason I stressed the truck's limiting factors is because some think the commercial "hot shot" trucking info fits their situation and it does not.
95% of those big THs should never be hooked up to anything but a dually truck either, I've lost count on how many I've seen behind 2500/250s, sorry folks that ain't enough truck once it's full of toys regardless of what your rv or truck salesman told you. My buddy bought a 42' TH 2 years ago that had GY Marathons Es on it, he almost made it from OKC to Tucson before blowing 2 of them, he has also upgraded to 17.5" Sailun 637 H, now has no more tire worries.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #52
KHBama

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRV2 View Post
It feels so comfortable and it tows great, even better than the previous tow behind. Which is when I added bags. The bags sure do help with the ride I understand they don't do anything for weight. Its really the numbers that are concerning to me and I didn't understand any of this weight rating stuff. I'm really close to overloading even on a three day weekend. However I'm learning and appreciate this forum.
WELCOME TO THE CLUB!! I have a similar 5er, Laredo 285SBH. My combo weighs in right at 9600lbs for the truck(loaded with gear and family), 16,700lbs combined. My Ram 2500 has a payload of 2260lbs, I'm over payload but well under axle and Combined ratings. It 100% tows better than my 6,000lb Travel trailer did. I installed airbags in my just for peace and mind, have very little squat on the back before the air bags. I would pay close attention to your tire and axle ratings unless you plan on going up to a 3500/350 anytime soon. I will do that in a few years but until then, I'll pay close attention to the same
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:18 AM   #53
NorskeBob

Once you are all loaded up go to a CAT scale and see how much load is on the axles. You may be close to the axle rating.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle