Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #1
Sandi

Fifth wheel grab handle

Wanting to find grab handles for inside fifth wheel stairs
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Bisjoe

With only one on the outside, I ordered two for our TT from Amazon, mounted one below the original outside for shorter people, and one on the inside. They are identical to the original, except for the screws, but came with screw covers.

https://www.amazon.com/CampN-Weather...r+handle&psc=1

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
Pull Toy

Try the '"Bathroom accessories" section at Lowes or Home Depot, for grab bars and such.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #4
Dave W

There are literally hundreds of choices from DIY to a stainless steel handicapped bath room grab bar that will work, Be aware that the inside stair wall will not hold any sort of railing without significant reinforcing while the outside wall isn't a lot better unless you can locate the studding - and then if that studding is wood, still might not be great. Also, that inside wall is most likely filled with wiring as well if the control panel is there. That's a project on my 'honey do' list that I've been quietly ignoring (claiming CRS) for as long as we have owned our current 5er but have at least done my basic 'research.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
Bingo 57

While on this topic, what is the best way to mount these grab handles ? I have to mount but have been putting it off due to concerns of drilling into the fiberglass. Any suggestions ??
Bingo
Bingo 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:59 AM   #6
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo 57 View Post
While on this topic, what is the best way to mount these grab handles ? I have to mount but have been putting it off due to concerns of drilling into the fiberglass. Any suggestions ??
Bingo
Kind of a pain but you could look at other RVs of the same model you have and see if they have any and get some measurements to mount yours. Some people have had good luck with stud finders also for attaching things to the wall.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:54 AM   #7
Dave W

These grab bars are generally mounted right along side of the door, latch side. You can either peek in the strike plate opening or remove it for a better look. Looking in there, you will see either a wood or aluminum 'stud' for the walls. That 'stud' should be 1-1/2" wide. You can measure the distance to the edge of that 'stud' from the latch opening. Using masking tape, a tape measure and a level or straight edge, you can figure and draw some lines as to where the stud will be then drill and attach that grab bar. Guaranteed way, no, but the way I would do this little project
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
Wanting to find grab handles for inside fifth wheel stairs
I think the lack of grab handles in the inside stairs is the number 1 complaint of 5'th wheel owners. Some have none some have a small one but I have never seen a good one. Down here in Florida there are many units for sale that were owned by retirees, you see many attempts at adding hand rails. Went through a Cedar Creek the other day that constructed one out of galvanized pipe and attached to the floor. My Laredo has a small one but it could of been extended and attached to 3 studs instead of two. I think I might sketch one out and go to the woodworking shop and make one.

It is possible to locate the center of existing studs using a good stud finder. Drilling a pilot hole to prevent splitting, and using a #10 wood screw with a 1" to 1 1/4" penetration into the stud will give respectable holding power.

From a engineering standpoint the components used to construct these things are not strong but as a finished assembly they are fairly rugged.
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel