Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #1
c_l_phillips72

JAYCO vs Keystone

So I found a Keystone Bullet 290BHS at a dealership about 200 miles from me, but my local dealer has told me that they won’t do any warranty work on it since they don’t sell the Bullet lineup of Keystone. They sell other Keystone lineups, just not the Bullet.

Not being able to get service from my local dealer has me concerned, and I’m kind of pissed at them and now don’t want to do ANY business with them, so I’m looking at a 2nd local dealer who mainly sells Jayco.

So I’d like to ask here, would you or would you not buy a Jayco? One thing I like about Jayco is their warranty is 2 years, and only 1 on the Keystone.

I don’t have a specific Jayco model in mind, but it would need to be something similar in weight, size, and floor plan to the 290BHS.

Every salesman I’ve spoken to tells me their brand is #1, including the Jayco salesman. Obviously there can only be 1 #1, so most of these sales people are lying to me. It actually seems worse than buying a car, honestly, and I used to sell cars and knew the dirty tricks.

Anyway, just looking for some feedback. Online, I’ve read tons of HORRIBLE reviews on every brand I’ve looked at, so it kind of seems like EVERY camper brand blows.

I’d really love an Airstream, but I don’t have $150k for a camper.
c_l_phillips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

JAYCO vs Keystone

What you have to understand is there isn’t any money in warranty work. The factory determines labor rate and time allowed for repairs. In a majority of cases it isn’t enough and getting harder by the day to collect. You have to ask yourself, why should a dealer lose money on warranty work when they didn’t make any money on the sale.

That said, and having worked at a Jayco dealer, I personally cannot recommend the “jay flight” line. I only seen 2 bullets in for service and I thought they were better built, JMHO and YMMV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Chris...you are posting a zillion questions over several threads asking ….I don't know what.

You are searching...for something....in an RV....with "something" as a TV.

I feel for your situation with the recent divorce. I TRULY want to help you but don't know that I , or anyone on the forum, can. With every post the target changes, the parameters change...

There is so much info on the internet that the majority of your questions can be answered with your own research.

Jayco vs Keystone? That is a subjective question. I've looked at lots of both but that can't tell you what you like. Complaints about RV brands? It's never ending on ALL brands. In the price line of trailers you are looking at there is no "gold" brand and in fact involves all brands and types of RVs.

Airstream??? You're worried about having "space" in the RV, why in the world would you even think of an Airstream? A shiny, silver, cramped tunnel?? To each their own.

And no, this is not a "hate filled" post. Just observations based on your questions.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:04 PM   #4
travelin texans

To be honest, a rv is a rv, there won't be a nickels worth of difference between any brand any model any floor plan any price, they will all have issues with one thing or another. You need to find what you like at the price you want to pay & go for it. The warranty on most is 1 year, unless you're fulltiming that may be only a few months of use, after that it doesn't matter who you take it to for repairs or do them yourself, which is what most of us do/have done even with the warranty.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:20 AM   #5
Tbos

One of the reasons I’ve not liked many of the stick and tin Jaycos is the way the Bed isn’t sealed off from the pass through storage. You look in the storage and you can see your blanket hanging down. Some people may like that extra access but I see it as a source for drafts.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone