Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

Window Film?

There is a product called Gila Titanium Heat Control Window Film out there that is used to control temps in windows. I have seen on other forums that some folks have used this stuff and have had good result in lowering cabin temps in hot and unshaded environments. Anyone here use it? Did you use the adhesive type or the static clean type? Looks like it is a fairly low-skill do it yourself type project.

https://www.gilafilms.com/for-home/g...um-window-film
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
cpaulsen

Used it in my last 5th wheel......worked great!! Spray bottle and a plastic tool to squeeze the water out...........very easy to do. hardest cutting the film to the right size.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Watching their install video, it is cut an inch larger then the window then trimmed while in the window frame. I have a little concern about the round corners. Did you put the stuff with adhesive on static cling?
Old 07-29-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
fjr vfr

I used the stuff on a couple windows in our Florida room a few years ago. It works well, but be warned have a lot of towels handy because you squeeze out a lot of water. When you trim it there should be about a 1/16" gap all around so it doesn't abut the window frame.

BTW, I know nothing about adhesive window film.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
fjr vfr

BTW, they have this stuff at Home Depot and Lowes. The store department associates can give you more personal instruction about applying it. And I assume you don't have tinted window already? I wouldn't apply it on tinted windows, it'll get pretty dark in there...lol
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

I did my last two trailers with the bronze mirror tint. I don't recommend the smoke color because it makes things look dark and gloomy. You also get privacy, as long as there are no lights on inside, you cannot see in.
If you follow directions the adhesive type is fairly easy. Using a sharp razor blade and plenty of water and using the curved frame as a guide you may surprise yourself with the professional job you can do. Once installed do not use window cleaner with ammonia on the film as per instructions.
It does reduce the heat considerably.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:22 AM   #7
rdhouston

Add a few drops of liquid soap to your water. Helps things slide around.

Fresh razor blades are a must. If you get the kind that snap off, you can easily get a fresh edge while in process.

Clean the window prior to install and scrape it with a razor while wet to get off any invisible bits that are stuck to the glass. This will minimize bubbles caused by trapped stuff.

We have dark windows so no need but I've tinted lots of cars over the years.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
travelin texans

Wife has installed (static cling, soapy water method) it every rv we've had in last 10-15 years & has helped cut the heat tremendously.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
Dave W

Interested if it works better or at least as well as the Reflectix that I'm using on the back windows that face the sun at our summer site. We are parked with the rear facing Lake Champlain but of course can't see much of it for the Reflectix (plus some @#$% trees).
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

I didn't know there were so many options when I started looking into this stuff. There are also EZ Snap Shades that look like they take no brains to install but are a tad pricey. I am also pricing mobile window tint; have requests for a quote into 3 shops. I may do the Gila stuff due to cost but doing something that takes coordination is kind of scary!
Old 07-30-2018, 02:31 PM   #11
travelin texans

The cling window tint may not work as well as the reflexe, but you can see out. There's no way on this green earth would my DW let me cover the windows so she wasn't able to see out & I don't blame her.
On our last 5er we had custom screens made that snapped on outside, similar to the snap shades only cheaper & they worked great. A couple came to us in a van, he opened the back & unfolded a table with a commercial sewing machine, he climbed the ladder & shouted down measurements, she cut & hemmed each piece, he moved the ladder to the next, & by the time he had them all measured she had several sewn & he started installing & in about an hour & a half all were up. The advantage is you can see out & not in.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

I haven't seen any alternatives to EZ Snap yet except one that the fasteners fell off for most of the customers. I will keep looking for alternatives at it appears EZ Snap shades will be between $250 and $350; the lower number if I don't get the bedroom windows covered and possibly a couple of the north-south facing little slide windows. I am not sure how far the fasteners stick out and that concerns me. The main heat producers are the big rear, two big windows on the slide and the big window next to the door.

Put a pic of the small window in slide that may have interference when retracting the slide with the connectors stuck on the slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide_n_kitchen_24x26_3ea.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	17755  
Old 02-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #13
ajk170

WiredG- I know this is an old thread, but did you ever do the Gila idea or something else? I'm looking at the Gila Light Gray rather than the platinum - the reviews on the light Gray seem to be better on Amazon than the platinum but I'm hoping you have some first-hand feed back if you did it.

Thanks - Andy
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:48 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

I bought a roll of window tint off eBay. It was 20 percent tint and that means 80 percent of the heat generated light doesn't get through. We don't mind the cabin being a bit dark. We bought a 48" wide 50' roll and that was probably enough to do the trailer at least one more time over. A razor knife and a small squeegee are all that is needed. Just cut the film to slightly overlap your window. Activate the clinging adhesive with some soapy water (I think that was it... can't recall but we looked at youtube for direction). Put the cut piece on the window then trim with the razor knife. Took most of an afternoon to do the whole trailer.

This is what we bought: WINDOW TINT FILM ROLL CHARCOAL BK 5% 20% 35% 50% 48" x 50FT Intersolar

I disliked the idea of taping up window shades or the like and then having to untape as some do to solve the heat problem. The only places not protected from the hot sun are the bathroom sky light, the vents and the front door and I will likely take that on this summer. We hardly use the vents except for the bath and I installed a tinted glass skylight over the tub but a lot of heat comes in anyway.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:28 AM   #15
ajk170

Thanks WG! I appreciate you describing your technique and how much time it took to do this! I'm wondering if we would see more gains if we did a UV film on the interior that doesn't darken and couple that idea with some sort of outside screen if the thermal reduction would even greater while not distorting or darkening the coach too much?
Old 02-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

Only one way to find out. I don't personally care for the idea of having to snap a bunch of covers on the outside; most would require the ladder but I guess there is only one way to find out what will work for you... If I put the things on the outside, I doubt I would bother with UV film on the inside but I am not an expert.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #17
ajk170

WG- That's a good point - It maybe overkill to do both a film and a exterior screen! Thanks!