Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 10:01 PM   #201
CWtheMan

What’s he trying to tell us about tires?

How it’s supposed to work.

Sure, there are those that set their own standards and are successful with them. You’ll read posts about all sorts of options others use. It’ll be mostly anecdotal in nature.

There isn’t much oversight on how you maintain the tires on anything you use them on, unless, you live in a state with an active vehicle inspection program.

Those of you that often read my posts probably already know I’m a real stickler for regulations and standards. That’s probably coming from my more than 10 years of having the authority to give a pilot a maintenance briefing about the aircraft he/she is going to launch in, from the flight deck of some aircraft carrier. My bottom line – with my signature – to them was, “THIS AIRCRAFT IS SAFE FOR FLIGHT. The aircraft I most often did that with was the F4 Phantom II – The F14 Tomcat – The A7 Corsair - The F/A18 Hornet.

This will be my last post in this thread. It’s going to be more explanatory. Over the years of posting about RV trailer tires I’ve stayed abreast, as best I could, with the changing regulations, standards and trailer manufacturer preferences. They intermingle, a lot, and that makes it confusing to those that have never paid much attention to tire maintenance.

How and why, are the questions most often asked? Where and when questions are close behind.

In the regulations, brands are not going to be mentioned. Tire designated sizes are standardized; brand “A” is statistically equal to brand “B”, on paper. Generally industry standards follow suit. It’s when you read brochures when brands are normally mentioned or when a brand and designated size and model are unique (one of a kind). Right now that distinction falls on the GY ST255/85R16.

OK, here we go. From the top. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. “These Federal safety standards are regulations written in terms of minimum safety performance requirements for motor vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment. These requirements are specified in such a manner "that the public is protected against unreasonable risk of crashes occurring as a result of the design, construction, or performance of motor vehicles and is also protected against unreasonable risk of death or injury in the event crashes do occur." Here is a manufacturers guide document; https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...e-hs811439.pdf

It’s important to always keep in mind that everything in FMVSS is strictly for dissemination and application by vehicle manufacturers. Many readers will pull - out of context - information from individual FMVSS numbers and use them in statements that are only partially correct. That’s often because, like almost all working documents such as FMVSS, the end result will contain links from other sections of the document. For instance, the FMVSS says the minimum tire requirement is for the tires to provide a load capacity equal to the vehicle’s certified GAWR. However, it doesn’t end there. Later in the document, the vehicle manufacturer is directed to use their judgment by determining what they consider an appropriate fitment is for that particular vehicle. It further directs them to then set a recommended cold inflation pressure for those tires that is also appropriate for that vehicle. It goes a step further and requires the vehicle manufacturer to certify that particular fitment for that particular vehicle and put that information on the vehicle federal certification label, in the vehicle owner’s manual and on any affixed tire/load placard. And finally it requires those tire size designations fitted during the build stage to be the same designated size depicted on the vehicle certification label at the time of first sale. Continuing on in this line of information, let’s not forget that those Original Equipment (OE) tires get registered. The listing of their serial numbers is required to be kept on file for five years. (Off topic; owners do a lot of complaining about tire failures but do little to help keep track of such failures. Every time you change tires, register the new ones.).

Just about all of the information I compile and add to my files about tire industry standards come from industry documents that are available on the WWW. Some tire manufacturers are more explanatory than others. Those that do not build Special Trailer (ST) tires will use broad terms that may not be specific enough to give a complete picture for proper tire management. Usually it’s with tire inflation. When I find them disagreeing I go to the US Tire Manufacturers Association USTMA (formally the Rubber Manufacturers Association) for their more defined answers.

The USTMA routinely publishes bulletins. Here are some that are often debated.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...B_44_USTMA.pdf
https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...B_23_USTMA.pdf
https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...B_21_USTMA.pdf

Some tire manufacturers have really good documents. Toyo is one of them.
https://www.toyotires.com/media/1489/tiresafety.pdf
https://www.toyotires.com/customer-c...vice-bulletins

All tires have the same building processes. Here is a basic chart from Maxxis.

https://www.maxxis.com/technology/how-a-tire-is-made

Remember this; I bring it up in many of my posts. The vehicle manufacturer has the sole responsibility for OE tire selections. For RV trailers they can choose whatever design they deem appropriate. That selection is for that vehicle as it’s certified. Just because you have an older or newer, nearly identical model, with tires of a different basic design (size designation) does not give license to us either on your vehicle.

The vehicle manufacturer can use any highway tire with a DOT logo on it for an appropriate fitment on your trailer. Passenger, Light Truck, Special Trailer or other designated sizes, normally from the low platform of commercial tire markets.

The industry standards for replacement tires are identical for the automotive & RV Trailer industries. However, with years of corporation and collaboration with each other, the tire and automotive industries have developed listings of preapproved replacements for just about all common automotive fitments. Even down to replacing “P” with “LT” or vice versa. Those seeking replacements for their OE RV trailer tire s do not have that luxury. The standard industry and owner manual one liner for RV trailer tire replacements is; seek approval from the vehicle manufacturer. Throughout the industry the replacement tires are required to be of the same designated size as the OE tires or others recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Never use replacement tires having less load capacity than the OE tires provided.

Like I said earlier, I’m bailing out of this thread with this post. I’ll also be throttling back on my responses to other tire related threads. I don’t use previously written (“canned”) responses and I’m just getting tired of writing the same things over and over again.

I’m also just getting tired of saying right up front “this is the way it’s supposed to be done” and getting responses with “this is the way I do it” and that way is on the other side of the ropes.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:22 PM   #202
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Like I said earlier, I’m bailing out of this thread with this post. I’ll also be throttling back on my responses to other tire related threads. I don’t use previously written (“canned”) responses and I’m just getting tired of writing the same things over and over again.

I’m also just getting tired of saying right up front “this is the way it’s supposed to be done” and getting responses with “this is the way I do it” and that way is on the other side of the ropes.
I enjoy reading your posts. I hope that you continue to enlighten the RV community with your knowledge base on tire fitments and such.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

Old 12-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #203
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I enjoy reading your posts. I hope that you continue to enlighten the RV community with your knowledge base on tire fitments and such.

CW, I want to chime in with Chris. I enjoy your posts. They are informative and helpful. I think we have so many new folks that would benefit from your knowledge. I do however understand writing the same thing again and again can get tiresome. Further, as of late we have had some that want to nitpick everything said about how we are supposed to do things tire related because they don't and want to argue their point which also get tedious. Just remember that the vast majority of the folks on this forum enjoy, appreciate and learn from your posts. And, I will again say that I think it is very important for new owners to get the "real scoop". Do what you feel fits but know your time and effort writing your posts isn't wasted.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:14 PM   #204
CWtheMan

ST Tire Speed Letters

The following paragraph is a standard/accepted tire industry quite, for the condition in the quote.

“Speed ratings are the product of laboratory testing – with simulated speeds and loads. To receive any kind of rating, a tire must demonstrate that it’s capable of sustaining a particular speed. Industry standards govern the process of reaching and maintaining a given speed during a test.”

That one is from Bridgestone.

The following reference contains, in part, the reason why we now have speed letters on our ST tires.

https://enforcement.trade.gov/frn/su...17-13287-1.pdf

The DOT symbol on the tire sidewall represents an affirmation by its manufacturer that it was tested for whatever speed letter is on the tire sidewall, if any is there. Testing is almost always done by an approved third party. Not ever tire is tested, just whatever is considered sufficient for the speed rating for that Designated Tire Size.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #205
Tireman9

Quote:
The following paragraph is a standard/accepted tire industry quite, for the condition in the quote.

“Speed ratings are the product of laboratory testing – with simulated speeds and loads. To receive any kind of rating, a tire must demonstrate that it’s capable of sustaining a particular speed. Industry standards govern the process of reaching and maintaining a given speed during a test.”

That one is from Bridgestone.

The following reference contains, in part, the reason why we now have speed letters on our ST tires.

https://enforcement.trade.gov/frn/su...17-13287-1.pdf

The DOT symbol on the tire sidewall represents an affirmation by its manufacturer that it was tested for whatever speed letter is on the tire sidewall, if any is there. Testing is almost always done by an approved third party. Not ever tire is tested, just whatever is considered sufficient for the speed rating for that Designated Tire Size.

OK. Now all we need to do is find a tire company that makes ST type tires that will put something in writing that there is no time limit on the number of hours their tires can be run continuously at the max rated load & speed.

Looking forward to seeing those links.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:07 AM   #206
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
OK. Now all we need to do is find a tire company that makes ST type tires that will put something in writing that there is no time limit on the number of hours their tires can be run continuously at the max rated load & speed.

Looking forward to seeing those links.

You're not going to see a link. Not required any more than the specs for the tire cords physical size described on a tire sidewall.

I quoted from a Bridgestone link. Search other manufactures and you'll find the same information written almost word for word.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #207
Tireman9

Quote:
You're not going to see a link. Not required any more than the specs for the tire cords physical size described on a tire sidewall.

I quoted from a Bridgestone link. Search other manufactures and you'll find the same information written almost word for word.

Bridgestone not Michelin make ST tires. Does that tell you something about their opinion of the ST standards as pushed by Goodyear?

Is it your position that ST tires, when properly loaded and inflated should be able to run tens of thousands at highway speed limits till they wear out? If so you should open a store and you would be the most popular tire store in the country for ST tire sales.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #208
Snoking

Quote:
Bridgestone not Michelin make ST tires. Does that tell you something about their opinion of the ST standards as pushed by Goodyear?

Is it your position that ST tires, when properly loaded and inflated should be able to run tens of thousands at highway speed limits till they wear out? If so you should open a store and you would be the most popular tire store in the country for ST tire sales.
That goes back to what I have often said "the origin of ST tires was local service on utility type trailers" and they found their way to Americas freeways on large RV trailers.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:40 PM   #209
CWtheMan

Speed ratings, tire testing, what’s the point in pondering them?

The DOT symbol on the tire represents approval. Factual physical findings that would lead to tire failures caused by ineffective testing would surely lead to NHTSA recalls.

A quote from 49 CFR 574.5 Tire identification requirements.

“The DOT symbol constitutes a certification that the marked tire conforms to an applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.”
Old 02-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #210
CWtheMan

If the tire testing procedures for Passenger tires differs from the procedures used for testing Light Truck tires but is acceptable because they have different features to perform, than why question the testing procedures for Special Trailer tires? The are just followers.

If the end result of a test is a pass, than what's the beef?
Old 02-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #211
Tireman9

Quote:
If the tire testing procedures for Passenger tires differs from the procedures used for testing Light Truck tires but is acceptable because they have different features to perform, than why question the testing procedures for Special Trailer tires? The are just followers.

If the end result of a test is a pass, than what's the beef?

The "beef" is that the load formula used by US Tire & Rim Association is based on a stated 65 mph operating speed. For someone so enamored with published regulations I don't understand the confusion.
The reason ST tires carry 10 to 20% more load than LT tires of the same dimension at the same inflation is simply because of the stated speed restriction. Otherwise, there is no rational reason for two otherwise identical tires to have different load capacities.

If the difference was based on the tire construction then I would expect to see diferent loads for Polyester tires vs Steel body tires, but those differences simply do not exist.

Anyone can read and blindly follow a regulation but it takes an actual working knowledge of the product to understand the reasoning behind the regulation, to understand the new Science i.e. "Interply Shear" and the tools needed to evaluate the effects (Finite Element Analysis) and point out the problems with simply blindly following the decades old regs.
I bet that today's modern aircraft would not be allowed and maybe not even able to fly if they had to operate under 50-year-old "regulations".

Old 02-27-2019, 08:00 PM   #212
CWtheMan

Quote:
The "beef" is that the load formula used by US Tire & Rim Association is based on a stated 65 mph operating speed. For someone so enamored with published regulations I don't understand the confusion.
The reason ST tires carry 10 to 20% more load than LT tires of the same dimension at the same inflation is simply because of the stated speed restriction. Otherwise, there is no rational reason for two otherwise identical tires to have different load capacities.

If the difference was based on the tire construction then I would expect to see diferent loads for Polyester tires vs Steel body tires, but those differences simply do not exist.

Anyone can read and blindly follow a regulation but it takes an actual working knowledge of the product to understand the reasoning behind the regulation, to understand the new Science i.e. "Interply Shear" and the tools needed to evaluate the effects (Finite Element Analysis) and point out the problems with simply blindly following the decades old regs.
I bet that today's modern aircraft would not be allowed and maybe not even able to fly if they had to operate under 50-year-old "regulations".

So what? It's the approved method. Good luck with taking it to the next rules committee meeting and getting it on the docket.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #213
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

All of this is way beyond the benefit of the forum members and has basically turned into a pi$$ing match between CW and Tireman. I'd like to suggest that if you want to play one upmanship with each other, a better place to do it would be through PMing each other. This is dragging on with no end in sight.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 02-27-2019, 09:36 PM   #214
hankpage
Site Team

Since the original post was a statement and not a question I see no reason to continue this thread beyond 213 posts. Everyone has had ample opportunity to give THEIR opinion and interpretation of the subject so I am closing this thread before it gets TOTALLY out of hand. Travel safely, Hank
Closed Thread

Tags
tires