Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
Renna2

Strong chemical like odor in 2007 Keystone Passport

Has anyone who has owned a 2007 Keystone Passport had an issue with a very strong almost sweet smelling chemical like odor?

Everything that has been in that trailer smells of the odor including our hair and clothes if we have been in there long enough. Bedding, utensils .. you name it. Even the storage compartments on the outside of the trailer smell of it.

It does not burn our eyes ... But the smell is definitely a bother for me.

If you have, what is it and what can I do to get rid of it? I have aired it out for 2 days and it has not made a difference.

The trailer was winterized already when we bought it 2 weeks ago and yes the smell was there when we bought it. I chalked it up to maybe being the antifreeze making the unit smell?

Tips? Advice? Much appreciated!
Renna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Maybe some deodorizing or cleaning agent?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

My guess would be a cleaning agent or a deodorizing/freshening agent that the previous owner or dealer used to mask the "stale air" common in most campers that have been closed up for a while. If it's winterized and you're not going to use it, you might want to wait until spring to air it out. If you're in an area where there are some "dry fall days" you could get a jump start on it.

You may find that the only way to get rid of all the smell is to take all the cushions and mattresses out, let them air in the sun and do a thorough cleaning of what's left inside the trailer. You'll probably want to do that in the spring anyway, so doing it now may be "double work"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

If you don't have vent covers, install them and leave vents open while in storage. You can never have too much air flow through a stored trailer. (Except in extremely damp climates)
Do not travel with vent open as it may pull in dust and exhaust fumes.
Sweet smell may be antifreeze from traps or toilet ... or someone spilled it when winterizing. If so it will go away in time. Good luck, travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

We had a couple "max air" vents over our RV vents and during an especially hard rain, rain got through the "max air" vent and our bed was wetted. I don't trust them.

As far as the "sweet" smell, there are few things on this ol' earth that smell sweet so it is likely some stinko the previous owner used to mask other smells. I suggest you buy a big dog, let him run around out in the rain, and then let him come in and roll around inside the camp. The wet dog smell will just about get rid of any other olfactory pleasure!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
Renna2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My guess would be a cleaning agent or a deodorizing/freshening agent that the previous owner or dealer used to mask the "stale air" common in most campers that have been closed up for a while. If it's winterized and you're not going to use it, you might want to wait until spring to air it out. If you're in an area where there are some "dry fall days" you could get a jump start on it.

You may find that the only way to get rid of all the smell is to take all the cushions and mattresses out, let them air in the sun and do a thorough cleaning of what's left inside the trailer. You'll probably want to do that in the spring anyway, so doing it now may be "double work"...
Thanks! Ya I'll have to wait until spring...we just got some snow here so any attempt to "spring clean" will definitely be double work! Good tip with airing out the foams and cushions in the sun ... I forgot about that litte trick
Old 10-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
Renna2

We have a hound dog that would be perfect for that haha thanks for the tips!
Old 10-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #8
Renna2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
If you don't have vent covers, install them and leave vents open while in storage. You can never have too much air flow through a stored trailer. (Except in extremely damp climates)
Do not travel with vent open as it may pull in dust and exhaust fumes.
Sweet smell may be antifreeze from traps or toilet ... or someone spilled it when winterizing. If so it will go away in time. Good luck, travel safely, Hank
Thanks Hank! I compared the smell between the RV antifreeze jug the previous owners gave us to what I'm smelling in the trailer and they definitely smell similar. I just don't know if it's "normal" to be able to smell the antifreeze throughout the entire trailer and have the cushions and bedding smell like it too. I have a very sensitive nose though and certain smells really bother me haha

In the spring I'll give it a really good deep clean and air everything out in the sun .. thanks for the tips!
Old 10-09-2018, 04:58 AM   #9
{tpc}

Could it be the outgassing of whatever materials were used to construct the trailer?
Old 10-09-2018, 05:57 AM   #10
Pull Toy

The winterizing fluid we use is oderless. Make sure they didn’t use glycol.

If your “pink stuff” is scented, you may be smelling the liquid poured into the toilet bowl or sink traps.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #11
Renna2

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Could it be the outgassing of whatever materials were used to construct the trailer?
Possibly? It is a 2007 so, older. Could there still be outgassing in an older trailer?
Old 10-09-2018, 07:59 AM   #12
Renna2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
The winterizing fluid we use is oderless. Make sure they didn’t use glycol.

If your “pink stuff” is scented, you may be smelling the liquid poured into the toilet bowl or sink traps.

Good Luck,
I have a funny feeling that is what it is. Our pink stuff does have a scent. Not sure if it's Glycol but I can check. Maybe it's a mix between that antifreeze and some other kind of deodorizing agent the previous owners used. 🤢
Old 10-11-2018, 03:52 AM   #13
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Can you verify that RV antifreeze was used? That is important.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #14
Catfish Flanagan

We had a 2011 travel trailer with the same smell. The smell would not go away no matter what we did...vent, cleaning, flush the water system. Traded it in on a 2016 Laredo. Smell gone.
Catfish Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #15
kirkwilliams2049

Weed in the passport

Ours is a 2018 PP. All summer long it smelled like weed and was primarily coming from under the kitchen sink. It is now in for warranty work. The tech told me this problem is common problem and said it had something to do with the way the fridge vent and sink vent were configured. I pick it up in a week or so. I will let you know if the fix worked.
kirkwilliams2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:52 AM   #16
Mainer

Like to know the issue with glycol for winterizing. We have given up on the alcohol blends, we have found it almost impossible to remove the taste used to denature it. Flushed and flushed but let it set for a week and the taste returns. The glycol doesn't need denaturing and the stuff we used this year doesn't have a taste. Hope to be done with bad water next year.
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, passport