Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #1
zuley

Backing up a 5th wheel

Considering trading in the 25 foot Passport for a 32 foot 5th wheel and a new Cummings puller. For those of you who have made the move please give me some insight in regards to pulling a 5th wheel and getting it into the camp site in comparrison to a bumper pull.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:14 AM   #2
Snoking

The first thing to learn is that a 5th wheel reacts much slower when backing. So pull forward 1.5 times forward then you think you need to before starting to back into a site. Chris
Old 09-19-2018, 06:25 AM   #3
66joej

Don't have a 5er now but had 3 over the years and found they are much easier to back up than a bumper pull TT.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:45 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Fifth wheels tow a whole lot better than bumper pulls. More stable, less chance of sway. Once you practice backing a couple of times, I found it easier to back than a bumper pull.

Think about your TV purchase BEFORE you buy the trailer. Get more truck than you need because once you see how nice it is you’ll want bigger. BTDT. Wheel base of truck will have some effect on chucking/bounce and short vs standard/long bed will dictate the need for sliding hitch.

IMO DRW is the only way to go when your towing a fifth wheel. So nice to have 6 Toes on the ground in windy conditions and if you get a flat on the rear axle, been there done both.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:54 AM   #5
Thomasbeau

I have been pulling a 5th wheel since 2005 and absolutely love it. Before the 5th wheel we had a TT and a couple pop-ups. The shorter the unit the faster the turn. Our new 33ft Hideout is the easiest I have ever backed up. Once you figure out where to start your turns it's a breeze.
2015 F350 SD Lariat Platinum Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel
Thomasbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:35 AM   #6
roadglide

Look at the tires and place them close to that area pull forward as many times as you like getting the rigwhere you want it to be , go slow and turn the wheel slow try not to over correct do a walk around and have a good ground guide . Most parks don't don't have the room to pull stright and back , it's all the same as I mentioned above take your time . I have found that if I pull in I can back out I don't like that .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:02 AM   #7
Howie

Zuley, I traded our 28' trailer for a 34' 5er this year and have found it to be no more difficult to manage than the trailer, it just takes a little practice to figure out the minor difference as to how it reacts and you will find it tows a lot better. I went with a short bed diesel as it is a little easier to wheel it around than the long bed. I had a long bed I had pulled the trailer with and have found the SB to be just fine. There is no need for a dualie unless you really want one or you plan on getting a much heavier 5er.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:03 AM   #8
travelin texans

As mentioned pull forward farther than you think you need, they do react a bit slower. Also try to always back in from the drivers side, much easier to see. And as close to the curb on the drivers side, if backing for that side, or you'll run out of road for the truck as it swings around.
Take your time, go slow & have a good spotter, which means get some hand signals that both of you understand, some times I think my spotter is back there swatting at flies, no clue what she wants me to do.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

My secret is to ROLL THE WINDOWS down and have my wife scream at me before I run over anything backing up. She also makes strange arm waving signals that I have not yet been able to interpret but DO roll the windows down if someone is spotting you behind the trailer...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #10
Thomasbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
My secret is to ROLL THE WINDOWS down and have my wife scream at me before I run over anything backing up. She also makes strange arm waving signals that I have not yet been able to interpret but DO roll the windows down if someone is spotting you behind the trailer...
My wife and I used this same method but a cheap set of walkie talkies has brought peace to our marriage, lol.
2015 F350 SD Lariat Platinum Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel
Thomasbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #11
Snoking

Cell phone for DW and hands free it TV works well. Getting out and looking when in doubt. Chris
Old 09-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Cell phone for DW and hands free it TV works well. Getting out and looking when in doubt. Chris

^^^Same for us. Phone on hands free so I can hear what she is saying and just figure the flailing of the arms sending unintelligible messages is just for amusement
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #13
AbHDToyHauler

We bought our first fifth wheel last year and it's a 38 footer. They back up great but you will have to practice a bit in a large parking lot to get a feel for it. As stated they turn slower but with my slider I can do a 90 deg turn with a standard bed truck and no hitting or issues. Also as stated I like to turn to drivers side so I can see what's going during turn. We also bought the low cost walkie talkies from Costco so now we can yell at each other from farther away. Hhahahaha (Dw hates when I say that to people). Also watch for tail swing when moving.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #14
K_N_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post

What he said ^^ - Backup camera's can help with alignment and let you know whats directly behind the trailer.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #15
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^Same for us. Phone on hands free so I can hear what she is saying and just figure the flailing of the arms sending unintelligible messages is just for amusement
TRUE where going to try the hands free cell experance . Will the garage door open to get the bike out , I'll still have to make the walk back and say stop me right here .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #16
Bisjoe

When I come home with the trailer, I have my wife standing there but rarely can hear what she's saying, nor can I see her because she doesn't stand where she can see the mirror. I do have a rear view mirror, and before I start backing I get out and place a 4' plastic bollard where I want the spare tire on the bumper to end up. Between the faint sounds, brief glimpses of arms, and the camera I can usually get it parked safely in a minute or two.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #17
Auggie Waterman

We just traded our 25' TT for a 35' fifth wheel this spring. The difference I have seen is that the FW is much taller and I have to watch out for all these curved trees or ones with branches lower than 13' in most parks. And I definitely agree with those who've said the fiver reacts more slowly, what that means of course is that you have to roll further to get the same amount of turn, which really made it tight for me at the last park we were in.

Also- the fiver definitely "cuts corners" more than a travel trailer, have to get yourself a bit deeper into a turn and turn more sharply at the end of a turn to avoid cars in intersections, etc. But man it rides a lot more nicely, no real sway at all, not even when Speed Racer semi drivers pass me doing 75. Makes a 4 hour drive a lot easier! Good luck and enjoy!

Oh, PS.: Our backing secret is blue tooth in the truck and cellular phones! My wife or son calls me, I take the call, it goes on the stereo speakers and they can hear my asking questions too, it's GREAT. And our code is for them to tell me only two things- 1. If I'm close to hitting something 2. Which way the back of the trailer needs to swing to be straight in the site ("backend needs to go toward driver side or passenger side")
Auggie Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #18
Local150

5er is quite easy,, a TT is alot quicker, but you will get it and you'll love the way it tows.
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #19
Local150

I thought the wives were swatting mosquitoes,, hmmm learn something new everyday
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #20
boxcar

Same experience as others - 25' travel trailer to 33' 5er. I find the 5er easier to back up with my long bed F350.

But it doesn't track the truck like the TT as exemplified during a turn at the gas pumps - now I know why those fat inverted-U pipes that are sunk into the cement are there. To rearrange my steps. And that was driving forward.

I'd be happy if my DW would flail her arms instead of calmly sitting in the passenger seat while I run the 5er steps into a stump. If she's out of the truck I can't tell where she is unless she wanders into view of the backup camera.

Fortunately, the second run of the steps into a solid object straightened them back out

Here's the shirt my wife recently bought for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shirt.png
Views:	196
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	18595  
B&W Turnover Ball & Companion Hitch
Torklift Stableload Rear Suspension & Revolution Steps
Handi Lift Elevator (not yet installed)
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel