Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2018, 08:13 AM   #21
CWtheMan

Here is a little insight at what your auto insurance co. may do.

When our trailer was about 1 year old we were leaving our 1st ever 3 month winter-over at St. Petersburg, FL. The park had 3 enter/exit gates and we chose the one onto the highway we wanted to use on our exit from FL. Making a tight turn just before exit, the top of out trailer hit a large limb on an overhanging tree. We stopped to see how extensive the damage was. There was a 6’ gash thru the roof on the RH side. Two residents came out to look at our damage and told us we weren’t the first to have excessive damage from that tree.

We went to a large RV dealer location in Tampa where we had purchased the trailer and got estimates for repairing the damage, ($8000.00) and called our auto insurance co. By the time the insurance adjuster got to the RV park they had removed the tree limb. The adjuster talked to the same residents we had talked with and got a photo from one of them showing the tree before the limb was removed.

Our insurance paid 100% of the repair cost. Rumor had it that the RV park may have settled with the insurance co. but officially, everyone was mum on that subject.

The gist; Always expect some sort of investigation.

Phenomenal services from the repair facility at Lazydays RV, Seffner, FL. Our repair bay was completely covered and had full service. We had to leave during working hours but were allowed to spend the nights there. Because we had purchased our RV there we had free breakfast and lunch service from their cafeteria.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:08 PM   #22
KSH

Any pics of the damage on the trailer?
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:41 AM   #23
NHcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcamper View Post
Hi all,

I didn’t really expect to get any positive response from the tire manuf. But wanted to see what they would say.

I have a 2015 Keystone Laredo 322Rl Travel Trailer. The tire involved did not just blow, the tread shredded and caused over $11,000 damage to the TT. See attached photos.
Less than 6k miles on tires, always inflated correctly and covered when not in use. TPS on all tires for pressure and temp. Less than 3 years on tires from date I bought the TT. The tires are even under a 5 year manuf. Warranty.

Just information for others to be aware of. The tire manuf. Will NOT stand behind the crap tires the produce or their warranty. Maybe the camper Manuf. Should evaluate the tires they put on their equipt. These are life threatening situations.
Tire information: Trailer King ST Radial 225/75 R 15. Tread left on tire ¼ inch or 8/32. DOT information JEJK DBL 3314.
Response from Tire Manuf. Broker:

Sorry for our delated response.
As for the captioned claim, we have got a feedback from our client just now, that the tire manufacture will not pay any indemnity for the loss caused by blow tire.
The rubber function of tire will usually degrade after using three or four years, and the involved tire have overdue its service time. So the factory will not compensate any loss for this tire blow accident.
Your understanding will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,
Just wanted to update all. The tire Manuf. just sent me an e-mail agreeing to reimburse me for the total cost of the affected tires :-). It pays to hold their feet to the fire and make them understand their liability and the actions that will be taken if they do not honor their warranty. :-).
NHcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcamper View Post
Just wanted to update all. The tire Manuf. just sent me an e-mail agreeing to reimburse me for the total cost of the affected tires :-). It pays to hold their feet to the fire and make them understand their liability and the actions that will be taken if they do not honor their warranty. :-).
To be clear, are you saying that Trailer King is paying for the replacement of 4 tires or is Trailer King paying for the tires and your insurance deductible or is Trailer King paying for the tires and the $11,000 to repair damage to your RV?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #25
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
George, "It will be interesting to see if the insurance company will spring for the damages. " Any reason why the insurance company wouldn't cover the damage?
I have GEICO. I called them to ask about just this sort of problem and their answer was NO, they will not pay if the tire just blows up, they see that as poor user maintenance. They did say however if I ran over something and the tire blew they would cover it under comprehensive.

I imagine that if any of my tires blow it will because I hit something.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #26
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
I have GEICO. I called them to ask about just this sort of problem and their answer was NO, they will not pay if the tire just blows up, they see that as poor user maintenance. They did say however if I ran over something and the tire blew they would cover it under comprehensive.

You need a better insurance company and/or agent. Have you talked to your agent?
Old 09-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I have Geico as well. When mine blew I called them and told them I had a blowout and it had caused damage. They worked with the dealer and by the time I got there on the day the adjuster was to be there, he had already gone but left them with a check of right at $7k - no questions of any kind asked of me. Maybe it helped that I also tried to use them for roadside assistance (no one would come) when the "Trailer Aid" ramp doohickey wouldn't raise the trailer far enough (I now carry multiple bottle jacks etc.).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #28
Javi

They won't cover the tire in your case... they will/should cover the damage to the trailer..

As noted... if you had hit something causing the tire to blow, they would buy you a new tire..

Note: I have Geico insurance
Old 09-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #29
notanlines

We have Geico (44 years) and the subject of how the tires blew never came up. They cut a 9000 dollar check on the spot AND paid for two tires. A most excellent company!
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:57 AM   #30
bill-e

I've had GEICO for 40 plus years as well and keep them, though they are more expensive, because they are easy to deal with for a payout. I made this phone call last year and the agent I spoke to was very quick with her answer. She explained how (in their mind) most blowouts happen because the tire is under inflated, old r running at too great a speed and they would not pay for that. Maybe things have changed since last you guys used them for a tire or maybe the agent was incorrect.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

That agent's statement doesn't make sense. If you're speeding and total your trailer, they'd pay, if you parked too close to the campfire and burned down your trailer, they'd pay, if you backed it into a tree, they'd pay. Not paying because "the tire might have been underinflated or you might have been towing too fast" goes against their "policy of payment" in all other situations.

I would check with another source at GEICO. The purpose of insurance is two fold. First to protect the owner's investment, but for those who finance their rig, to protect the bank's investment. Few banks would require insurance if it didn't pay for damages that affect their investment in the trailer...

I've found that every insurance company I've worked with will pay for damages to an RV by a blown tire through the comprehensive section of the policy (assuming you have comprehensive insurance on the rig). To the bank, it wouldn't matter if the trailer was damaged by a collision, a fire, a tree falling on it or a blown tire. If they have a loss of investment, that's why they require insurance paid for by the borrower. GEICO has always been "one of the easiest to work with" when it comes to cutting a check to pay for damages. My guess is that agent gave you some bad information. I'd recheck with someone else to confirm or get the correct answer

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I've had GEICO for 40 plus years as well and keep them, though they are more expensive, because they are easy to deal with for a payout. I made this phone call last year and the agent I spoke to was very quick with her answer. She explained how (in their mind) most blowouts happen because the tire is under inflated, old r running at too great a speed and they would not pay for that. Maybe things have changed since last you guys used them for a tire or maybe the agent was incorrect.
I've never heard of an insurance company refusing a payout for coverage stated in the policy on "maybe" or "should have, could have". They certainly can withhold payment pending an investigation and the time limit on that is typically dependent on the policy holder's state laws of residency.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

I don't think your agent is giving you good info. I you "run over something" I would think it would be the same "running INTO something" and be covered under the collision and not comprehensive. I'm no insurance expert by any means. My mother worked for the State Insurance Commissioner before retirement and my BIL is a certified fraud investigator so my knowledge is ancillary at best but having the two knowledgeable people in the family to explain these things to me have been a great help in helping understand our policies over the years. This has saved our family a tremendous amount of money and grief over the years. I would urge you to contact your states Insurance Commissioner's office (often a division of Labor and Industry) and ask them for clarification.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty