Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
Zoe

New Passport owner!

Just bought a new Passport Elite 19RB and will be picking it up in two weeks. The dealer scheduled us for a three hour orientation, walkthrough, inspection, how-to, ask all your questions appointment (which is FANTASTIC in my opinion). We are not new to RVing, have owned and loved 4 campers in the last 20 years, but we are new to Keystone and the rubber roof etc, and that coupled with the disaster that was our previous camper (an entire year of endless manufacturers defects, poor workmanship and seemingly no quality control in plumbing, electrical, construction and finish issues) we are wanting to be as thorough as possible. ANY advice for this appointment is welcome! Thank you all in advance!
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Surferbill

Find out where all the GFCI resets are located. I still have and exterior receptacle that does not work for the second time.
Surferbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
Retired Copper

Congrads on your new PassPort, we have been one of those that have had very little trouble or should I say no trouble with everything working like it should. Sure I had to tighten a few fittings, tighten a few finder skirt screws. Stuff that one would expect when pulling on roads these days. Your dealer sound like they are on top of things. A good PDI is important, ask them to show you there PDI sheet and print the one off the sticky and carry it with you. Good luck and happy camping.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
Gegrad

Congrats and welcome to the forum!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
mskeyspirate

Congrats on your new purchase. I'm sure that you'll enjoy it. Here's a question that seemed so obvious that I never thought of asking. Tell them to demonstrate how to use that thermostat. What seemed simple, was not the first time we went to use the air.
mskeyspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:24 AM   #6
C.LeeNick

Congratulations on the new Passport!

We purchased our Passport in July, and looked at the model you purchased. Ended up with the 197RB.

Here's a few specific things to check, based upon our experiences so far:

According to Keystone's website, your trailer can come with an enclosed and heated underbelly. If it is supposed to have one, take a look and make sure it's there! We bought our Passport off the lot, and it was supposed to have one according to the paperwork, but I made the mistake of never looking that far underneath. It did not have the enclosed and heated underbelly. And having the dealer install it turned into a nightmare.

Second, check the shelves in the big wardrobe cabinet in the bathroom. The one on the left when you walk through the door. Ours has a similar cabinet and both shelves in it collapsed during our first 3 outings. Keystone did not put proper support under the shelves. They relied on the front edge piece of the shelf to hold up the flimsy shelf material by stapling the shelf material to it, without putting any brackets on the walls under the front edge piece. It was just kind of "hanging there". It seemed fairly sturdy when we looked at it, but it didn't hold up. There needs to be some kind of angle bracket on each front corner, attached to the wall. That is what the dealership did to ours under warranty, and it's held up so far.

The only other funky thing with ours was that the built in wiring to get the sound from the TV to the stereo was all wrong. We couldn't get sound from the TV through the ceiling speakers, but we could get radio sound through the TV speakers. It looks like they put the wiring in based on a different model TV, and the one actually installed didn't have the proper outputs. I was lucky it was a short run, and I was able to fish another wire through the ceiling to make everything work correctly, and added a wire as well, from the radio to the amplified TV/FM antenna jack. Keystone had just plugged a wire antenna into the antenna jack on the radio and left it balled up behind it in the cabinet. The amplified TV antenna is also a fine FM antenna. It made a HUGE difference.

Enjoy!
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:56 AM   #7
Zoe

Thanks! All good advice. We did look and there appears to be a pretty secure underbelly cover. The ‘wardrobe’ in the bathroom has a hanger rod but no shelves. It is a large cabinet and pretty deep so would be ideal for at least one shelf for towels, will ask about that. The dealer has us set up for an extensive inspection/walkthrough/ demo/ask all your questions appointment and I will be taking the PDI checklist downloaded from this forum, a flashlight, screwdrivers and a fine tooth comb with me. Hopefully we won’t find anything amiss!
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:15 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

to the Forum From Western PA

Congrats on your new purchase!! Enjoy !!

Sounds like you are off to a good start with the PDI, ie, having dealer allocate an adequate amount of time for the PDI. Three to Four hours is a reasonable amount of time given you have your list prepared.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:09 PM   #9
Tbos

I’ve owned 2 Passports. Both were great TTs. Make sure you take the time to check each water connection. Sometimes they aren’t as tight as they should be from the factory. Keep a close eye on the seam where the front cap meets the roof. Extra sealant there never hurts.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
Wxman

We have had our 19RB for a year later this week. Going in Tues for a furnace recall and patches on the slide roof/ drip pan for a slide motor gearbox leak. Otherwise, everything has really been pretty nice. Lots of sawdust, one screw just barely poking thru the interior ceiling. The cables between stereo and TV were 'in the wrong holes' at delivery but an easy fix once figured out that was all it was. Otherwise, we have made quite a few mods, improvements, but they were just that and not 'fixes', leaks, or unexpected poor workmanship. Mostly what we expected and we have enjoyed the unit. I hope, and expect, you will as well.

Good luck
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport