Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
n20279

Knoxville to Helen, Ga

How is the best way to get from Knoxville Tn to Helen Ga pulling a 37' 5th wheel. Thanks
n20279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
hankaye

n20279, Howdy;

I've deleted my directions as they will take you too the wrong town.
When I checked my mapbook last night I could only find a 'Helena', Ga.
It didn't list a Helen (no a on the end). My bad ..... Sorry,

Have fun, ......

hankaye

Rates a big headslap and appropreate DOOOOOOOOOOOH !

Have fun, remain calm ......enjoy the experience.....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Outbackmel

Knoxville to Helen

I have been there pulling a 31ft TT and here is my 2 cents: I am in AZ as a snow bird, however, my home base for my rv is Dahlonega, GA, just 20 miles from Helen. (I now have a new 36 ft fifth wheel)
You NEED to visit Dahlonega when you are in the area. It is a beautiful small town, site of first eastern US gold rush and filled with history. The town square is SUPER.
I would take 75 down into N GA to exit 312 and then pick up rt 53 towards Dawsonville, GA. You need to get on to 5/515 for a short time. Near Dawsonville, pick up RT 9 to Dahlonega. All of these roads are big rig friendly. In Dahlonega, pick up Rt 19/60 north and follow to about 6 miles out of town. Easy drive. When you come to the sign on the left for R Ranch; that's "stone pile gap". (Can't miss it)
DO NOT GO UP THE MOUNTAIN TOWARDS SUCHES, GA.
Turn RIGHT towards "Turners Corner" and continue all the way until it dead ends. 5 + miles.
Turn RIGHT at the end and follow this road about 12 miles until you see Alt 75 to Helen. (Well marked). Turn left and follow it to Helen.
These are all good roads and NO WHITE KNUCKLE driving.

You can send me a PM and I will respond quickly. I am on this forum daily.
BTW, I live in Atlanta. Visit our resort web site: www.rranchga.com and see where I am based. If not a holiday, I may be able to get you in there for a few days. It is a gated, private 800 acre property with horses and all types of amenities.

Whatever choices you make, I hope you do not wind up on 129 from Knoxville, down through infamous "Deal's GAP" or route 60 from the north down through Suches, GA. The curves for a biker are GREAT, for a camper HELL. Steep and SHARP. I am a biker and have riden every road from Knoxville to Helen many, many times. (Still do).
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
n20279

Thanks for the great info. We took the tail on a Goldwing and know I don't want to put my trailer down that road.

We are staying down around Helen but will check out Dalanega while we are there.
n20279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
LeeMedic

Smile

I love Helen, Ga. We camp at Unicoi SP. I love the hiking. Make sure you go see "Goats on the Roof" while you are there. It is rather entertaining.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote