Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2020, 04:29 PM   #61
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTPRescue View Post
I am new to this site so please forgive me if this has been covered by someone in the past.
We have a 2019 Montana 3790RD the we just bought new as a late model year carry over.
What type of slide motor/gear assembly are causing all these oil leak problems.
The two main slides that we have are hydraulic over mechanical and are driven through hydraulic motors that extend and retract the slides with rams that are attached to the underside of the slide.

The other three slides are equipped with Lippert Schwintek systems that have two motors per slide in the two upper most corner of the slide opening.

Are these the motors that everyone is having so many problems with? A photo that one of you guys posted would lead me to believe that the problematic slide motors are NOT the Lippert Schwintek system that we have.

Can one of you guys let me know?

Thanks,
Dave Dubbin

The ones I've seen and I'm aware of are not those that you have. They are the motors that sit above the slide boxes that use the cable system.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #62
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTPRescue View Post
I am new to this site so please forgive me if this has been covered by someone in the past.
We have a 2019 Montana 3790RD the we just bought new as a late model year carry over.
What type of slide motor/gear assembly are causing all these oil leak problems.
The two main slides that we have are hydraulic over mechanical and are driven through hydraulic motors that extend and retract the slides with rams that are attached to the underside of the slide.

The other three slides are equipped with Lippert Schwintek systems that have two motors per slide in the two upper most corner of the slide opening.

Are these the motors that everyone is having so many problems with? A photo that one of you guys posted would lead me to believe that the problematic slide motors are NOT the Lippert Schwintek system that we have.

Can one of you guys let me know?

Thanks,
Dave Dubbin

Apparently the defective motor/gearboxes are manufactured by Norco Industries (China), and does not seem to be used on Montana's just the Montana High Country and others.
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:38 PM   #63
Eric363

Has anybody ever got an estimate for a slide roof replacement?

Thanks, Eric
Eric363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #64
GilaElkHunter

I asked for a quote in case Keystone wouldn't replace mine when it was at the dealership. I was quoted 9 hours labor @$140/hr + approx. $150 materials per slide. Glad Keystone came through and replaced 2 of mine.
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:36 PM   #65
Eric363

Thanks for the info. My camper is almost 3 years old and the slide roof had two 1/2" splits right at the edge the sidewall. No longer covered by keystone, but the roof manufacturer will cover $840 in labor and supply the materials. They figured 14 hrs @ $100 -40% for 3rd year of the warranty. I still waiting to hear back from a few places. They are also willing to cover $500 for a repair. I'm not sure what the better route is. Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:49 AM   #66
JRTJH
Site Team

From a "no leak" perspective, I'd suppose that either a repair or a replacement would be essentially equal. If the roof is not leaking after repaired, it's the same as not leaking after being replaced.

That said, from a "value perspective", at resale/trade in time, a "not leaking roof that looks original" will probably not deduct from the overall value while "a roof with patches and not leaking" would raise questions of previous leaks and underlying water damage as well as the repaired roof would bring uncertainty about what's under the patch and likely decrease the trade value or cause some buyers to be reluctant to buy the trailer "because of roof leaks".... We see reports of that on this forum nearly every day.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:04 AM   #67
Eric363

Exactly one of my thoughts. I just don't know if replacing the roof would open a bigger can of worms.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:55 AM   #68
JRTJH
Site Team

A "COMPETENT" repairman would, in nearly all situations, not "run into other problems" that weren't seen during the initial inspection. Most will add enough "cushion" to the estimate to cover those situations. That said, at least for me, if I see a repaired fender on a car and it "looks seamless with proper matching paint, properly aligned and no defects on inspecting the repair" I'd put that vehicle into a different category from one with a fender that has a ripple, the paint is slightly off color and has some "fisheyes" in it.... That vehicle, I'd probably walk away from, even if everything else is "pristine"....

So, for me, a patched roof is a "no go"... Others may (probably will) feel differently, but...…

As for "opening a can of worms as the repair progresses" depending on the repairman/repair facility, I wouldn't worry too much about that....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:27 PM   #69
Rubicon100

Well it's been over a year since I put the drip tray on and cleaned the roof membrane with alcohol,
I then used some eternabond to cover the bubbles and I have had no issues except the drip tray isn't very deep.
I keep an eye on it and wipe it out when it needs it.
Dan
Rubicon100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roof, slide