Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #1
EVMIII

RV Specific GPS

Looking to add a GPS to my truck and the reviews have me a little confused.

Garmin RV 760LMT. Ratings seem pretty good. Features seem good. Replaced by 660LMT.

Garmin RV 660LMT. Ratings are not very good, lots of complaints about the accuracy of the mapping. I'm a little confused because it basically uses the same mapping info as the 760. Features are very good.

Rand McNally RV 7730. Ratings are good except consistent complaint about lack of brightness. Good features.

Anybody have an hands on experience with any of these units? I was ready to buy the Garmin 660 (always had good success with Garmin products), but now the reviews have me a little concerned. Help.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:36 AM   #2
notanlines

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rmin+RV+760LMT
$289 and it can be all yours.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:11 AM   #3
Javi

While I have not used a Garmin RV specific GPS, I have used several Garmin GPS's and have had little trouble with them. Like every GPS I've seen there is the occasional hiccup like being sent down dead-end roads but overall the Garmin beats the competition by a mile.

I will warn you to stay away from the Magellan brand as their map updates are few and far between and the satellite system response slow... in fact it is relatively easy to get the Magellan completely lost even in metro areas... Once it becomes lost the only recourse is to completely reboot at a standstill... I love it when it tells you to turn in 500 feet and you passed the last turn 3 miles back...

I threw mine out the window of my moving truck while looking for a place to turn the rig around for the 4th time in 250 miles...

Santa is bringing me a Garmin
Old 12-21-2016, 06:19 AM   #4
CaptnJohn

There are still 760 units on some shelves. www.thegpsstore.com has about the widest selection in stock for vehicles, boats, and planes. I have it as well as Ford in dash nav. The Garmin kept me out of trouble most recently in Chattanooga with some low underpasses. I have one turn about 15 miles from the house every model Garmin, Ford, Magellan, Rand/McNally all screw up.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:51 AM   #5
CWSWine

I have the 760 and saved my bacon several times including one place where I would had to backup a 1/4 of mile to turn around. The maps have been accurate so far but remember to take out RV mode if you just site seeing.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
Barbell

I am one of the reviewers of the Garmin 660 on Amazon. If zero stars were available, I would give it zero. I also have tried the 760 and it was almost as bad. We have used Garmins for years but these so-called RV specific devices are worse than useless. We solved the problem last winter when we traded the old truck for a new Ram with the built-it gps. It is far better than any others we have tried even tho it doesn't have the RV features. Bought a truckers' atlas for height, etc. restrictions.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #7
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell View Post
I am one of the reviewers of the Garmin 660 on Amazon. If zero stars were available, I would give it zero. I also have tried the 760 and it was almost as bad. We have used Garmins for years but these so-called RV specific devices are worse than useless. We solved the problem last winter when we traded the old truck for a new Ram with the built-it gps. It is far better than any others we have tried even tho it doesn't have the RV features. Bought a truckers' atlas for height, etc. restrictions.
I liked the RAM gps as it is a Garmin. Like all in dash nav systems it is expensive. The same unit but free standing id about $150 with lifetime updates. RAM updates come on a DVD for $150. Ford is OK too but for pulling the 5er I rely on the 760.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
notanlines

Hahah! Guess who got a 760 for Christmas? Seems that Santa (DW) did the investigating and also thinks the 760 ratings were much better so that's what I got. Yes, there might be two sides to this.......she does most of the GPS figuring.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 12-26-2016, 08:30 AM   #9
EVMIII

Decided on the 760. Received yesterday, charged and updated without issue. It did recommend I upgrade the memory already (80 some % full). Quick check with the only restricted weight bridge around and it definitely routed me around it in rv mode and over it in auto mode. Great display, happy with decision. Thanks for the help, safe travels all.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #10
ChuckS

Think you will really like that new gps.. I've used nothing but Garmin for years.. yours should have come with lifetime free map updates as well..

Ours has taken us every where we wanted to go.. and pulling a fifth wheel the gps takes a lot of worry out of navigation.. trip over thru Oregon last year to the coast and the God was quick, split screens to show us freeway lane to be in before turn, etc...

Learn how it works and I think you'll be pleased.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #11
texas-traveler

Looking to purchase a RV specific gps. Presently looking at the Rand McNally overdyrve 7rvnd unit. any thoughts. Have the on board dodge nav. and new update will not surfice for the rv. Had a cobra several years ago and then a magellon, not pleased with maps or features
Old 02-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #12
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas-traveler View Post
Looking to purchase a RV specific gps. Presently looking at the Rand McNally overdyrve 7rvnd unit. any thoughts. Have the on board dodge nav. and new update will not surfice for the rv. Had a cobra several years ago and then a magellon, not pleased with maps or features
I just picked up the Garmin RV660-LMT. Price is dropping...can pick one up now on ebay/amazon around $235. I talked to Garmin, the maps and algorithms are exactly the same as the Garmin RV770-LMT but goes for $400.

I am happy with the voice recognition, actually it's pretty slick. Just be sure to minimize background noise in your vehicle.

The unit comes with lifetime map updates and traffic without need to link to your smartphone and use your plan data. Also, be advised, lifetime map updates are only available to original purchaser. There are "pre-owned" units out there where you will be out of luck for map updates.

Good luck in your choice.
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #13
smgreen1976

I've been considering the Garmin RV770-LMT but have read such mixed reviews. Anyone on here have real-world experience with one?
smgreen1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #14
notanlines

Garmin 760 here. Works great. Of course so do all our other Garmins.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 02-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #15
Pull Toy

Did you know that GPS was invented in the mall?

You walked up to the "store locator map"... and you had an arrow saying "YOU ARE HERE" by gosh it was always right, and it never recalculated your route! ... Sorry... no I'm not ...LOL!!!

I've had multiple (rebuilt) Magellan Units over the last 15 years, never a problem, great customer service, and support. As far as I know, the updates are not a major issue... I-95 hasn't moved in over 40 years, except in some cases re-numbering exit numbers to the mile marker (yard line= old school)! My latest edition got around the "Exit renumbering issue by telling you the verbiage on the sign, not the exit number.

My '16 Ford 350 has built in "NAV", but when I'm "pulling", my Magellan overrules factory nav, and is always on board!

p.s.
Just as an afterthought, please measure you rig's clearance while hooked, jacks up, before you input it in the GPS (no matter which one you buy) and go! My 2013 has different figures than the 2016 by 4 inches, but nothing is different. Lay a 2x4 across your roof, and measure to ground, add a/c clearance issues, and add 3" inches for snow, or recent black-top.

Good Luck!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #16
TheGriz

I recently went through the analysis myself on which RV specific GPS to buy. Full disclosure, I really didn't give Magellans or Rands an extended look, just because I've owned many Garmin products, and simply have a brand allegiance. YMMV.

But my choice was down to the Garmin RV660LMT and the Garmin RV770LMT. I spoke to Garmin a few times as I kept thinking of new questions. Here are my determining factors:

- 660 is going at about $240 right now, and the 770 hasn't dropped and stands at $400. Adv...660

- 660 and 770 both use exactly the same maps and algorithms. Tie (It's imperative to do the map updates especially when you first get the NEW GPS. Also...if you want lifetime map update...DON'T buy used/pre-owned. Lifetime map updates available only to original purchaser.)

- 660 gets traffic input from broadcasted FM signals with no need for smartphone linking and personal data usage. 770 gets traffic input by linking via bluetooth to your smartphone. IMHO...big Adv 660

- 660 has 6" diameter screen, 770 has 7" diameter screen and next gen resolution. Adv...770

- both 660 and 770 have had their share of negative on-line review. I chalk both up to new product. No advantage either way.

Sooo...I went with the 660. It wasn't worth spending another $160 to me for a better screen, and I liked the traffic input methods better.

Lastly, I eliminated the RV760LMT because Garmin is no longer manufacturing that model. And for some nonsensical reason is selling at a premium to Garmin's MSRP to the tune of $300 or so or about $700. Garmin reps couldn't believe it when I told them that until they looked at ebay and amazon and saw it for themselves. They could offer no rationale for the premium price.

Good luck with your choice,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:29 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

One GPS that often gets overlooked by RV'ers is the Garmin dēzl 580 LMT-S. It's a bit smaller (fits better on a crowded dash or instrument panel). It is designed for semi trucks, so it is programmed for larger vehicles, offers size, height and weight limit advisories, has program features for interstate services, parking, special routing, etc. It's $299. There are 6" and 7" screen size units available for more money.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:30 AM   #18
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
- 660 gets traffic input from broadcasted FM signals with no need for smartphone linking and personal data usage. 770 gets traffic input by linking via bluetooth to your smartphone. IMHO...big Adv 660
Good summary of the differences! I went through a similar analysis last year and went with the 770 because of the bigger and nicer display. I wasn't wild about using the smartphone for live traffic, and ended up forking out an additional $65 for the "Garmin GTM 60 HD Digital Traffic Receiver". Although pricey, a year later I am still very satisfied with the decision.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #19
ChuckS

I’ve been using the 660 for 3 years now.. it’s navigated us all over western states, IA,SD, with harry an issue. I keep the map source uodated and I’d purchase again ..

Also, I run a Garmin Street Pilot on my Goldwing.. it’s been on the scoot since 2005 and has navigated us with no issues...
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #20
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
... As far as I know, the updates are not a major issue... I-95 hasn't moved in over 40 years, except in some cases re-numbering exit numbers to the mile marker (yard line= old school)! My latest edition got around the "Exit renumbering issue by telling you the verbiage on the sign, not the exit number.
I drove my father in-law up to Kansas a couple years ago (we don't let him drive anymore) for memorial service for one of his friends.

He insisted we use his Garmin, that had not had any map updates in years, since it did not have the LM option and there were times it showed us driving out in the terrain, instead of on a road.

I still use my 2012 vintage Garmin Nuvi 1390 LMT and check for map updates prior to leaving the house.

It has the traffic radio built in to the power cord and there is no way to tell it that I am pulling an RV, but for our trailer that has not been an issue.

-Brian