Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #1
sparky01

Sanitizing Freshwater Tank

I want to sanitize my fresh water tank at home and have a question. Can I just hook up a standard garden hose to my house and sanitize/flush the tank with bleach before a camping trip? Since the bleach is diluted would dumping the water out on my street be irresponsible?

Thank you
sparky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Yup. There's a current thread discussing that exact process. You can read about it here: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=31782

There are also a number of other threads, many that ask the same question and give specific answers. You can do a search using the search tab in the black bar found at the top of every forum page. Good Luck and happy searching.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky01 View Post
Since the bleach is diluted would dumping the water out on my street be irresponsible?

Thank you
Interesting question

Added: I'm thinking that a cup or so of household bleach diluted in 40+ gallons of water is not going to harm lawn, asphalt, or do any harm going into the street's storm drains. I guess it might tick off a few nightwalkers in the lawn that are close to the discharge point!

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I don't use my fresh water tank very often but I do leave it about 1/3 full for traveling uses. I drain it about twice a year and then put bleach in it, take it around the block to mix it, let it sit overnight then drain on our property. Rinse it out a couple of times and away we go for the next go round.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:32 AM   #5
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
Interesting question

Added: I'm thinking that a cup or so of household bleach diluted in 40+ gallons of water is not going to harm lawn, asphalt, or do any harm going into the street's storm drains. I guess it might tick off a few nightwalkers in the lawn that are close to the discharge point!
I've always drained mine into the street, the drains are about a house length away, never had anyone complain.

Drained fresh water one time as we left a track, stopped for breakfast and sheriff came in looking for us, wanted to know why we were dumping our tanks in the street...well I had to educate him on how RV tanks are setup...lol! All was good.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:02 AM   #6
sparky01

Do I need a water pressure regulator to hook up to my house water hose spigot? I have a 60 gallon freshwater tank how much bleach should I add? Since I will only be using the hose for sanitizing the tank I shouldn't have to buy a potable water hose correct?
Old 02-09-2018, 05:49 AM   #7
jsmith948

I use 1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gals of tank capacity. Why not just use the potable water hose that you use when connecting to the campground water supply

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:52 AM   #8
sparky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
I use 1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gals of tank capacity. Why not just use the potable water hose that you use when connecting to the campground water supply
I'm just being cheap we have only dry-camped so far so I don't have a potable water hose
Old 02-09-2018, 06:55 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

On the subject of hoses,

For as long as I can remember we used regular garden hoses. I drank out of them (still do) without any ill effects that I’m aware of. Now I’m being told it may cause harm? I did buy “drinking water safe” hoses last year because I get a discount on parts. Regular hose is for the rinser...

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:09 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

You don't need a pressure regulator to fill the fresh water tank from a gravity fill port. You might want to consider a pressure regulator for use on a "valve controlled city water/tank fill" valving system. You don't indicate what pressure your "home system" has, if you're on a private well, you're probably safe without a regulator (40-60 PSI), if you're on a "city water system" you'd need to know the pressure to make that determination. I'd urge a pressure regulator with any water system that's above about 50 PSI and I'd also urge using a regulator on ALL campground systems. With the number of campers connected to the system, the pressure may rise by 20-30 PSI at times when water use is low. Some are well over 100 PSI (Marquette Tourist Park) all the time and can rise above 125 PSI in the middle of the night.

As for hoses, a "cheap, dollar store vinyl hose" is going to be adequate. You may object to the aftertaste of the vinyl or you may not. The only concern I'd have is whether the cheap hose will stand up to the pressure without bursting. Often a hose that's connected to a RV and a water source (when the water in the trailer is turned off) becomes a "balloon" that grows bigger in the sun. Sunlight (in hot areas like Texas and Louisiana) can be brutal. The vinyl hose will become soft, pressure will rise in the hose and you may find a "fountain" outside your RV on a hot afternoon. With a pressure regulator and a reinforced hose designed for drinking water, you eliminate much of that problem. But, that's just one view on hoses, there are as many differing views as there are brands of hoses at the Dollar Store, Lowe's and HD.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #11
travelin texans

I would also recommend a "regulator", not the cheapo "restrictor" they give away with new rvs or sell at Wal-Mart. If the parks you frequent have 100-125 psi that cheap little restrictor can't control that much. A good adjustable regulator with a gauge is your best bet. Pex piping in rvs is rated at 100+ psi, but the plastic fittiings they use to connect them I'm not real confident in.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
ChuckS

Dumping the water out of your tank in the street after doing a sanitization procedure will not harm a thing.. be sure when you sanitize to run the fresh water pump and get that chlorinated water ran thru all the lines, open hot and cold water taps and run each a couple of m8nutes to purge out existing water and replace with chlorinated water.. then let it set.. drain and flush out after a day or so and your fine...
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #13
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I would also recommend a "regulator", not the cheapo "restrictor" they give away with new rvs or sell at Wal-Mart. If the parks you frequent have 100-125 psi that cheap little restrictor can't control that much. A good adjustable regulator with a gauge is your best bet. Pex piping in rvs is rated at 100+ psi, but the plastic fittiings they use to connect them I'm not real confident in.
What regulator do you recommend?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #14
travelin texans

Got mine at a home improvement store, it's a 3/4" Watts household regulator& added hose fittings to either end.
You can find them at most rv stores with the gauge for about $50-60, they are usually preset at 55psi which a good pressure provided the park has that high.
I always hook mine up at the park faucet whether I need it or not, sort lime my surge protector, if there's power hooked up so is the surge protector.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:09 PM   #15
Forrest

I flush my tank prior to taking it on the road each year. I do so by adding about 15 gal of water and adding about a 1/4 cup of bleach. I then drive it around block to mix it up. I then use my pump and flush out the water tubes and faucets with the mixture. I then drain the tank and refill it with fresh water. Turn the pump on and then flush out the water pipes with fresh water. Drain the tank a second time and refill with about 10 gallons of fresh water. I don't worry about a regulator when filling the tank.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
What regulator do you recommend?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
This is the one I bought. It's a replacement for one that lasted about 10 years before I dropped it and broke it. Anyway, it's about $40 and works great.
https://www.amazon.com/Renator-M11-0...sure+regulator

Yes, that's a bubble in the gauge. It's oil filled.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

I recently ordered a new water pressure regulator to replace my old one. Here is a note I received from the maker after I had received it; it was pretty impressive to me.

"Dear Danny,
Thank you for purchasing our new Water Pressure Regulator with a Gauge. This is a new product, and we want to be sure that our customers are pleased with their purchase. Has it met your expectations? Do you have any further questions? Our customer support is here to help you with any issues, and we would love to hear from you. We work hard to make the customer happy! Feel free to contact us by responding to this email so we can alleviate any concerns, or improve our product in the future.

As a small company based in Cleveland, Ohio we rely on customer feedback to help us do our jobs better. Product reviews help us meet your needs, and are an important part of the shopping experience for everyone on Amazon. They help level the playing field between small, Midwestern companies like us, and giant box store competitors.
Please select which of the following pertains to you: "

The unit is solid and works great. I've been very pleased and the customer support from the company was unexpected. Here's the link to the regulator;

https://www.joyfay.com/catalog/produ...iABEgIWGfD_BwE

The link is to another site that carries the regulator. Amazon was about $4 cheaper....and free shipping. The Amazon link kept putting all my acct. info on it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:45 AM   #18
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky01 View Post
Do I need a water pressure regulator to hook up to my house water hose spigot? I have a 60 gallon freshwater tank how much bleach should I add? Since I will only be using the hose for sanitizing the tank I shouldn't have to buy a potable water hose correct?
You do not need a regulator to fill the fresh tank. You would use one if you hookup to the City Water port which bypasses your Fresh Tank. Also I would recommend to use a potable water hose for either connection to keep that garden hose taste out of your water supply.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #19
Maineiacs

Just wondering - I'll need to sanitize the tank this spring. I do not have easy access to the water pump itself. Only to the hose connection which can be switched from tank fill to city water supply.

How do you introduce bleach into the tank without access to the suction side of the pump? Trickle feed it into the port?
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:53 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
Just wondering - I'll need to sanitize the tank this spring. I do not have easy access to the water pump itself. Only to the hose connection which can be switched from tank fill to city water supply.

How do you introduce bleach into the tank without access to the suction side of the pump? Trickle feed it into the port?
One easy way is to fill your city water hose with Clorox, connect it to the faucet and fill your tank with the "city water fill" valve. A 25 foot 5/8" hose will hold about 3 cups of Clorox. Disconnect both ends of the empty hose, use a funnel and slowly pour the Clorox into the hose, connect the trailer end, then the faucet end. Remember to hold the ends higher than the hose or your Clorox will spill out of the hose.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
tank, water