Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
ralphyboy

replacement Carbon Monoxide detector??

I just purchased a used 2006 Outback 26 RLS. there is a carbon monoxide detector in the bedroom which is dead (batteries were missing and terminals were corroded), so I have to replace it. As I researched a replacement, it seems that carbon monoxide detectors don't detect Propane. Is this true? As I understand it, the only gas running through my trailer is propane, so why would there even be a carbon monoxide detector? Should I replace it with a propane/LP gas detector instead?
ralphyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

There should be another detector for the LP. Some are combo but if your CO detector is in the bedroom, that’s all it’s for. Replace it with a new one and look in the main cabin near the floor for the LP detector, they have a limited life too.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
ptooti

What Is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is emitted when fuel, such as natural gas or propane, is burned. It is odorless and colorless, virtually impossible to detect. When an excess of CO is inhaled, a person can suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning, a predicament that can quickly lead to death you wont even wake up you just die in your sleep so yes they are important!
Carbon monoxide is given off by your stove,furnace,bbq tent heater basically anything that burns fossil fuel...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ona-cabin.html
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
bobbecky

You probably have a propane detector in the kitchen area that is hardwired into the 12 volt system, and that is where you most likely would have propane leaking into the rig. Some rigs have the CO detector hardwired also, but like yours, ours is a battery model. You should be able to pick up a CO detector from any hardware or big box store to replace your unit. The CO detector should be close to the sleeping area. With the age of that rig, you probably need to replace the smoke detector as well as the propane detector, as they all age out. I've replaced all the detectors in our rig, the last being the smoke detector, which I replaced with one that has a 10 year battery, and when it signals the battery fail sound, you just replace the unit.
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
ralphyboy

Thanks everyone. I foolishly forgot that the furnace and fridge when using propane produces carbon monoxide as a by product of burning. I'll replace everything and keep it up to date and safe. Thanks again.
ralphyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:57 AM   #6
Lee

Interesting thread!!!

Maybe dumb question but here goes...... Do the Smoke and CO detectors have a printed on expiration date? If not how do you know the expiration date? or do you just replace when unit fails self-test?

I would run out and look at my detectors but the TT is in winter storage.

Thanks,

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:26 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphyboy View Post
Thanks everyone. I foolishly forgot that the furnace and fridge when using propane produces carbon monoxide as a by product of burning. I'll replace everything and keep it up to date and safe. Thanks again.

Both of those appliance are exhausted outside. The “cabinet” the refer sits in is sealed and there should be a foam seal on the refer where it rests against the cabinet. Your real danger comes from the stove/oven

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:27 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Interesting thread!!!

Maybe dumb question but here goes...... Do the Smoke and CO detectors have a printed on expiration date? If not how do you know the expiration date? or do you just replace when unit fails self-test?

I would run out and look at my detectors but the TT is in winter storage.

Thanks,

There should be either a label or printed on the detector.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:51 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

All smoke detectors, CO monitors and propane detectors have a service life. Some will not function after a specific time, some will "false alarm" and some will just keep going, but not detect the substance they are designed to detect, but most will fail the "self test" if performed after the expiration date.

KIDDE has this statement in their CO detector manual:
"IMPORTANT: Seven (7) years after the initial power up, this alarm will “beep” every 30 seconds to indicate that it is time to replace the alarm. Replace the alarm immediately! It will not detect CO in this condition.
To help identify the date to replace the alarm, a label has been affixed to the side of the alarm. Write the “replace by” date (seven years from power up) in a permanent marker on this label."

Also, spraying any cleaner, hair spray, insect repellant or many other products into the "air ports" on most detectors will damage the detector element and it may not work properly after that. So, if you or the DW use hair spray, apply a bug spray while getting dressed, use a spray deodorant or even clean the trailer interior with spray furniture polish or cleaner, you may be risking destroying your smoke, propane or CO detector. The best advice would be to read the owner's manual that came with your products and follow them closely.

I've known people who use a propane lighter to test their propane detector. Yup, it'll alarm, but it will also destroy the function of the detector after a couple of times, rendering you unprotected from an actual propane leak (once the detector capability is gone). Every time it "senses" propane, it degrades a part of the elemental coating on the detector, once that coating is gone, the detector is incapable of the chemical process to detect further propane, CO and in many smoke detectors, the chemicals in the smoke that cause the detector to alarm.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:55 AM   #10
travelin texans

Usually a manufactured date, possibly an expiration date, on the back side, all are usually only good for 5 years.
You should get an "Attaboy" for being diligent in checking those on a used rv, most pay no attention to them til they start beeping.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Usually a manufactured date, possibly an expiration date, on the back side, all are usually only good for 5 years.
You should get an "Attaboy" for being diligent in checking those on a used rv, most pay no attention to them til they start beeping.

Used units are checked for expiration dates at the dealership I’m employed at. Can’t say my last employer did..just one of many reasons I returned to my first employer.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Kiddie and Universal Securities make combination CO, Smoke and Fire alarms with sealed 10 year lithium batteries that last the life of the unit. I bought these units at Home depot to upgrade the brick & stick for a fire inspection. They are not cheap but not being awakened by a low battery CHIRP is priceless.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:06 PM   #13
Lee

Finally got a chance to go check on my TT.

LP detector Atwood 36719 states to replace after 84 months of powered operation.

CO detector, Atwood 900-0143. Manual states replace 84 months after date of purchase.

Can't get to the Smoke detector due to the slide being in... will check that one later.

Since my TT is a 2013 model, I should be good for at least another year.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #14
ptooti

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Both of those appliance are exhausted outside. The “cabinet” the refer sits in is sealed and there should be a foam seal on the refer where it rests against the cabinet. Your real danger comes from the stove/oven
I agree when things are functioning properly however the carbon monoxide detector is a safe guard for when things malfunction a like say a broken seal leaks Carbon Monoxide into the cabin area or plugged up exhaust vent etc and don’t kid yourself on the quality workmanship that goes into our fine trailers is a joke the threat of c02 is anywhere there is fuel burning going on.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:24 PM   #15
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptooti View Post
I agree when things are functioning properly however the c02 detector is a safe guard for when things malfunction a like say a broken seal leaks c02 into the cabin area or plugged up exhaust vent etc and don’t kid yourself on the quality workmanship that goes into our fine trailers is a joke the threat of c02 is anywhere there is fuel burning going on.
Just making a clarification. CO2 is carbon dioxide, the stuff you emit when you exhale when breathing. CO is carbon monoxide, which is a byproduct of combustion, and very deadly. You read about people being found dead when using a generator indoors, and they died due to carbon monoxide poisoning. It is also from burning anything, including from any propane appliance in these rigs.
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:30 PM   #16
ptooti

fixed it thanks either way both can cause death CO and CO2 – What’s the difference?
August 28, 2009

co co2 difference

CO - carbon monoxide and CO2 - carbon dioxide are often confused. The names sound the same, they both are colorless and odorless gases, and at high concentrations, both can be deadly
Old 01-27-2018, 10:40 PM   #17
shiresoft

"High concentrations" differs substantially between CO (carbon monoxide) and CO2 (carbon dioxide) and the toxicity levels are dependent upon time. CO is considered toxic at 35ppm (parts per million). CO2 is considered toxic at about 6% (current atmospheric levels are ~350ppm).

CO is more deadly because it prevents the blood from carrying oxygen to various parts of the body. CO2 displaces the oxygen that is breathed and at higher concentrations (6%) it prevents CO2 from being expelled from the body (we exhale CO2 normally).

Hope this helps.

2018 Sprinter Campfire 29BH
2005 Ford F250 SuperDuty Crew Cab Long Bed 6.0 Diesel
shiresoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:41 AM   #18
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiresoft View Post
"High concentrations" differs substantially between CO (carbon monoxide) and CO2 (carbon dioxide) and the toxicity levels are dependent upon time. CO is considered toxic at 35ppm (parts per million). CO2 is considered toxic at about 6% (current atmospheric levels are ~350ppm).

CO is more deadly because it prevents the blood from carrying oxygen to various parts of the body. CO2 displaces the oxygen that is breathed and at higher concentrations (6%) it prevents CO2 from being expelled from the body (we exhale CO2 normally).

Hope this helps.
CO2 is what makes soda fizz. I'm not nearly as worried about CO2 as I am about CO.

Maybe that's why there are no CO2 detectors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote