Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
EDM

Newbie Question: Pulling up a steep hill

I have ordered our first fifth wheel (Montana HC 350RL) and am super excited to get started. I have a newbie question. Many campgrounds in our area are near riverbeds and when leaving the campground there is a very steep hill to climb back up to the main road. In order to save the tread on the rear tires, is it advisable to use 4WD to pull up the hill, then go back to 2WD when you level out?
EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
Javi

If you're spinning the rear wheels with that kind of load, YEP you might want to use 4X4... I been on some pretty steep hills with my rig and ain't busted a tire loose yet.. at least not on pavement... loose gravel or mud... then yep..
Old 07-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
Dadwoolery

As a fellow newbie that just completed our first trip (4350 miles) to California and back to Minnesota, I would make sure you shut off the overdrive and just take it slow.
2000 Ford F350 DRW, 7.3 Powerstroke
Dadwoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
KOZKO

I have pulled up many steep hills (including just getting to my house) here in western PA and never needed 4x4. The pin weight has never let the tires break free, but it is always on finished roads - not dirt or gravel.

2018 Laredo 340FL
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7L Cummins Diesel (6’4” bed)
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
B&W Turnoverball
JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers
KOZKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
Canonman

I don't think overdrive has anything to do with slippage. You're puling 5+ tons of trailer up a hill to the main road. You've certainly added as much weight to the rear wheels as you can so if you are slipping it's time for the front wheels to do some work.
You've got the idea exactly right from what I've experienced with both boats and travel trailers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1451.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	17524  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I have ordered our first fifth wheel (Montana HC 350RL) and am super excited to get started. I have a newbie question. Many campgrounds in our area are near riverbeds and when leaving the campground there is a very steep hill to climb back up to the main road. In order to save the tread on the rear tires, is it advisable to use 4WD to pull up the hill, then go back to 2WD when you level out?
IMO anytime you are pulling a load (or not for that matter) and start spinning your tires trying to climb a hill, 1) lighten up on the throttle if that is the issue, 2) engage 4wd to limit what could be an aggravating experience. If this is your first 5th wheel and you are going down into river beds, leaves me thinking there are probably trees somewhere along that route; watch out for the height of the trailer in the trees.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
Wxman

OP, I don't see where you mentioned any tire slippage. If you are just asking about 4wd to even out the tire wear during hard pulling, spreading the load a little, then I would say no. If you are locked in 4wd the differences between front and rear driveshafts probably worse for tire wear. If you are in some kind of AUTO 4wd, then the front probably isn't doing anything until the rear slips anyway. Timely tire rotations are what keeps your tread wear even.

If I misinterpreted your question and you are in fact experiencing some tire slippage/spinning, or you are concerned you might then yes on the 4wd. Not really for tire wear, but for safety and 'smooth sailing'.
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #8
MattE303

Depending on how steep the hill and how slow you're going, you might want to engage 4LO just for the lower gearing. The private road up to our house is steep and twisty enough that I need to do this. First time we brought the trailer home I didn't know to do that and got the tranny really hot

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #9
Dorrie

What happens you don't have 4 wheel drive? Just take it a bit slowly if spinning. Now if stopped and on a steep gravel road to pull out onto main road would it be wise to put in a lower gear? Just asking.
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
bob91yj

You really only want to use 4x4 if you have tire slip. If you have an "auto" function on your 4x4 system you can use that. If you only have 4x4 hi/lo, try to avoid using it on a paved road as the drivetrain can get into a bind, especially if making turns.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
FlyingAroundRV

You should avoid using 4WD on hard surfaces. There are always slight differences in tire circumferences and when you are on a hard surface, the differences in the rolling speeds of the front wheels compared to the rear wheels (from steering etc) puts a lot of strain on the transfer case gears.
However, If your vehicle is an AWD as opposed to 4WD, the transfer case will likely have differential gears which allow 4WD on hard surfaces.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #12
travelin texans

If your truck is equipped with the tow/haul, always engage it when towing, 4 wheel drive or otherwise, it saves your tranny & also assist in going downhill.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #13
Freeheel4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
You should avoid using 4WD on hard surfaces. There are always slight differences in tire circumferences and when you are on a hard surface, the differences in the rolling speeds of the front wheels compared to the rear wheels (from steering etc) puts a lot of strain on the transfer case gears.
However, If your vehicle is an AWD as opposed to 4WD, the transfer case will likely have differential gears which allow 4WD on hard surfaces.
Hmm, this is something Ive never really put much thought into before. So I regularly tow on packed snow and ice. I guess I could see there being a lot of drivetrain stress with a locking rear differential while cornering in 4 but with an open diff would it really be an issue?? I have towed a lot of miles in 4wd on my 2000 F150 as even with added rear axle weight occasionally the rears would break loose so I would tow in 4 to keep the whole show moving forward. Havent had any issues yet but is there an argument to be made for that shortening Tcase life span or is the coefficient of friction on packed snow and ice low enough that the wheels can slip during those periods of different speeds.

Sorry for thread derail in advance. Probably should have started a new thread but figured we were still somewhat on track.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #14
MTBlazer89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeheel4life View Post
Hmm, this is something Ive never really put much thought into before. So I regularly tow on packed snow and ice. I guess I could see there being a lot of drivetrain stress with a locking rear differential while cornering in 4 but with an open diff would it really be an issue?? I have towed a lot of miles in 4wd on my 2000 F150 as even with added rear axle weight occasionally the rears would break loose so I would tow in 4 to keep the whole show moving forward. Havent had any issues yet but is there an argument to be made for that shortening Tcase life span or is the coefficient of friction on packed snow and ice low enough that the wheels can slip during those periods of different speeds.

Sorry for thread derail in advance. Probably should have started a new thread but figured we were still somewhat on track.
Yes it will still be an issue on a hard dry surface. Travelling straight as necessary is ok, but you don't want to be in 4hi on dry pavement loaded or unloaded,
NAVY CHIEF!
MTBlazer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #15
bob91yj

X2 on the 4Hi, you may get away with it on snow/ice, but not on dry pavement.

Open differential allows for different wheel speeds on that axle, but not through the transfer case between axles...UNLESS, you have what GM calls the "Auto 4wd" (not sure what Ford/Dodge call that position on the tcase shifter) which will usually have a viscous coupling/differential in the transfer case. AWD systems have some form of a coupling/differential in the transfer case.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #16
Javi

You need some slippage in 4X4 but it isn't so critical that the truck explodes the second you hit dry pavement.. Loose sand, gravel or even dirt is good to go.. But I have engaged 4x4 on drive pavement when the rear slipped trying to pull a 80,000 pound 18 wheeler back onto the road on more than one occasion and have yet to blow a transfer case in the instant..

Drive from Dallas to Ft. Worth on dry pavement and you'll most likely tweak it a mite...
Old 07-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #17
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeheel4life View Post

As long as there can be some slippage, the transfer case should cope with it. Snow and ice should provide enough slippage that the stress on the transfer case can be relieved a little. The transfer case is pretty strong, but if you read your manual, it will say don't use 4WD on hard dry surfaces. Snow and ice definitely don't classify as "hard dry surface" so you should be OK there.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91yj View Post
X2 on the 4Hi, you may get away with it on snow/ice, but not on dry pavement.

Open differential allows for different wheel speeds on that axle, but not through the transfer case between axles...UNLESS, you have what GM calls the "Auto 4wd" (not sure what Ford/Dodge call that position on the tcase shifter) which will usually have a viscous coupling/differential in the transfer case. AWD systems have some form of a coupling/differential in the transfer case.

You can run 4x4 on dry pavement but not 4 locked (diffs or xfer case) for any distance. If you have a shift on the fly 4x4 it will run on dry pavement if you're not doing a lot of city driving (straight driving). Obviously it will do fine in dirt, snow or mud. Driving in 4 hi on pavement and turning you can hear the tires binding even if you don't have lockers. In the OPs case trying to go up the hill and preventing slippage should be fine - or in that case, just trying to use 4 drive wheels, and if the incline is great enough, 4 lo. The new "full time 4 wheel drives" with locking diffs/xfer case and lo range as I've had in my Hummer and Toyota 4runners are the best of both worlds IMO. I don't recall what they call them but they operate wonderfully. Went over Imogene pass in the Hummer and never took it out of drive - it just did its thing. Tried lockers (Detroit) in some of my old 4x4s but that made them only good for offroading IMO because they were so picky. Went to Detroit TruTracs which were my favorite because they didn't just mess you up all the time in 4 wheel drive in non drastic situations. They would however get your attention on partially snow covered roads by deciding to lock up on some snow and then hit some pavement thereby jerking the wheel hither and yon.

As far as the OP; use the 4wd to go up the steep hill (I am assuming fairly straight - boat ramp kind of thing), use 4 hi/4lo to get out of the questionable spot then get out of 4wd. It won't do a thing for tire wear per se. If you have sharp curves, switchbacks etc. you will want to know exactly what kind of 4wd you have and its limitations.

I've had a lot of 4x4 experience and I'm sure there are others on here that have had as much or more. I've not destroyed a differential or xfer case trying to do what the OP is describing - maybe I'm just lucky...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #19
bob91yj

I've been a rock crawler/desert racer for 20+ years, very familiar with lockers and transfer cases. I never said that it's going to instantly grenade a differential or transfer case the minute that it is put into 4 wheel drive.

The OP seemed unfamiliar with the operation of the 4x4 system on the vehicle. A part time 4x4 design should not be used on dry/hard surfaces, nothing good is going to happen. I tried to explain "auto" 4wd/AWD system's can be used on hard/dry surfaces, apparently I failed.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
You don't list your truck so I'll relate this to my truck. I have been in similar situations with our travel trailer (not a 5w). I've used 4wd to gain traction but switch to 2wd as soon as I get on a hard surface. Using 4wd on a hard surface and turning the front wheels will cause axe binding and can result in driveline damage, at least on my truck. You should consult your owner's manual to find what the manufacturer recommends for your truck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags