Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Devildogmom

Question Cougar 327RES

Any comments good or bad about the 327RES?
Devildogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Tom and Kelley Crawford

We have had our Cougar 327RES for a year now and absolutely love it. A few minor issues taken care of by dealer under warranty. Wish they would make an adjustment on the cabinet door with the drawers in the kitchen, I cut my knuckles every time I open that cabinet but other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do.
Tom and Kelley Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
KanTC

Welcome Devildogmom,

That Cougar model was new for 2010, but there are a few 327RES owners here -- they simply may not have read your posts yet.

As a registered member you can use the search function... I found several posts that contained "Cougar 327RES". The posts may not answer specific questions, but may be helpful.

To 'search': Sign in, then click on the search tab (located on the blue bar, at the top of the page) A drop-down 'Search Forums' window will open; type in: Cougar 327RES Click on 'show posts', then 'Go".

My directions may be 'confusing', and if so, please check the FAQ's.

Hope this helps!

Terri, the co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
66ken

We purchased our 327 in April 2010. Had some minor issues that I was able to correct myself, but nothing that had to go back to dealer.(Kinked hose on back flush and some leaks on fittings) For the money you will not find a better buy. Most people who have seen it, think it is one of the higher priced units.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
byrdr1

We got one in late September. Camped in it 12 nights before closing for Winter. So far I found nothing I dont like about it. My wife and I looked at 5ers for close to 2 years before finding this model and she fell in love with it. We moved from a Cougar TT with quad bunks to this mom&pop version of a 5th wheel. I have found one PIB. that was winterizing it with the waterpump behind the front basement wall. Had to climb into the bay to remove the panel and get access to the pump. This was Just a PIB. also it started snowing on me that day...Other than that I have found no major problems. OH yes the knife drawer has fallen from the tracks inside the cabinet by the stove. I will be looking at that once the weather starts to warm up.
Really we havent had time to find much wrong yet!
I did add extra 13.5BTU AC in the front bedroom and awning covers. plan to add a vent cover over the bathroom vent, again when the weather warms up. This winter has been bad around here.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Devildogmom

Wink

Thanks, KanTC, for the helpful advise about the search function. That saves a lot of time when looking for a certain subject.
Devildogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
chuckretnav

327res

We bought our 327res in Jul 2010. Have really enjoyed it. So far we have done local camping and then we took a trip to Texas last Nov then over to Florida then back to Indiana. We had to winterize during a artic freeze on the way home. Trailer stay plenty warm and so far no problems other than just getting used to things. We swaped out the recliners for lazaboy, and added a A/C for the front bedroom, that we use during the day. We turn it off at night it is rather loud. We are getting close to getting it serviced for the season and then it off to Washington DC to see the cherry trees in bloom and all the wonderful sights of Washington. This model came out after the wife and I started looking and soon as we saw it and did a side by side comparsion on other models this had it hands down. One thing we don't like is the steps going up to the front they are a little taller than normal and I am going to add a assist handle. Also I keep a folding step ladder handy for the tall cabinets. But we love it. someone else said everyone thinks its a high end fiver. Happy Trails enjoy the camping season.
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Smitty

Bought ours last spring and had time to use it several times. We have problems with the shower leaking, caulking I think. I've tried recaulking but so far no luck. Will need to go back to dealership. One thing I wish is that it had a larger awning. Very small for the length of the unit. I asked a keystone rep if another could be added on to the slide but no one seems to give me a definate on that answer. It,s long. When I picked it up all slides were in and I was surprised when I first saw it. It looked shorter with the slides out. The layout is nice, lots of storage. Steps and hallway going up front are nice and wide. One other mention is the overhead clearance in the bedroom slide is marginable if your on the tall side, I knocked my headwhen getting out of bed but now I think my head automatically ducks when getting up. To others installing bedroom air, is that difficult or expensive and where does the second thermostat go or does the OEM one operate it?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
mobile42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Bought ours last spring and had time to use it several times. We have problems with the shower leaking, caulking I think. I've tried recaulking but so far no luck. Will need to go back to dealership. One thing I wish is that it had a larger awning. Very small for the length of the unit. I asked a keystone rep if another could be added on to the slide but no one seems to give me a definate on that answer. It,s long. When I picked it up all slides were in and I was surprised when I first saw it. It looked shorter with the slides out. The layout is nice, lots of storage. Steps and hallway going up front are nice and wide. One other mention is the overhead clearance in the bedroom slide is marginable if your on the tall side, I knocked my headwhen getting out of bed but now I think my head automatically ducks when getting up. To others installing bedroom air, is that difficult or expensive and where does the second thermostat go or does the OEM one operate it?
We (and the DW) just picked up our new 327RES yesterday (Tuesday) from Fun Country RV in Anthony Texas with the second AC installed in the bedroom. It's a Dometic AC unit and there is no separate thermostat and the OEM will not operate it. It has all the controls built in it (the kind you find in a pop-up). I had the dealer install it for me and paid around $800 total. Had to stay overnight at a RV park in Las Cruces New Mexico due to the extreme winter conditions shutting down the interstate to Albuquerque. We were excited about staying overnight in it immediately so I filled my water tank up and disconnected the garden hose and everything seemed okay until the next morning, I guess my fresh water tank and water line froze overnight. Heater ran all night too! Good thing we had fresh bottled water for drinking, cooking, handwashing and restroom use. We had to shower at this RV facility. Not sure what I'm going to do once I get home and try to figure what type of tank and hose heater I may need to install to keep this from happening again. It don't matter if you have the a RV Arctic or 4 Season Package, Mother Nature is brutal!
4000 Watt Champion Generator

2007 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS TT
2005 Flagstaff Forest River TT
mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
Smitty

I purchased this hose at Amazon.com for a fellow worker and he's using it on his fifth wheel when the weather gets colder. I know it's not the white type but he used it and said it worked out well for him. I'll try putting in the link and see if it works, still new to this. http://www.amazon.com/API-foot-Heate...6760905&sr=8-6
Old 02-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
mobile42

Quote:
I purchased this hose at Amazon.com for a fellow worker and he's using it on his fifth wheel when the weather gets colder. I know it's not the right type but he used it and said it worked out well for him. I'll try putting in the link and see if it works, still new to this. http://www.amazon.com/API-foot-Heate...6760905&sr=8-6
That heated hose wouldn't of never worked at the RV park we were at. Each RV site had frozen water faucets. Those below minus degree temperatures here in Southern New Mexico were really rare.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
Smitty

Your right the faucet would freeze first. The park my coworker was at had the faucets that go down 3 feet and then stick up above ground. The rv park had heat tape on that portion above ground. I guess when it comes down to it RV,s like warm weather.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
mobile42

Quote:
Your right the faucet would freeze first. The park my coworker was at had the faucets that go down 3 feet and then stick up above ground. The rv park had heat tape on that portion above ground. I guess when it comes down to it RV,s like warm weather.
Warm weather yes, I agree with you 100%.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #14
Deebs

Leaky Shower

Quote:
We also have the a leaky shower on our 2011 Cougar 327RES. Our leak appears to be near the lower part of the shower and leaks between the shower and the sink vanity. Does that sound familiar? Were you able to rectify your issue? Our dealer was no help when we reported it. When we take our unit out of storage, we are going to attempt to re-caulk on the inside of the shower to see if that helps.
Deebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
Handysam

Cougar 327 RES

We bought our 2011 327RES in October 2010. Happy to report that so far after about 8 trips out, 4 before we winterized and 4 this spring we have had only minor problems. I have managed to break the stupid lock on the closet door twice and I also broke the curtain bracket on the bottom of the curtain on the window at the landing.

We agree the awning is way too short, and was the one thing that had us considering a different make and model because we spend so much time outside. We haven't had much opportunity for the awning here yet and it has been very windy anyway. We will make do because we love the floor plan!

After reading so much negativity on this forum regarding Keystone service I was worried. So far it has been great and we bought from a GREAT local dealer.

Lauren
Old 04-05-2011, 02:53 AM   #16
MILBY

our 327

Picked up our 327 about a month ago, great layout. Just flushed out the antifreeze and found a few leaks, nothing big just a pain when you think that someone at the factory and someone at the dealer was supposed to check all of this
MILBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #17
dragon

Question

Please be easy on me first time here. I have a 2010 Cougar 327RES. Went camping over weekend had fun anyway got home went to open camper up kitchen and bedroom slide went out BUT mane would not move made the noise like it was but no go. My question is do you guys know if there is a way to manually open it up? and if so how? Thanks....
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:46 AM   #18
66ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Please be easy on me first time here. I have a 2010 Cougar 327RES. Went camping over weekend had fun anyway got home went to open camper up kitchen and bedroom slide went out BUT mane would not move made the noise like it was but no go. My question is do you guys know if there is a way to manually open it up? and if so how? Thanks....
Under the slide you will see a bell shaped stop that contacts the frame, loosen the lock nut and back it off the frame, you should now be able to open it. The manual opener is under the camper on the end of the motor for that slide. Mine had flaps you can remove to see them.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #19
smabernethy

2012 327res

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildogmom View Post
Any comments good or bad about the 327RES?
Picked ours up about 3 weeks ago..... 2 shake down cruises and no problems.... love the floor plan!!!

2012 Keystone Cougar 327res 5th Wheel
2006 F-350 Dually
smabernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #20
dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ken View Post
Under the slide you will see a bell shaped stop that contacts the frame, loosen the lock nut and back it off the frame, you should now be able to open it. The manual opener is under the camper on the end of the motor for that slide. Mine had flaps you can remove to see them.
Thank you very much. I saw that under there was not sure what it was for but I know now. I will be trying it this weekend. Again thank you..
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote