Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
arniez

Electrical outlets have no power

I have a 2015 Passport 2200RBWE. The outside electric outlet as well as 3 inside in a row outlets (over the sink and stove) have no power. No circuit breaker is tripped. It is not apparent which, if any, fuse goes to these outlets. The GFI in the bathroom is not tripped. Other outlets, as well as the microwave and TV are fine. Any thoughts before I bring it into a repair shop?

Thanks.
arniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
Hoodlatch

Did you check the GFCI outside to see it it is the culprit?

*edit- scratch that, I guess the outside outlet is GFCI protected in series, but not an actual GFCI.
Hoodlatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
drdarrin

The outlets you described should be downstream from the GFCI and I assume all were working at one point.

Assuming you have power into the GFCI box, If the GFCI is still working and the others are not, I’d check and make sure the GFCI is wired correctly, it’s not tripped (the reset button on some can be difficult to depress) and you don’t have a loose connection. Continue checking down stream for loose connections.

Assuming you have power into the GFCI box and the GFCI is reset and has power in but no power out, replace the GFCI.

If you have no power into the GFCI box, check your breakers (not fuses) and connections on that breaker.
drdarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:50 AM   #4
Retired Copper

Yep those outlets run threw the bathroom GFIC receptacle , and mine trip every time I unplug or plug into shore power. I might just put a new GFIC receptacle in the bathroom, but it is never used because bathroom is to small to really be using a hair dryer anyway. Not sure of amps used but you might replace with a 20 amp GFIC
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:23 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

The wiring is usually just pushed into the slots and not screwed to the receptacles. One may have vibrated out.

Let us know what you find. It'll help the next one in line.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:55 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

The outlets are similar to what are installed in mobile homes; just not as deep. The wires feed into the outlet and are pushed between a set of blades to make contact. This is done as it is far faster at a factory than stripping and screwing in the wires. Electricity vibrates a bit as it runs through wires and they can and do come out of the blades. I had this happen on a Sunnybrook travel trailer; the outlet that feeds the microwave up in a cabinet. Since I didn't know what was wrong, I first went to a hardware and bought a conventional electrical outlet and box and once I got the old outlet out, it was obvious the wires had just come out of the blades but I pulled the old box and installed a much deeper residential and hung it on the inside of the cabinet and screwed down the wires. Since you couldn't see it, it looked OK but if it happens in an outlet that you can see, you will have to use the old outlet or buy another RV outlet (shallow) which come in regular outlets and GFI.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:04 AM   #7
arniez

I have done all that has been suggested and at this point, nothing has worked. The best thing for me to do is to bite the bullet and take it into an RV repair shop.

Thanks for all your help.
arniez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, outlets, power