Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
5th Wheeling

Thumbs down Campground from Hell!

WORST experience we've had in a campground. This is in Twiltley Campgrounds in Collins Ms.
Thought I did my research before I paid for site. Don't ever take for granted you've
Chosen a campground with septic drainage. We should have left and lost our money when we arrived! They only had a dump station which was 1/2of a mile away. We paid for 4 days . We were not going to dump for probably 2 days, going straight home. We had a horrible experience trying to backing in. Their were trees where the awning would be pulled out & no room for rug to be put down. To make matters WORST they had 1potty bathroom for the patrons to use! Wash house was furthur down the road.

We had our own problems with fridge not getting cold or freezer freezing. It finally started working 12 hours later.
Folks next to us had loud music. Had no respect for other humans.It is now second day.
Had a great time at the Miss.Arts & Entertainment in Meridan, Ms.

Great RESTAURANT you all need to go is called
WEIDMAMNN'S IN MERIDAN, MS.
5th Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
notanlines

Keep in mind that most members here have never BEEN in Mississippi, much less will they ever go to this place. Continue your tirade in Trip Adviser and every other site that specializes in this type of place. Don't back up, don't be detracted, MAKE THEM BLEED!
Or, after a couple days have gone by and you've had a chance to think it over, THEN go online a report a very honest appraisal of your experience. And yes, it is okay if they bleed at least a little.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Wheeling View Post
WORST experience we've had in a campground. This is in Twiltley Campgrounds in Collins Ms.
Thought I did my research before I paid for site. Don't ever take for granted you've
Chosen a campground with septic drainage. We should have left and lost our money when we arrived! They only had a dump station which was 1/2of a mile away. We paid for 4 days . We were not going to dump for probably 2 days, going straight home. We had a horrible experience trying to backing in. Their were trees where the awning would be pulled out & no room for rug to be put down. To make matters WORST they had 1potty bathroom for the patrons to use! Wash house was furthur down the road.

We had our own problems with fridge not getting cold or freezer freezing. It finally started working 12 hours later.
Folks next to us had loud music. Had no respect for other humans.It is now second day.
Had a great time at the Miss.Arts & Entertainment in Meridan, Ms.

Great RESTAURANT you all need to go is called
WEIDMAMNN'S IN MERIDAN, MS.
I feel your pain. I've been in MS many times and really like it there...you have to know where you are going and getting into.

Seems to me the things you mentioned about the campground; only a dump station vs full septic, trying to back into a site, wash house down the road, only one "bathhouse" (I use the RV), site size/trees etc. really need to be ascertained before you get there by personal communication with the campground or satellite. If there is no septic connection it would have/should have been spelled out before you got there or determined in due diligence. Pull thru/back in, should not be a problem in a developed park except in some areas; provide your trailer length plus overall length and, if you are proficient at backing, it should not be a problem. I have been given sites that should not be available for a 60' setup but I can negotiate "stuff" generally; many cannot.

Loud music from the neighbors; that's why I speak and knock loudly - or refer to the campground host/management. Fridge/freezer not cooling...not sure why that's a knock on the campground.

It seems you are upset, and I understand, but, IMO many, if not most, of your complaints are either self generated or could have been avoided by due diligence or action on your part. Not trying to be critical but it's pretty harsh to really zip a campground when most everything I can see should have already been known. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:25 AM   #4
gearhead

Looks like its a COE campground. Some are great, some not so good. I imagine we have all stayed at places we won't return to. Sorta like the KOA in N. Little Rock for me.
I've had difficulty finding a decent 1 night stopover in that area. I'm headed up I-59 in a few weeks and am planning on an overnight at the county fairgrounds in Hattiesburg.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:14 AM   #5
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Looks like its a COE campground. Some are great, some not so good.
Out of curiosity I looked at the reviews. Can't really find a bad one if it's the COE park.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:27 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

The OP kind of missed the name of the campground and its location; is in Collinsville MS and name is Twiltley Branch COE. If he had done some research is campgroundreviews.com; THE most comprehensive RV park review site on the web, he would see that others disagree with his negative assessment AND they do mention no sewer system on that site.

Here is the link to that park:
ltley http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions...ranch-coe-1538

here is another review of the campground on another website:
https://www.campendium.com/twiltley-branch

Tripadvisor has gone from being a good source of info on camp grounds to making it almost impossible to find anything other than hotels as they have changed the orientation of their site to one peddling hotel rooms. Try to find a campground on tripadvisor these days. I am a Level 6 Reviewer with 99 reviews and those are mostly camp grounds and restaurants.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:57 AM   #7
John&Genny

Yep, I have to agree with others. You didn’t do your homework. I went to the website myself and it’t fairly easy to see by looking at the description of the sites and reading the section about ammenities that they only had a dump station. Almost all campgrounds that offer sewered sites will mention it as an ammenity. The campground seems highly rated for the most part. In looking at the sites, it seems they only have 5 pull-through sites, and the rest are “back ins”. Not sure if you tried to reserve one of the pull-throughs, but I would imagine you have to book those early.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:42 AM   #8
Bob Landry

I don't recall ever staying at a COE park that had sewer connections. The dump stations are always located in close proximity to the gate, and depending on the size of the park, you may be a ways from it.
That said, the COE parks I've stayed in in Texas are very well maintained, and my choice is there over any Texas State Park hands down. My NP Senior pass gets me a site for half price and that can not be beat anywhere.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #9
Old Mustanger

I know of at least 1 COE CG in Texas that has some full hook-up sites...Oak Park, Navarro Mills sites 9 thru 14 have sewer, but only 30A Electric. We consider this place our "Home" CG, it was the first place we camped at with our first TT 10 years ago and we go at least 2 times a year.

also love the senior pass, just booked 4 nights at a COE park in OK for $40.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
5th Wheeling

Campground from Hell

Thank you all for your input. We will certainly do our homework when we go on our next trip! We did enjoy our trip to Ms. Arts & Entertainment (max museum) in Meridan, Ms. I will CERTAINLY add trip advisor about this campground!
5th Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Anyone know of a MAPPED list of COE parks in Texas? The govt recreation.gov site lists them all but doesn't list nearest town near as I can tell.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #12
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Anyone know of a MAPPED list of COE parks in Texas? The govt recreation.gov site lists them all but doesn't list nearest town near as I can tell.
I think there was a map link in the recreation.gov site at one time not too long ago. I can't find it anymore. I usually look on Google map, street view, and look for green "spots", indicating a park. Sometimes I can figure out where they're talking about from the list, but it sure is frustrating.
edit add....there is a small map on the recreation.gov page but I can't make it large enough to use.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #13
Old Mustanger

There is a book that lists all of the COE parks in the US by state. I can't find my copy at the moment but I thinks its title is Camping with the Corps.

Edit: Found the book, complete title is Camping with the Corps of Engineers. Each state has a map showing lake locations, look up the lake by number and any parks surrounding it are listed with amenities, prices and directions from nearest town. Very handy book, can't remember if I got it from Amazon or Camping World.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #14
travelin texans

Go to campgroundreviews.com, its usually very accurate on park conditions. Some of the reviews you have to shake your head at; i.e. "gave the park 1 star because they didn't have FREE dog poop bags", "gave the park 1 star because the FREE WiFi was very weak, couldn't stream movies", both of those said "we camped there in a motorhome". Most of the reviews are honest & helpful when looking for decent parks.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground