Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
mike&jenny

Water leaking in from under regrigerator/furnace area.

We camped for the first time in the rain this weekend since we bought our Passport 3180RE. Water was running under the sink in the bathroom from beneath the refrigerator. At first I thought a water line was leaking, but I checked it after using the sink and several showers. No water. Then this morning my daughter got up to use the bathroom and there was water on the floor. It had rained again overnight.

Has anyone had problems with water coming in from the refrigerator or furnace area from outside?
mike&jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
campingcpl

We had a similiar issue with our trailer. When it would rain hard we would have water around the base of the fridge and on the kitchen counter top. What we found out on ours is that the water was coming in from a bad seal on the kitchen window and then running down the wall and coming out under the fridge and furnace area. I caulked the window and haven't had any issue since. You also might want to check the caulking around the furnace and fridge vents or any outdoor outlets. I found some of the caulk around these to have some gaps and recaulked them at the same time just to be on the safe side.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

One obvious "leak" that you didn't mention checking is the refrigerator drain hose. There is a condensation pan in the coils on the rear of the refrigerator, attached to that pan is a white (or possibly black) corregated hose about 1/2" in diameter. It should be connected to the drain pan and routed out one of the vent slots on the lower refrigerator vent cover. Often, in maintenance/delivery inspections, that hose slips out of the vent and if it's not reinstalled, it will drip a significant amount of water during high humidity conditions (like on rainy days) which will usually find its way to the RV interior.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
CampaKev

Water leaking into the areas around the furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike&jenny View Post
We camped for the first time in the rain this weekend since we bought our Passport 3180RE. Water was running under the sink in the bathroom from beneath the refrigerator. At first I thought a water line was leaking, but I checked it after using the sink and several showers. No water. Then this morning my daughter got up to use the bathroom and there was water on the floor. It had rained again overnight.

Has anyone had problems with water coming in from the refrigerator or furnace area from outside?
I have the same issue with my 2012 Passport 3180RE. Water leaks onto the floor around the furnace which is located under the refrigerator. The water then runs out and around the corner and into the bathroom. The water is not condensation from the refrigerator as it has been off for about one month. Also, there is no plumbing adjacent to the furnace where the water pools and then runs off. I have examined it closely and it appears as if the water is leaking in from the refrigerator roof vent. The trailer is still under warranty so I have taken it to my local Keystone dealer for repair. Judging by water marks on the inside of the cabinet surrounding the furnace, it has been leaking for a while. Much of the wood surrounding the furnace will need to be replaced. This is the second water leak in this trailer. The first was in the couch / dinette slide. It was also repaired under warranty. The technician found a three inch gap where sealing tape used to seal the slide roof was missing. It apparently was left off at the factory. When I learn the actual cause of the water leak around the furnace I will update all of you. If anyone else has a similar leak please let us know. Your information could help me to help the technicians find the leak. Thank you.
CampaKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #5
Bob Landry

A gas absorption fridge isn't going to collect condensate. There is a drain hose from the fridge, but mine runs outside through the exterior vent. I suspect the water is coming in through a bad seal. You would do well to check all of the caulking on windows and doors. Keystone does a very poor job of this. I had to reseal my pass-through doors on my Outback. If I pressed on the fiberglass wall just a little, the sealant would pull away from the wall surface. I keep my trailer in covered storage, but I still check regularly. Once water starts getting in and delamination starts, it's tough to get under control, and if left alone long enough, can turn into a pretty expensive fix.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
Movin' on

On our Cougar I discovered that a screw had pulled loose that held the refridgerator vent down to the roof which created a wide crack in the sealant. Luckily I caught this before there was any water damage. It is quite possible that the same thing has happened to your Passport.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
dwright

As Bob stated, the leak is due to a bad seal. I had this issue with my Outback and went thru everything before I found the problem. Check the seal on the inside of the fridge outside wall vent, access panel. Ours was pooling water inside this and leaking down the back wall. Lots of clauking inside the access panel to seal it up. No leaks since
dwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
mike&jenny

When we took it back to the dealer, they siliconed around the refrigerator vent on the outside wall, inside the vent, and around the outside shower. Not sure which fixed it but we didn't have anymove leaks. It been in our building since November so hopefully it won't leak this spring when we go again.
mike&jenny is offline   Reply With Quote