Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #1
kurbach

Floor Repair

Hi,

I have been using a 2018 Passport Ultra-lite Grand touring 3320 BH for 1 yr. Recently, at the end of this past season I noticed a soft spot in the floor in the aft bunkhouse and come to find out it was a manufacturing defect. Have been told by not only the dealership but other maintenance centers elsewhere that it is a known issue for the yr and model camper i have.

They tried to give me a "dealer assist" (8700) but felt it was not enough since the value of our went down by 13K in a yr. I did try and get a little more but have not herd back from the dealer and now I am in the process of talking to Keystone on sending it back to the Keystone in Indiana.

My frustrations are that I have contacted Keystone multiple time with the "promise" of getting a call back, nothing yet and it has been 2.5 weeks. Thanks Dave S. for that!!

Now, has anyone else had this issue; what is the repair time to replace the entire floor (was told 6-8 wks); and why has no one at keystone called me to answer any questions have in this whole process?

All my answers are coming from "ASSUMPTIONS" from the call center and any one else that can not give me specifics. Any idea on the total cost on the process? Just a few question that have gone unanswered.

Thank you for your time, if anyone has had this problem please let me know, what you had done to alleviate the situation/ frustrations...
kurbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
Tbos

Hope it gets worked out satisfactorily for you.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

First of all, Welcome to the forum. We are a group of Keystone owners and "wanna-bee's" that spend time on the internet asking/answering questions, trying to help each other and "noobies" who join the group. None of us "work for Keystone", Keystone doesn't monitor this forum, in the past 6 years, Keystone has never answered any question or made any comment on this forum. Nobody that works for or that is associated with Keystone is a member (as far as I know and I've got access to all of that kind of information).

So, what you'll get here is support, suggestions and experiences from members who have had dealings with Keystone and various dealerships throughout North America. Keep in mind that what happens at one dealership may well not ever happen at another dealership, even if they are both in the same town. Each dealership is independent and does not "answer to Keystone" but rather is a "sales/service agent" that sells/services Keystone trailers. When you contact Keystone, their first recommendation is to tell you that you need to contact "YOUR" dealer and report the problem. While Goshen's customer service agent will smile, offer empathy, tell you he understands your problem, he is not in any position to offer a resolution. That must be reported to the factory by the dealership.

There are several threads on the forum addressing similar issues. Some members report that Keystone refused to help them, others report that Keystone offered to buy back their trailer and trade them into another unit. Most fall somewhere between those two extremes. Where you'll "fit" ??? That's anybody's guess, because none of us here have the facts (all the facts) about what happened, how long you've had your trailer, past maintenance, when the problem was reported, what has been done to the trailer, how it was reported to Keystone (if they said you wrecked it, you'll get a totally different response than if they report it as a factory defect).... In other words, what they tell Keystone is more important than anything else, and Keystone will respond based on the dealer's assessment of what happened, what needs repair and how much (if any) the factory will assist.

Your best bet at this point is to contact the dealership, discuss the problems, and work with them to obtain Keystone's help in resolving your problem. You won't resolve anything by demanding things on the phone either with the dealer or with Keystone. Cooperative discussion, understanding, good communications and keeping written records of everything that's said, done, promised or denied will help you through with a positive result.

As for money, value, $8700 vs 9300 vs 11300 doesn't mean much by itself other than being a number. What you paid, the current value, depreciation and the balance on your loan, when compared to any "offers" will help you determine whether it's a fair offer or an unfair one.

What has your dealership done to help you and what are their current recommendations?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:29 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Instead of calling, email. That way you have a paper trail with who, what, and when you wrote with someone.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #5
kurbach

I purchased it 1 yr ago, so essentially it is 1 yr old. Found the soft spot at the end of our season (October). Dealership has made it seem that Keystone was taking care of the customers this problem effected, but I have not seen it.

My frustration is that I have not been able to get a hold of the right people at Keystone, just the customer service dept. Now I am talking with the scheduling dept. to have them take it back for a major repair. It was just outside the warranty but Keystone already admitted that it was a defect in the manufacturing process and outside the owners responsibility for repair. No accidents, no damage to the exterior walls or flooring. The damage resides between the flooring (Luan, Styrofoam (wet), and Luan.) Now that the colder weather has hit the floor is worse than before..
kurbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #6
Bampie

We own a 2017 Keystone Passport Elite 31Re and had floor problems in the bathroom. Apparently a toilet flange was defective and the water damaged the subfloor under the vinyl flooring. Long process but we eventually had it repaired by our dealer, under warranty from Keystone. They didn't lift the whole floor but cut a transition strip between the bathroom and bedroom. All appears fine now but we were less than pleased with discussions concerning warranty and customer service. Good luck!
Bampie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with the comments that have been made. The dealer is the proper path. To Keystone you are a minnow in an ocean of fish. To your dealer, you are a fish in a pond. Document everything. If you have a phone conversation follow it up with a email of a sort like "As a follow up per our phone conversation we agreed that....". If you don't have their email then start a journal with date, time, and what was said. Before ending a conversation get the other party to agree upon the date and preferably time of the next correspondence. Good luck with your resolution.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
German Shepherd Guy

John: your reply is spot on. Kurbach, in my short time on this list I have come to really respect the opinions of the senior members. I think John's reasoned, calm voice is the way to go. Through your dealer. Seems like they are the ones should be arranging things for you with Keystone, and a calm, but persistent approach, with the e-mail back up outlining what was said will have the best chance of getting the job done. The combine thoughts here are for you to have a good resolution. Please keep us informed. Good luck.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I get "long winded" in my responses and very often don't say all that I think is important in one post. It's not because I didn't think of it, forgot it or thought about it later... It's usually because I realize that by the time someone reads a lengthy post, adding another important issue at the end will usually go either unread, unheeded or ignored....

So, to add to my previous post, consider this. If you have a 1 year old Chevy truck, a Ford Truck or a RAM truck and you have a problem with it that you think should be covered by warranty and you take it to the dealership for repair, they agree with you and tell you that it is covered and that they will schedule it for repair. Would you then start calling Chevy/Ford/RAM customer service trying to resolve the issue????

Sometimes (no really most times) it's best to let the dealership do what you paid them to do when you bought the trailer. Let them work the problem, don't "muddy the water" by calling Keystone and making things either more confusing or possible screwing up the dealer's negotiations with the factory warranty section.....

As an example, if the dealership has Keystone's agreement to repair the trailer and they have already ordered parts that Keystone is processing for the floor repair and you happen to mention some water damage on the wall. The factory is likely going to stop processing the claim until the dealer confirms what you said.... It may well be that the reason the dealer didn't add that damage to the claim is because they already have the parts to repair it and knew that Keystone did not have any wallboard in stock, so adding it would delay the shipment from Keystone, delay the approval pending added reports and make your dealer's job more difficult after he had it all planned, scheduled and parts ordered or on hand to finish the job.....

So, your best bet, in my opinion, is to let the dealership do what they were paid to do. If, after they mess it up or if they drop the ball, then resolve it with the dealership owner. If that fails, then AS A LAST RESORT, contact Keystone. Calling Keystone prior to "the absolute need" is risking messing up what the dealership is working with the factory. Sometimes, just being patient and letting the system work is best. When dealing with RV factories, that approach is "a golden guppy" in a "lead filled fish tank"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #10
Robert Campbell

I am sorry to hear about your floor problems. I had an awning issue earlier this summer about one week before the 1 year warranty expired on our 2018 328RE Outback. I contacted the dealership and was told I needed to handle it with Keystone. My wife is retired and enjoys a challenge. She began the process of calling Keystone. She informed them she was recording the conversations. On her first attempt, the person she talked with said she would talk with her manager and email a response. Of course when the email came it said they were not responsible so she called again and got a different person. This time she told the young lady to share with her manager that she was contacting the Better Business Bureau and she needed the name of the manufacturer of the star washer that failed on the awning unit so she could include that company when talking with BBB. She also told them she had contacted a local attorney regarding warranty litigation. In the end, two new awning arms were mailed to our dealership for installation and we did not pay for the arms or installation.
Robert Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:39 AM   #11
capnkirk4

Go to one of the RV magazines and contact their staff. They go after issues like this. I did a PM on FB threatening to send my post public if they didn't resolve my issues. They got back to me immediately. You can also go to the head of customer service or Corp HQ of Keystone. They really don't like bad press.
capnkirk4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor