Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
slow

Spread Axle Cushioned Equalizer

I have been contemplating installing the 314336 Lippert Equa-Flex Spread Equalizer Bar for 5.2K Axles (42 inch wide axle spacing) from eTrailer for some time. (http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ht=spread+axle)

I bit the bullet three weeks ago and ordered the equalizers. They were out of stock and they finally arrived today. Interestingly, the date of manufacture is 2/2016. I therefore suspect eTrailer does not stock the product but rather brings them in from Lippert only when they are ordered. Or Lippert made a batch in February and is sitting on some inventory.

I was somewhat disappointed with the workmanship and condition of the equalizers. They must have been assembled when the paint was still wet, the paint was touched up and flaking in many places from being knocked around. But the most significant issue was that two of the "levers" were locked and would not rotate since too many washers were stacked on two of the pivot bolts.

I spent this evening dismantling and rebuilding the equalizers to what they should have been from the factory / eTrailer. On a positive note, all bushings were bronze not nylon. But another negative was that the rubber blocks were butchered and none were the same shape where they were trimmed meaning that they all protruded out different amounts from the equalizer frame. I trimmed three larger blocks to the same size as the smallest rubber block, removed the extra washer on two of the pivot bolts, scraped the loose paint off, greased the bushing in the levers next to the rubber block, then replaced the lock nuts during reassembly since they were over tightened and no longer locked. The equalizers now look closer to what I would have expected to receive less the missing patches of paint on the underside.

I hope to beat the heat and start the install early tomorrow morning. An update will follow.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:54 AM   #2
slow

They took 3 hours to install including hooking up, getting tools out, lifting TT one side at a time and then packing the tools away when done. Did not remove wheels so that saved time. Only issue is that I had to ream the ID of one of the top pressed in bushings so the wet bolt would fit.

Also found that the flanged lock nuts on the wet bolts are not reusable if the lock feature is desired. Replaced those I had to remove with new flanged lock nuts.

TT gained 1/2 inch in height.

The first test will be a 2,000 road trip starting this weekend.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 07-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
Jim & DJ

Good job. Torque the wheel nuts and enjoy.....
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #4
slow

We just made our first 250 miles on the cushioned equalizer. Do not feel as much harshness going over rail road tracks, bridge joints and concrete joints. Incremental improvement and only part of the upgrade to make it ride right. Shocks are on order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 08-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
capnkirk4

Mor/Ryde CRE3000 on a 2016 Keystone Bullet RLS269?

I have been told by morryde that if my travel trailer has a "wide trax spread axle" the above will not work. Does anyone know for sure?
capnkirk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
slow

Spread Axle Cushioned Equalizer

Not sure how Morryde would know if "the above will not work" since they do not offer one for 42" spread axles. The only one available that I am aware of is the Equa-Flex by Lippert that I installed. Morryde may be saying so since they do not have a product for the 42" spread axle. Or they are saying their current Morryde CREx000 products will not work on 42" spread axles, which is true.

Does the Equa-Flex work? Yes, but it is not the magic bullet on its own. With shocks and a wet bolt kit, it provides a smoother ride of the TT and TV. Wet bolt kit provides free motion of components, shocks dampen sudden suspension movement as well smoothens out washboard and the cushioned equalizer takes out the harshness of irregularities in the road surface.

I purchased mine from etrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Sus.../LC314336.html

BTW: I should have also mentioned that balancing the TT wheels is also an important component to taming the ride of the TT and TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 08-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk4 View Post
I have been told by morryde that if my travel trailer has a "wide trax spread axle" the above will not work. Does anyone know for sure?
You can verify all of the information on trailer suspension requirements for proper fitment of the CRE3000 system here: http://www.morryde.com/uploads/downl...on%20Guide.pdf

The Frame Hanger Space (FHS) is listed in step 8. The CRE3000 will work with a FHS of 58 7/8" or 60 3/4". If your FHS is longer or shorter than these two measurements, then the CRE3000 won't fit your trailer....

As a note, I've never seen the CRE3000 on a wide spread axle trailer. I'm sure someone has modified their springs or modified their spring hangers to "make it fit" but it's not a standard build or a "bolt on" installation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
capnkirk4

thanks, I sent a pic of my suspension to morryde earlier.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Good move. Let us know what they tell you because I'm guessing somebody else will ask the same question in the future.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #10
mfifield01

Any update on information from Morryde? I have about 9500 miles on my TT and have been thinking about doing the wet bolt kit. I was thinking some type of dampening in there would be nice, but not sure if it's worth it.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #11
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
Any update on information from Morryde? I have about 9500 miles on my TT and have been thinking about doing the wet bolt kit. I was thinking some type of dampening in there would be nice, but not sure if it's worth it.
Just as a FYI, since this question was asked (albeit a bit ago) Mor-Ryde still doesn't have a system for the spread axles as of March 2019. I talked to them, they have a kit "in development" on a test trailer, with still no ETA as to release.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #12
capnkirk4

Morryde 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk4 View Post
thanks, I sent a pic of my suspension to morryde earlier.
I never heard back from them.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #13
capnkirk4

Thumbs up Equa-Flex cushioned Equalizers

This looks like a good solution as far as I can tell.