Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
Lola511

Unhappy Dimming of Lights

I need assistance, Please! I have checked the battery - all is tight and water level if full. Battery was checked and is giving out proper amps - yet I still have the dimming of lights. Is it my converter? If so, how do I find a person that makes house calls? I don't have the ability to tow the camper anywhere.
I have a 2008 Everest, 345S.
Thanks!
Lola511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

How did you check the amps of your battery????
It is somewhat normal for the lights to dim and brighten as the converter comes on and off. The greater the load (more lights) the more apparent it will be. If you are on the original battery it may be time for a new one. Look in the phone book (if you can still find one) for a mobile RV repair service. The office at your CG should be able to help. Or Google ... mobile RV repair,New Mexico ..... for several choices.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
KanTC

Lola511,

Hank offered some good thoughts/suggestions, and if you don't mind me asking: Where are you located?
There are a few NM members on the forum, and someone might be able to suggest a Mobile Repair, if needed.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
gwperkins

I Bet it's the Convertor

Had to replace ours on our 2012 Alpine 3450RL 3 months after we got the rig. It started as lights dimming then brightening real noticeably and then morphed into a stead (albeit dim) state. When I checked the Battery, it was down to 9 volts ... at which time I placed our automobile charger on the battery and got it back up to full charge and maintained a trickle until we could get the charger replaced. Now, withthe new charger, there is no flickering and I can not even hear the charger when it cycles ... plus the battery is fully charged all the time.

Good luck,
Glenn
gwperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Bob Landry

There is no way to check the amp output of a battery except to put a load on it and measure current with a clamp-on meter.
The battery can be load tested by charging it for 24 hrs,, allowing it to "rest" for a day and then tested with a resistive load tester.

That said, disconnect the battery or turn it off at the switch so you know it's out of the picture. If you still get flickering or dimming on the interior lights, then you have a bad converter, but you need to positively eliminate the battery to check it because a battery with a weak cell can cause the converter to act up.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
bdgmbdgm

Hi,

Had the same problem with the dimming of the lights. they would go from bright to dim again and again. Had to replace the coverter as it was going bad. I would replace it now, before it completley fails.
bdgmbdgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Mike L123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola511 View Post
I need assistance, Please! I have checked the battery - all is tight and water level if full. Battery was checked and is giving out proper amps - yet I still have the dimming of lights. Is it my converter? If so, how do I find a person that makes house calls? I don't have the ability to tow the camper anywhere.
I have a 2008 Everest, 345S.
Thanks!
Hi! Your converter is giving up the ghost. Depending on where your converter is located and your mechanical/electrical aptitude, this really isn't a hard job to do. However, if you are even the slightest bit uncertain about the task than you really have no choice except to find a mobile tech to remove and replace your converter for you. Depending on what the existing converter is (mfr., amps output, etc) your replacement part is likely, and I'm guessing, in the $300.00 range. I just replaced my brothers WFCO 55 amp converter and the new one cost $285.00 plus taxes. Mind you we did purchase this from an RV repair shop instead of online . It takes about an hour to complete the job and test the output. As always, YMMV.

Cheers!

Mike
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote