Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2019, 06:30 AM   #1
jsmith948

Valve stems

About 20K miles ago, we replaced the tires on the TV with Michelin Defenders - load range E - that we inflate to 75psi front and 80psi rear. We purchased the tires at Costco. Asked their tire shop to install new valve stems as well.

After having put about 10K miles on the new tires, we had just pulled into a campground when we heard a loud "pop" akin to the sound of someone running over an empty water bottle.
Upon inspection, found a split valve stem on the truck. Had the stem replaced at a tire shop in town and had the other three stems checked (wiggled, twisted and visually inspected), all seemed to be good. We wrote the split stem off as an anomaly or perhaps a stone/road hazard damage. We completed our trip without further incident.

A couple of days ago, driving home from town with the empty TV, we got a low air warning. Turned out to be another split valve stem. Took the truck down to the Ford Quick Lane service center and had all of the valve stems changed out with OEM stems. The tech there showed me the stems they removed. The stems that Costco used were not rated for high pressure. Needless to say, we will not be doing any more business with Costco's tire shop. Better to spend a little more per tire at a real tire shop where they will install the proper valve stems. If you have tires installed at Costco - be advised

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

That's why I have mentioned get full steel stems on any vehicle carrying a heavy load. I had same thing happen to me back in 2006, 1 blew at freeway speed the other has I drove into a fuel station. Here they are about 8 bucks each. I put them on the trailer wheels a week after after brought it home.
The rubber type split and rip at the base before they rot out. Also not real good with TPMS. I got the full steel stems they have a nut on the inside and rubber washers against the wheel on both sides. I did change the truck stems out after about 5 years , only thinking about the rubber washers may crack after time. Not sure if that might happen,but cheap insurance against it when buying new tires.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
... If you have tires installed at Costco - be advised...
Do you have evidence that every Costco installation will have this problem?

Could this be a single error on their part?

What did Costco say when you talked to them about the problem?

Should this be more of a general heads up when buying tires from a location that may not typically work with specific tire applications?
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #4
daveinaz

I guess I'm leery of getting specialty tire work done at places like Sam's, Costco, etc. When I was looking at getting extended valve stems put on our dually, Discount Tire would install them for free if I brought them in since the tire were originally purchased from them. But while researching it, I read too many stories of things going wrong when work on done by big box shops that do mainly passenger car stuff. So I went to a place that specializes in RV and truck tires. It cost a more but I am much more comfortable with the work that was done.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
travelin texans

Never should've had rubber valve stems on dually wheels to begin with. Both dually I've had were metal stems from the factory.
When you ask that stems be replaced did you specify metal stems?
Sounds like they did as you ask!
Appears you didn't inspect before driving away!
Receive no compensation from nor have ever bought tires from Costco, not even a member, just my opinion.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Never should've had rubber valve stems on dually wheels to begin with. Both dually I've had were metal stems from the factory.
When you ask that stems be replaced did you specify metal stems?
Sounds like they did as you ask!
Appears you didn't inspect before driving away!
Receive no compensation from nor have ever bought tires from Costco, not even a member, just my opinion.
SRW. Asked for high pressure stems
Checked that new stems were installed. No way to verify whether or not they were high pressure. Made the mistake of trusting them to install what customer asked for.
Wondering why the snarky response.
Having a bad day?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 03-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Jack,

If I remember correctly, the 2011 F250 has the same TPMS sending units incorporated in the valve stems as does the 2015 F250?????

If yours are like mine, the TPMS sending unit and the valve stem are a single unit. On some of the older "ring style" TPMS systems, the valve stem was separate, but the newer style aren't. I wonder is they installed new TPMS sensors and used the car type rather than the truck type ???

On some TPMS sensors the valve stem is replaceable, but I don't think our truck type is included. The P/N for the valve stem is 9L3Z-1700-A

The TPMS sensor for the F250 is P/N 9L3Z-1A189-A
The one for cars and SUV's is P/N BB5Z-1A189-A

As I understand it, the truck model (heavy duty one) can be used on cars, but the SUV model (light duty one) can not be used on trucks.

I wonder if COSTCO might have used the light duty ones on your truck rather than using the HD type??? They look the same and AFAIK cost the same.

Might be a common mistake at many locations not just COSTCO ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Jack,

If I remember correctly, the 2011 F250 has the same TPMS sending units incorporated in the valve stems as does the 2015 F250?????

If yours are like mine, the TPMS sending unit and the valve stem are a single unit. On some of the older "ring style" TPMS systems, the valve stem was separate, but the newer style aren't. I wonder is they installed new TPMS sensors and used the car type rather than the truck type ???

On some TPMS sensors the valve stem is replaceable, but I don't think our truck type is included. The P/N for the valve stem is 9L3Z-1700-A

The TPMS sensor for the F250 is P/N 9L3Z-1A189-A
The one for cars and SUV's is P/N BB5Z-1A189-A

As I understand it, the truck model (heavy duty one) can be used on cars, but the SUV model (light duty one) can not be used on trucks.

I wonder if COSTCO might have used the light duty ones on your truck rather than using the HD type??? They look the same and AFAIK cost the same.

Might be a common mistake at many locations not just COSTCO ???
Thanks for the response and the part numbers. The stems are separate. Ford tells me that all metal stems are not available for these alloy wheels. Comparing the oem stems Ford installed to the stems Costco had installed, the oem stems have a much thicker grommet and the entire stem thicker.
I think Costco simply installed the wrong stems.
The intent of my post was simply a heads up. Apologies to anyone offended.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 03-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the response and the part numbers. The stems are separate. Ford tells me that all metal stems are not available for these alloy wheels. Comparing the oem stems Ford installed to the stems Costco had installed, the oem stems have a much thicker grommet and the entire stem thicker.
I think Costco simply installed the wrong stems.
The intent of my post was simply a heads up. Apologies to anyone offended.
First, apologies are not necessary when giving a "heads up" on a problem you faced. Thanks for the information that may help someone else !!!

As for the valve stems, it sounds like you've already had your Ford service department fix the problem. From what you said, it sounds like COSTCO buys what they use most, SUV valve stems, and when you came in with your truck, they installed what they had on the shelf. Probably a common mistake that's made by a lot of "not in the know" tire installers, not just at COSTCO, but possibly at any place that doesn't do a lot of truck tire installations.

I know I'll sure be verifying what goes onto my truck based on your post and I appreciate you taking the time to let us all know.

ADDED: Your statement that Ford said they do not have "all metal valve stems" for the TPMS system is likely one of the reasons that Ford's dually models don't have a TPMS capability ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
SRW. Asked for high pressure stems
Checked that new stems were installed. No way to verify whether or not they were high pressure. Made the mistake of trusting them to install what customer asked for.
Wondering why the snarky response.
Having a bad day?
Having a great day!!
Wasn't intended to be snarky!
Someone on always uses the term "trust, but verify" which is what my post was intended to mean.
I don't have a Ford, but don't think the stems would that much different than my GM models, one had steel wheels the other had aluminum & it was totally obvious the difference between metal & rubber valve stems.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-22-2019, 06:39 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

I think the "heads up" is warranted and appreciated.

To me, when having tires etc. worked on/analyzed/replaced etc. the last place I would go for installation of the proper components is Costco, Sam's, Walmart etc. Most of those folks have zero idea of intracacies of how they work or what is required. Never have, and won't, do it....but that's just me.

As far as Discount Tire, they have been the most knowledgeable folks I've worked with when dealing with tires on my trucks and SUVs. My local tire shop is too but when they charge $348 for a Michelin Defender vs $200 (after discounts) at Discount Tire I'll drive the 60 miles to get to my Discount Tire shop. I'm sure the operation of the stores would vary depending on location. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
Ken / Claudia

Regarding my earlier post, I forgot about what John mentioned. Factory TPMS, The stems I listed may not work with them. When I go to the local shop, I am going to ask. If there available to work on my 2013, I will do it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #13
Frank G

You need to go back to Costco and let them know what went wrong, they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, you will get money back. Ask to speak with the tire manager and ask for an explanation, be civil. Lack of training, or incompetence can occur in any shop, big or small. The manager needs to know, he is the only one that can fix the problem.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #14
retiredusps69

Check out Tire Rack and look under Valve Stems. You will be shocked there are so many types.I don't think Costco does that many Truck tire installs.
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #15
Frank G

Costco has a menu list for each vehicle listing the approved tire (tires) for the specific vehicle along with valve stem requirements and torque specifications. They are not allowed to mount (install) anything not in the menu guide. All the franchise stores follow same procedures for Safety and insurance requirements.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:32 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Costco has a menu list for each vehicle listing the approved tire (tires) for the specific vehicle along with valve stem requirements and torque specifications. They are not allowed to mount (install) anything not in the menu guide. All the franchise stores follow same procedures for Safety and insurance requirements.
Frank,

Thinking "outside the box" for a minute. That may very well be COSTCO's rules and regulations.... Doesn't mean that whoever re-stocked the valve stem benchstock last time managed to get the correct part number valve stems in the correct bin.... Being the "devil's advocate", a busy worker, ready to leave gets told to "go put these in the valve stem bins" and is handed two plastic bags with 25 valve stems in each bag..... Well, it's Friday, I just got my check, the bank closes in 15 minutes and my girlfriend is waiting outside. So, "Wham/bam and I'm outta here"....

Any business is only as good as it's lowest paid employee....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-23-2019, 09:52 PM   #17
travelin texans

Click image for larger version

Name:	51WIAfQVseL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	21020

Name:	s-l400.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	21021
Visual differences.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-23-2019, 10:23 PM   #18
CWtheMan

USTMA

"Bolt-in (clamp-in) metal valve stems are recommended for RV applications. They must be used when valve extensions are installed because the extra weight of the extension or hose can distort rubber stems and ultimately cause loss of inflation."

"Metal valve caps with rubber seals are recommended for RV applications due to generally higher operating pressures."
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
NONE of those will work on a FORD truck with the OEM TPMS system. There are two "types" of replacement valve stems for this style TPMS device. One is "light duty" and one is "heavy duty". BOTH look very similar and there are no visible markings on the stem to differentiate the "duty type". There is NO steel stem available for this style TPMS sensor. They look like this
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FORD TPMS.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	21037  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #20
Tireman9

Ford OE Tpms would require Ford replacement parts. Is this something Costco would stock?

RV trailer and aftermarket screw on TPM sensor are different story. Metal (brass or nickleplated brass) are recommended in all RV application and especially when inflation exceeds 65 psi or whenever external extender hose or external TPM sensors are used.

I have a number of posts on my blog on valves, valve core, caps and why they can fail. Even one with the torque specs for the bolt in metal stems and even the torque for valve core.