Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
daveinaz

Caulk shower enclosure? 2008 Montana

We spent a lot of time cleaning this weekend, specifically the shower enclosure. I found that the shower wall panels are loose at the top and not caulked. It looks like they were originally fastened to the wall with foam tape? I was thinking that I should put some liquid nail or something behind the panels and then caulk the top of it where it meets the wall, but on another forum I read that these panels were meant to be loose to compensate for the flexing of the walls when traveling. If that's true, then should I just get some more double-sided foam tape and get it behind the panels? Or should I secure the panel to the wall and also caulk the top where it meets the wall?

I also need to clean and recaulk where these panels and shower door assembly meet the top of the tub -- just use tub and tile caulk so it doesn't mildew?

Thanks.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The panels do flex during towing and that may be the reason the original foam tape failed. Using liquid nails or another "permanent adhesive" may cause the luan behind the shower panels to separate, causing even more "inconsequential damage"...

You might consider using "double sided foam tape" or you might consider trying to find a matching color "vinyl J molding strip" and mount it at the top edge of the shower walls. If you can find a suitable molding strip, it would hold the panel closer to the luan wall, seal the top edge so it doesn't leak and still allow the panel to move/flex when towing without pulling it away from the wall.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana