Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
superdog404
Gone Traveling

318sab Gas Water Heater

I have been trying to figure out how to get the gas water heater working on our new 2013 318sab. I, through reading here figured out the electric side of it but can not get the gas. I thought I understood what the service guy said but I most have missed something. This fifth wheel has the electronic control panel.

Thanks for the help superdog404
superdog404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Roller4Tan

Does the ignitor try to light the heater? Look in the burner tube and make sure there is a gap between the ignitor tip and the tube. If the ignitor works, then you may need to take the gas tube off and visually inspect inside for spider webs (they love the gas odor). I had to flush mine out with water and air to clear it (after I took it off). Also, with a cold tank, check for continuity across the thermostat terminals under the rubber plugs. There should be a switch on your control panel inside the trailer with a red light next to it. If you flip the switch the red light should come on until the heater lights then the red light will go out. If the red light comes on or stays on then the heater isn't working, cycle the switch to tri again/
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog404 View Post
I have been trying to figure out how to get the gas water heater working on our new 2013 318sab. I, through reading here figured out the electric side of it but can not get the gas. I thought I understood what the service guy said but I most have missed something. This fifth wheel has the electronic control panel.

Somewhere inside your trailer there is a wall switch with a red light that says something like WHTR. (It may just have a symbol of a flame) Turning that switch on will heat the water with propane. You should hear the heater click several times and than ignite. You may have to try a few times to purge the air out of the gas line if you have not been using any gas appliances.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
outwest

Might also want to check flame color on water heater if it's the first time you've ever used the gas to heat it. Should be a nice blue color. If not, you'll need to adjust. Instructions are in your RV manual. Mine was way out of adjustment is reason I mention it.

edit to add: here's a video of adjusting flame on hot water heater http://vehicle-maintenance.wonderhow...heater-291289/

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:10 AM   #5
superdog404
Gone Traveling

Thanks for some answers guys. However I have looked all over for the switch with a red light and haven't found it. Our last trailer had the switch/light so I know what it is. I thought maybe it had something to do with the electronic control and that is why I haven't found it. I will have to get in touch with the dealer tomorrow,
Old 11-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
americanrascal

Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog404 View Post

We picked up our 2013 318 SAB 2 months ago. Here are a few ideas, some of which may be listed before this so here goes, and I am sure you have covered most of this yourself already. If you have the electric element in the tank working already with plenty of hot water the gas side won't kick on until the tank demands the supplemental assistance for the gas. I am unclear if you have the electric side operating and have hot water already or not.

1. LP Gas tank has fuel and valves (tank and regulator on passenger side tank) turned to on position.

2. Hot water Tank is full of water

3. On master panel by door the hot water activation pressure switch is in the on position.

4. The tank has an electric element also with a small switch behind the water tank access panel door. If the rig is plugged in and the switch is in the on position it is already heating the tank- probably satisfying any need for gas heat (Be sure this switch is in the off position when not using the unit or when the tank is empty, or if you only want to use gas heat?)

5 If the Electric heating element is or has been on and the water is already hot the gas heating side if the tank will not come on until water temps in the tank demand the supplemental heating.

6. If the water is cold and the gas heat will still not ignite there may be air in the gas lines (especially if its been sitting for a while). Sometimes this can be overcome by activating the master panel switch over a series of minutes in sequence to purge the air on the gas lines.

7. Check your circuit breakers in the lower electric panel and make sure the breaker for the water heater electric element is on and working. While there check the fuse for the gas ignitor on the water heater and make sure its OK. You should either have electric heated water (if the gas side doesn't work) or gas heated water-- or both.

We had a good bit of air in our lines when we picked it up and it took a few minutes and attempts to purge them.

You have probably covered this already but just passing along just in case.

All the best.
americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
MarkS

I have a 2013 318SAB. The WH switch is on the control panel. 2nd row, last on right, I think. Open gas valves, check at stove. Turn on control panel, upper left button. Push water heater button. A little red light should turn on over it.

Both the control panel and WH buttons have to be on for the gas to light.

It is also possible that the WH is tripped. Look at the manual on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #8
Jim W

I am doing this from my memory so here goes; on my 2010 318SAB there is control wall panel as you enter by the door. The water heater switch is in this panel and I believe it is mark some like DSW… on my unit it is a blue switch. No red markings at all; this switch which is a rocker switch needs to be pushed in at the top for on and off is down. A blue light will light up when the switch is turned on.

BTW the electrical element is enough to keep us in hot water for our needs. I only turn the gas switch on once a season to ensure that it is working. Since I am paying for the electrical service already I do not want to use my propane.
Hope this helps?
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
superdog404
Gone Traveling

Wow, thanks for all the help. Our electronic control panel at the door is labeled DSI Water Heater. When it is on it has a red led lit. I turned the small black switch at the water heater off and I think it has been running on gas. It's been raining here so I haven't been doing to much investigating. Soon as its stops raining I'll check things out better.