Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
FamilyO

Adding a bike rack to the Cougar bumper

We take delivery of our 2013 Cougar this week and are planning our first trip. On our previous camper we had a hitch on the back bumper where we attached a bike rack. In looking at the Cougar we are concerned about the bumper supporting a bike rack. Has anyone ever tried it? Do you have any other suggestions? We usually take two or three adults bikes on our trips.
Thanks for your help!
FamilyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I think almost everyone on here would caution you about adding a bike rack to the bumper without first doing some modifications. Some members have had bike receivers welded not to the bumper but to the frame. Others have had modifications made directly to the bumper to strengthen it.
If you do a forum search, there are a lot of posts/threads about this very topic. Some members have included photos of the modifications.
Rather than start this topic all over again, you might want to search the forum for this already thoroughly discussed topic. If you read these posts, I am sure many of your concerns and questions will be answered. If you can't find enough information and suggestions after your search, we'd be pleased to help you out.

(I don't want to put off answering your question more thoroughly but I would be repeating what has already been said about bike racks many times before. Also, welcome to the forum!)
Old 07-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
rjsurfer

I agree with Festus be very careful with adding any extra weight to the bumper.

What I did was remove the rear spare tire and carrier, I now carry the spare in truck bed. Then I added a bike rack to the bumper. The total weight on the bumper is now less than before.

I also check the bumper mounting points and welds before any trip.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
The Sod Father

Don't do it. I will go one step further and suggest that if you value your bikes, put them either inside the trailer or in the bed of your tow vehicle.

Prior to owning my Bullet, I was the proud owner of a Rockwood 8317SS. I had a receiver welded to the frame because I knew the bumper would not be able to handle 2 mountain bikes and a spare tire. What I DIDN'T realize was that, unlike a passenger vehicle, the trailer suspension is not dampened by shock absorbers. Ergo, every bump in the road is transmitted through the bike rack and to the bikes. Result? the bikes and bike rack take a beating. I had a Yakima hitch rack literally fall apart during a 12 hour trip. I lost parts but fortunately did not lose bikes.

Now I use bike bags and keep the bikes inside the trailer. The trailer stays clean and the bikes get to bounce on their tires so shock is absorbed.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Outbackmel

Bike carrier

I hauled 2 mtn bikes all over with the only issue being the bounce. I JUST put a Swagman type hauler which supports tires separately, removed that huge, heavy spare and ready to rock and roll. The weight is likely less, certainly not more. The bikes are more secure in this type of carrier.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
therink

It all depends the qulity of bumper and welds that Keystone decided to give you. I was lucky to have a good solid tube and a good factory weld job to the frame.
I installed a two piece bolt on 4 bike rack (the type that the bike tires fit into grooves). It has 4 points that clamp to the bumper (very heavy duty). I purchased 1/8" stock steel from Lowes and placed the pieces on the top and bottom sides of bumper tube to provide reinforcement between the tube and the bike rack brackets. The rack has been unbelievably stable and doesn't move a bit with me jumping on it or loaded with 3 bikes going down the road. h
It had worked well for 3 years now. It is important that your bumper is up to the task before considering a rack. Warranty will not cover damage from aftermarket installed equip.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
coburke4

Keystone Bumper

The Keystone bumper is Not a good option to attach a bike rack. I recently put on a receiver hitch on my Cougar XLite. Welded 2 pieces of 3 inch channel to the frame. Then welded 2 inch receiver tubing to 3 inch channel. Materials cost $65.00 not counting the welding rod. This recover hitch will hold up to any bike rack. Yakima receiver bike racks are the best. Look at the Holdup 2 & 4 rack.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
alien_scones

Can you upload pics of the results?

Does anyone have any pictures to describe a "poor bumper weld" ?

I have the bolt-on 2" receiver hitch and a Yakima 4 bike rack. Both the Yakima and spare tire ride along the 4" bumper tube. The weld appears solid with a nice consistent bead. No sign of strain after a 2,000 mile trip.
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

alien scones -

If you have the spare tire, the bike rack and possibly 4 bikes supported only by your RV's bumper, I think that setup is an accident waiting to happen. You may have travelled 2000 miles without any problem and may travel more miles without incident -- BUT..... What if you were travelling down a busy freeway, the whole thing suddenly gave way and caused a horrific accident involving vehicles travelling behind you?
The bumper is just not designed to take that much weight and stress bouncing up and down while going down the road.
Why take the chance that nothing will happen?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Jay D

Has anyone looked into a hitch on the front of the truck??? I saw one on Chevy this past weekend.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
Philip Saran

I called Keystone and asked about adding the bike rack, tech dept's answer was, no
bumper was only rated to hold 150 lbs and I already have a spare tire back there.

I carry my two bikes in the bed of my truck.
Philip Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
therink

Here are photos of my bumper mounted rack. 2nd photo shows the stock pieces of reinforcing steel that I have sandwiched in between the bumper tube and brackets. Both upper and lower sides. There is literally no flex or bouncing of the rack whatsoever. I have personally ridden behind my trailer on a bumpy highway to verify this. I also use ratchet straps to tightly secure the bikes to the rack to eliminate any movement.
Going on 3 yrs with this set up and no sign of fatigue to bumper or welds. I will say that without the upper and lower reinforcing steel, the bumper will flatten upon tightening of the bracket bolts. The bumper material is quite thin. Also notice that my bumper is also wrapped with aluminum diamond plate (came from factory with it) . I think this has added strength to the tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20120731_171939.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1657   Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20120731_172015.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1658  

Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
Johnnyfry

Bike rack

Like outbackmel I use s Swagman rack which holds the tires. I keep the tire in the truck and run a nylon ratchet cargo strap through the bike frames to the ladder. This helps prevent vibration and puts some of the load on the ladder.

It has worked for me for more than 20K miles including the Alaska highway with no problems. I check for cracks and have found none.

Do not pull the sliding rack out under any circumstances as it increases the lever arm strain.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
Johnnyfry

Error

I meant to say that I keep the trailer spare in the truck bed, not the bike tires.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
I meant to say that I keep the trailer spare in the truck bed, not the bike tires.

John
I removed the spare from the bumper and carry in the truck bed as well.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Removing the spare goes a long way in reducing the amount of weight and stress on the bumper. If you leave the spare on and add a bike rack with bikes to an unreinforced bumper --- you are asking for trouble, IMO.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #17
ktosv

Quote:
No sign of strain after a 2,000 mile trip.
It's not the immediate failure to be concerned about (all though it could happen). The bumper will fail under fatigue. I know someone who's hitch receiver mounted to their frame failed after a few years.

There are several things that factor into how well putting bikes at the back of a trailer will work. The longer the distance between the rear axle and the bikes the larger the beating and larger the force that will be put on the bumper (and or hitch, welds, etc) due to bumps and bouncing.

With our previous trailer that was 24', I had a receiver made and I installed it myself. In seven years of camping I never had a problem. When we upgraded I adapted that receiver to fit the new trailer. But due to the length of the trailer I try not to use the rack as much and only put two bikes on for long trips and only put four bikes on for local trips (<20 miles).

Removing the spare tire helps, but my bike rack sticks out about 1' from the tire. Even with two 25# bikes on the rack, that bike rack will exert more force on the bumper than the spare tire alone.
ktosv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #18
Philip Saran

You can add a hitch to your front bumper/frame, the quote I got was
a little less than $300 installed. I'm looking at that idea since I need
to add a cab high shell to my truck for secure storage.
Philip Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #19
ebomb

well i guess i was a little to late to the forum as i just bought a new 4 place thule bike rack and a 2'' receiver to u bolt to the bumper so i didn't have to put the bikes in the bed. but i also noticed on my 2012 29rbk cougar that my bumper doesn't stick out as far, it has the spare and grill attachment on there to. the bumper only stick out halfway past the back wall of the camper. i guess i should call keystone and find out
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
Festus2
Site Team

If you have your spare tire, a BBQ attachment AND a bike rack capable of holding 4 bikes, most of which are attached by U-bolts to an unreinforced, flimsy bumper, this is a very unsafe arrangement - regardless of how far your bumper extends past the end of the camper.

I'd be very surprised if Keystone told you that this setup is just fine and carrying up to 4 bikes would be okay. I certainly wouldn't want to be following you when you are going down the freeway or any highway with all that stuff u-bolted to your bumper.

It's not too late to make this situation safe for everyone by making some proper modifications by welding the 2" receiver directly to your frame. Take the tire and put it in the back of your TV.

There are numerous posts and threads here on the forum about bike racks along with some excellent, mods that others have done so that they can safely carry bikes. Try doing a forum search and check these out.